All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Central London Go Club
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:11 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I'm going to be in London for a few days in August. I hope to visit the CLGC on Saturday Aug 20th. The official hours on the web are 14:00-21:00. In practice, is this accurate?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Central London Go Club
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:45 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 67
Yes.
http://www.londongo.org.uk/clgc/

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:19 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 87
Was liked: 20
KGS: cockroach, hobosaurus
If you are available on Friday then there is also the London City Go club http://www.citygoplayers.org.uk/

We meet in a pub, so it can be a little noisy. Turnout is anything from 6 to 16. Usually (but not always) we are in a separate mezzanine section in full sight of the bar. Food is available until 8pm.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:06 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
richardamullens wrote:
If you are available on Friday then there is also the London City Go club http://www.citygoplayers.org.uk/

We meet in a pub, so it can be a little noisy. Turnout is anything from 6 to 16. Usually (but not always) we are in a separate mezzanine section in full sight of the bar. Food is available until 8pm.

Thanks, but have other things planned for that evening. Wife has this silly idea that there are better things to do in London than play go. Something about theater. We have theaters in the US, right?

PeterHB wrote:

Thanks for this too. I had already looked at it. But traveling has taught me that about half of the functioning web pages do not actually mean that someone will really be there to play. ( Pardon me for being cynical about it, but I've encountered too many empty clubs and locked doors. ) It is good to read confirmation from a real person.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 87
Was liked: 20
KGS: cockroach, hobosaurus
OK, I understand !

The CLGC will charge you a £4 board fee I believe, but it is a good venue. Make sure you know where you're going and you'll find it without trouble.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:09 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
We have theaters in the US, right?

But not go clubs? :mrgreen:

Post #7 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:05 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Wife has this silly idea that there are better things to do in London than play go.

Not silly enough. In my case, wife has this silly idea of spending the last weekend in Bordeaux without me participating in the weekend tournament of EGC 2011. Of course I had the better idea in that case not to go to Bordeaux at all :)

Post #8 Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:45 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2339
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
entropi wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Wife has this silly idea that there are better things to do in London than play go.

Not silly enough. In my case, wife has this silly idea of spending the last weekend in Bordeaux without me participating in the weekend tournament of EGC 2011. Of course I had the better idea in that case not to go to Bordeaux at all :)

I'm not sure this isn't a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face (as they say). I have yet to go there myself, but I imagine there are worse places to spend the weekend than Bordeaux. :D

Post #9 Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 71
GD Posts: 175
ez4u wrote:
entropi wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

I'm not sure this isn't a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face (as they say). I have yet to go there myself, but I imagine there are worse places to spend the weekend than Bordeaux. :D

Well, as I read my post again, it sounds much more dramatic than the situation was :)

In fact the original idea was to go to Bordeaux because of EGC. But then the question arose what my 6 months pregnant wife would do there together with my 3,5 years old daughter while I was playing the whole day.

Since I had told her that there are also other activities within EGC other than playing (like lectures, pro game reviews, or just some chatting with fellow players), she rightfully asked me something like what if we go there and you don't play in the tournament. That's all.

And the real reason why we didn't go to Bordeaux was because I was too lazy to drive 11 hours. So what I wrote was a kind of caricaturization of the situation :mrgreen:

This post by entropi was liked by: topazg

Post #10 Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 4
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
I'm going to be in London for a few days in August. I hope to visit the CLGC on Saturday Aug 20th. The official hours on the web are 14:00-21:00. In practice, is this accurate?
Thanks

Ring the bell, and when you hear a lady speaking to you in Japanese, just reply 'Go club, please' and she'll let you in.

There are also South/North/Wanstead go club in London on Monday/Tuesday/Thursday and other clubs (Wanstead may close during Aug?). `But your wife's correct, there's more fun things to do in London :)