It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #1 Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:05 pm 
Beginner
User avatar

Posts: 14
Liked others: 1
Was liked: 6
Rank: AGA 3K
Regular readers know that The Seattle Go Center is suing the Nihon Ki-in over its decision to sell the building that has housed it since its inception. The Nihon Ki-in says they are doing this to support The New York Go Center, but the unilateral manner in which the decision was made raises questions regarding the future of all of the Iwamoto Go Centers.

Nearly twenty years ago, Iwamoto Sensei donated millions of dollars to establish international Go Centers throughout the world. Now that investment is in jeopardy, but perhaps we can do something to help. As a show of support, let's "like" the three Iwamoto Go Centers that have Facebook pages: The Seattle Go Centerhttp://www.facebook.com/pages/Seattle-Go-Center/141848944288?ref=ts, The New York Go Center http://www.facebook.com/NYGoCenter and The European Go Cultural Centre http://www.facebook.com/harry.vd.krogt. This public groundswell of support could open the door to a more effective partnership between the Nihon Ki-in and Western Go.

If you agree, I hope you will also ask your Go-playing friends to "like" The Iwamoto Centers too. Either way, thanks for taking the time to read this message.


This post by kibi was liked by 3 people: judicata, Redbeard, xed_over
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #2 Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 pm 
Tengen

Posts: 4803
Liked others: 0
Was liked: 649
kibi wrote:
let's "like" the three Iwamoto Go Centers that have Facebook pages


I like those go centers I have seen (Amstelveen, Seattle) but Facebook is not a service I use.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #3 Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:47 pm 
Lives with ko

Posts: 255
Location: Miyazaki, Japan
Liked others: 345
Was liked: 66
I like what Iwamoto has done to promote go internationally. However, I don't like nor use facetome.

:grumpy:

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #4 Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 pm 
Lives in sente

Posts: 705
Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
I thought the Japanese weren't much into Facebook.

The Nihon Kiin doesn't even have a Facebook page itself.

I'm not saying the effort isn't worth it, but I wouldn't expect much.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #5 Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:12 pm 
Oza
User avatar

Posts: 2777
Location: Seattle, WA
Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
snorri wrote:
I thought the Japanese weren't much into Facebook.

The Nihon Kiin doesn't even have a Facebook page itself.

I'm not saying the effort isn't worth it, but I wouldn't expect much.


Actually the Nihon Kiin does. I read a lot of news off of it.

https://www.facebook.com/nihonkiin

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #6 Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 am 
Dies with sente
User avatar

Posts: 105
Location: Espoo, Finland
Liked others: 1
Was liked: 21
GD Posts: 731
Could you get a few million likes that actually do something useful, such as donating two dollars each for a fund for buying the buildings from Nihon Kiin?

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #7 Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:24 am 
Lives in sente

Posts: 705
Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
oren wrote:
Actually the Nihon Kiin does. I read a lot of news off of it.

https://www.facebook.com/nihonkiin


You're right. I did the laziest possible search, probably made a typo and missed this. Thanks! Only 378 likes an that page as of this post, though, so... :scratch:

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #8 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:36 am 
Lives with ko

Posts: 178
Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
Rank: 2 dan
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
I was under the impression that the AGA decided to sell the building. It was the Nihon Ki-in's decision? I didn't know that.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #9 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1635
Location: Ponte Vedra
Liked others: 638
Was liked: 489
Universal go server handle: Bantari
What is the reason to be so reluctant to use Facebook?!?
Just asking...

_________________
- Bantari
______________________________________________
WARNING: This post might contain Opinions!!

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #10 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:56 am 
Honinbo

Posts: 8887
Liked others: 2657
Was liked: 3017
Bantari wrote:
What is the reason to be so reluctant to use Facebook?!?
Just asking...


Security, or the lack thereof.

_________________
The Adkins Principle:

At some point, doesn't thinking have to go on?

— Winona Adkins

I think it's a great idea to talk during sex, as long as it's about snooker.

— Steve Davis

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #11 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:00 pm 
Oza

Posts: 2463
Location: DC
Liked others: 145
Was liked: 435
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
usagi wrote:
I was under the impression that the AGA decided to sell the building. It was the Nihon Ki-in's decision? I didn't know that.


This is all water under the bridge at this point, as this has been resolved since last summer at least. Everything is staying roughly as it was, in terms of the go center remaining open in the same spot.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #12 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:10 pm 
Oza

Posts: 2286
Location: Ireland
Liked others: 651
Was liked: 412
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Bill Spight wrote:
Bantari wrote:
What is the reason to be so reluctant to use Facebook?!?
Just asking...


Security, or the lack thereof.


Which is only an issue if you put up non-public info on there to start with.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #13 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:34 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1635
Location: Ponte Vedra
Liked others: 638
Was liked: 489
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Boidhre wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Bantari wrote:
What is the reason to be so reluctant to use Facebook?!?
Just asking...


Security, or the lack thereof.


Which is only an issue if you put up non-public info on there to start with.

Exactly.
Simple rules: don't put bank account numbers there, or credit card info, stuff like that.
Make one with fake name (or real name, your name is not a secret, I guess), fake address, fake BD, and nothing to worry about. They can share this data all they want. And you still can safely use Facebook, make connections, find people, 'like' things, and so on.

I heard about this 'security' issue plenty of times, but this is so easily circumvented than I think there must be something more to it. Like: its cool and macho to go against what everybody else does, something like that. Just curious...

_________________
- Bantari
______________________________________________
WARNING: This post might contain Opinions!!

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #14 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:44 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1572
Liked others: 371
Was liked: 295
Rank: 2d-2k
Bantari wrote:
Simple rules: don't put bank account numbers there, or credit card info, stuff like that.
Make one with fake name (or real name, your name is not a secret, I guess), fake address, fake BD, and nothing to worry about. They can share this data all they want. And you still can safely use Facebook, make connections, find people, 'like' things, and so on.


Even more simple: Don't have the hassle in the first place : )

_________________
My "guide" to become stronger in Go


This post by SoDesuNe was liked by: imabuddha
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #15 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:35 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1635
Location: Ponte Vedra
Liked others: 638
Was liked: 489
Universal go server handle: Bantari
SoDesuNe wrote:
Bantari wrote:
Simple rules: don't put bank account numbers there, or credit card info, stuff like that.
Make one with fake name (or real name, your name is not a secret, I guess), fake address, fake BD, and nothing to worry about. They can share this data all they want. And you still can safely use Facebook, make connections, find people, 'like' things, and so on.


Even more simple: Don't have the hassle in the first place : )


What 'hassle'? You create an account, takes 20 sec or so... and then you can use it.
If you see no reason to use, its a different story.

But complaining about how much 'hassle' it is or how you are afraid of bad 'security' - it is just missing the point, I think.

_________________
- Bantari
______________________________________________
WARNING: This post might contain Opinions!!

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #16 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:52 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1572
Liked others: 371
Was liked: 295
Rank: 2d-2k
Bantari wrote:
SoDesuNe wrote:
Bantari wrote:
Simple rules: don't put bank account numbers there, or credit card info, stuff like that.
Make one with fake name (or real name, your name is not a secret, I guess), fake address, fake BD, and nothing to worry about. They can share this data all they want. And you still can safely use Facebook, make connections, find people, 'like' things, and so on.


Even more simple: Don't have the hassle in the first place : )


What 'hassle'? You create an account, takes 20 sec or so... and then you can use it.
If you see no reason to use, its a different story.

But complaining about how much 'hassle' it is or how you are afraid of bad 'security' - it is just missing the point, I think.


I know from experience that this discussion could go on forever ^^ So yeah, I see no reason to use it.

_________________
My "guide" to become stronger in Go

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #17 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:53 pm 
Oza

Posts: 2463
Location: DC
Liked others: 145
Was liked: 435
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Bantari wrote:
Boidhre wrote:
Which is only an issue if you put up non-public info on there to start with.

Exactly.
Simple rules: don't put bank account numbers there, or credit card info, stuff like that.
Make one with fake name (or real name, your name is not a secret, I guess), fake address, fake BD, and nothing to worry about. They can share this data all they want. And you still can safely use Facebook, make connections, find people, 'like' things, and so on.

I heard about this 'security' issue plenty of times, but this is so easily circumvented than I think there must be something more to it. Like: its cool and macho to go against what everybody else does, something like that. Just curious...


The problem is when other people start posting things about you that you don't want public but are now irrevocably linked to your account without your consent.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #18 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:40 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1635
Location: Ponte Vedra
Liked others: 638
Was liked: 489
Universal go server handle: Bantari
skydyr wrote:
Bantari wrote:
Boidhre wrote:
Which is only an issue if you put up non-public info on there to start with.

Exactly.
Simple rules: don't put bank account numbers there, or credit card info, stuff like that.
Make one with fake name (or real name, your name is not a secret, I guess), fake address, fake BD, and nothing to worry about. They can share this data all they want. And you still can safely use Facebook, make connections, find people, 'like' things, and so on.

I heard about this 'security' issue plenty of times, but this is so easily circumvented than I think there must be something more to it. Like: its cool and macho to go against what everybody else does, something like that. Just curious...


The problem is when other people start posting things about you that you don't want public but are now irrevocably linked to your account without your consent.

If you put a fake name, what does it matter? Your friends know who you are, and its probably them who posted the things about you anyways, but otherwise it is probably meaningless, no? Plus - why would people post such stuff?

_________________
- Bantari
______________________________________________
WARNING: This post might contain Opinions!!

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #19 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:47 pm 
Oza

Posts: 2463
Location: DC
Liked others: 145
Was liked: 435
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Bantari wrote:
skydyr wrote:
The problem is when other people start posting things about you that you don't want public but are now irrevocably linked to your account without your consent.

If you put a fake name, what does it matter? Your friends know who you are, and its probably them who posted the things about you anyways, but otherwise it is probably meaningless, no? Plus - why would people post such stuff?


I assume because they don't think about it. I know quite a few people who have a habit of taking pictures of activities with their cameras and then going through and tagging everyone in the photo, for example.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Do you "like" the Iwamoto Go Centers?
Post #20 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:04 pm 
Oza
User avatar

Posts: 2160
Location: Germany
Liked others: 7906
Was liked: 896
Rank: OGS SDK
Universal go server handle: trohde
skydyr wrote:
[..] tagging everyone in the photo

I simply disabled that.

But I agree that FB Is Bad. As is the whole net. Wherever on the net you say something, you could just as well shout it across the marketplace. This has to be known.

_________________
“The only difference between me and a madman is that I’m not mad.” — Salvador Dali ★ Play a slooooow correspondence game with me on OGS? :)


This post by Bonobo was liked by: Bantari
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group