This post by yoyoma was liked by: xed_over

Post subject: Re: Who's coming to congress 2014
Post #22 Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
often: are you Kevin Huang who translated Xie He's reviews? If so thanks a lot, was great!

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Shawn Ligocki

Post #23 Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:06 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 81
KGS: often
Uberdude wrote:
often: are you Kevin Huang who translated Xie He's reviews? If so thanks a lot, was great!

that was me, tho' i'm not sure why they keep mispelling my last name, it was "Hwang" not "Huang". haha

i'm glad you liked it

and yes... it might've been "interpretation" instead of "translation"
but whatever

Post subject:
Post #24 Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:19 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
often wrote:
i'm not sure why they keep mispelling my last name, it was "Hwang" not "Huang". haha
One potential reason: the former spelling is Taiwanese, the latter pinyin.

Post subject: Re:
Post #25 Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
EdLee wrote:
Quote:
also translated a bunch for chinese pros.
A professional translator mentioned that that was not translation, but interpretation. :mrgreen:

From what I gather, pretty much all translation between Chinese and Western languages is interpretation.

This post by daal was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #26 Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
daal wrote:
EdLee wrote:
Quote:
also translated a bunch for chinese pros.
A professional translator mentioned that that was not translation, but interpretation. :mrgreen:

From what I gather, pretty much all translation between Chinese and Western languages is interpretation.

Fixed that for you ;-)

Post #27 Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:52 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 19
KGS: sligocki
Online playing schedule: Ad hoc
Just to clarify, a quick search yields:
Quote:
The difference between interpreting and translation is only the difference in the medium: the interpreter translates orally, while a translator interprets written text.

And thanks for interpreting, Kevin! You really passed on the feeling of Ding Bo and Xie He ("Ah, now you have the courage to attack" :) )

Post subject: Re:
Post #28 Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:20 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
EdLee wrote:
often wrote:
i'm not sure why they keep mispelling my last name, it was "Hwang" not "Huang". haha
One potential reason: the former spelling is Taiwanese, the latter pinyin.

The other potential reason is much less complicated, since we wouldn't know the difference between Chinese and Taiwanese spellings -- we don't know how to spell (and no one has corrected us)

I sent the ejournal editor a correction.

Post #29 Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Shawn Ligocki wrote:
Quote:
The difference between interpreting and translation is only the difference in the medium: the interpreter translates orally, while a translator interprets written text.

Bringing in the interpreter muddies the discussion, which has to do with the verb "to interpret," which involves explaining what someone means. Translators do their best to present the intended meaning of a written statement, and interpreters try to do the same with verbal communications. Between some languages, this is largely a matter of passing on the literal meanings of what was written or said. My point was that a literal translation may suffice for some languages, but not necessarily for Chinese. for example, if an interpreter tells an American businessman that his Chinese counterpart said that he thinks the proposal is excellent, he just has to speak to his boss about it, the American may still need the statement interpreted, because the words alone do not convey the intention of the statement, which may in fact be to reject the proposal. This level of interpretation is not as high between speakers of Western languages, where culturally based misunderstandings of literal translations are not as likely.

To illustrate this in the best possible way, let me offer a few anecdotes. (Did you immediately detect irony? Where are you from?) When I first came to Berlin, I worked for a while doing construction, and was at first baffled to hear my colleagues shouting "Mahlzeit!" (mealtime) at all hours of the day. It didn't take long to figure out however that this was just a form of greeting, and soon I was shouting it back at them. If I had had an interpreter, he wouldn't have translated Mahlzeit as "mealtime," but rather as "hello." In contrast, I recently read about Chinese tourists going hungry while visiting acquaintances in the West. What happens is that they are offered something to eat, and they politely decline it in the assumption that their host will continue to offer until they give in and accept. Apparently that's what Chinese hosts do, but Western hosts don't, and after saying "no thank you" once, they've missed their chance and no amount of rumbling in their stomachs is enough to overcome the embarrassment that asking for some food would then entail. What would the Chinese person's interpreter have needed to say? More than just "would you like something to eat." Prost Mahlzeit!

Post #30 Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:27 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
As promised here is the video of Kevin's serenade to his teacher, Jennie Shen:

err, I thought this would be easy. Does anybody know how to embed this? Thanks.

Do folks have photos or stories they'd like to share? Damned if I'll be the only one. :)

Fixed, thanks Shawn.

Last edited by wineandgolover on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #31 Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:25 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 19
KGS: sligocki
Online playing schedule: Ad hoc
wineandgolover wrote:
As promised here is the video of Kevin's serenade:

err, I thought this would be easy. Does anybody know how to embed this? Thanks.

Do folks have photos or stories they'd like to share? Damned if I'll be the only one. :)

Just put the part after the / in the tag like I did above (You can click Quote to see the source code).

This post by Shawn Ligocki was liked by: wineandgolover

Post #32 Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:47 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 81
KGS: often
Shawn Ligocki wrote:
Quote:

And thanks for interpreting, Kevin! You really passed on the feeling of Ding Bo and Xie He ("Ah, now you have the courage to attack" :) )

haha, yea
ding bo was a hoot.
my first translation effort for him was a little rocky since he didn't know the general mood/method of teaching
also was sorta like a "first date" in the way that he didn't know how i translated and i didn't know how serious he was
by the last session with him the fact that he was calling everybody a "coward" was hilarious

Xie He was pretty cool
i only translated for him like.. three times? (two game reviews, one KGS review)
he was always very reserved
my highlight for him was at the end of one game review, this chinese 7 dan was "arguing" how big his opponents moyo was with Xie He showing him why it wasn't a problem
I mention that the 7dan was chinese because he ended up conversing with Xie He entirely in chinese which led me to translating the whole conversation
i think/hope the crowd got a kick out of it just to see a 7dan show the same "fears" and "worries" any other player would

a snippet of the conversation went like so:
7d: "Look at what white surrounded, how can anything i do affect that?"
XH: "Well you have these two sente points here that are big and reduce his territory and a simple reduction from the top and it's only 25 points"
7d: "But isn't that big?"
XH: "It really isn't as big as you think it is"
7d: "But i thought it was huge!"
XH: "It really isn't as big as you think it is"

so on and so forth

-----

on a side note
for future congressess if i'll be translating i'll probably write a note to the side of the pros lecture/game reviews i'll be translating for to let people know
the biggest problem i think with the chinese pros is that there is no pro that consistently shows up like Kansai Kiin's Maeda.
so every year i have to drum up interest and consistently advertise for the pros i do stuff for, that way at least there is SOME prior stability and interaction
it was definitley like this for last year's Chen Wei, and to some extent, this year's Ding Bo.
Chen Wei's lectures last year were like.... 5 for the first... 7 for the second and by his last "lecture" it was about 20 people. I say "lecture" because it was ACTUALLY a game review, but i decided so many people missed (or forgot) his first lecture that people would be better off getting his first lecture again. thankfully the crowd and Chen Wei agreed to this change (and hopefully got a lot out of it).

This post by often was liked by 2 people: seigenblues, Shawn Ligocki