It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Am I the only one annoyed with the E0journal format?
Post #21 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:34 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
shimari wrote:
Bantari - The members edition contains commented games every week. These are often professional games, and they are commented by top pros like Michael Redmond. This content alone is worth the upgrade to full AGA membership, in my opinion.

On the contrary. Once they went to an Ejournal I never looked at the games. I used to enjoy looking over them in the printed version but I dislike looking through games in an SGF viewer. It just doesn't have the same feel as seeing it on a printed page.

Post #22 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:38 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
Clearly, you need an iPad :mrgreen:

Post #23 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:46 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
DrStraw wrote:
shimari wrote:
Bantari - The members edition contains commented games every week. These are often professional games, and they are commented by top pros like Michael Redmond. This content alone is worth the upgrade to full AGA membership, in my opinion.

On the contrary. Once they went to an Ejournal I never looked at the games. I used to enjoy looking over them in the printed version but I dislike looking through games in an SGF viewer. It just doesn't have the same feel as seeing it on a printed page.

I wasn't a member when they printed the journal on paper (which is what seems to be implied here), but I agree with the sentiment. I actually had a bit of discussion about this over email with Allan A., the current AGA president. He said that the cost of mailing it out would be on the order of $10,000 a year, so it wasn't feasible to print out hard copies.

I wonder if you could pay an extra $5 or so a year for membership in order to pay for the postage of a monthly hardcopy (depending on where your mailing address was).

Post #24 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Why not a simple PDF that is nicely formatted and can be downloaded? It gives people the choice of reading it electronically or printing a hard copy out and reading it in bed.

Edit: it would be a newsletter and I would certainly volunteer my time to produce it. That way, Chris could deflect all the formatting complaints on me. :mrgreen: Ok, bad idea...