It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What would you like to see the AGA do in the next year?
Post #21 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 94
Was liked: 53
GD Posts: 54
vash3g wrote:
This page is a bit out of date, but it includes some of the information you're looking for: http://www.usgo.org/your-chapter-and-you

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Idea 1
I don't know how the AGA would police it, but offering a discount on Go Congress registration fees would be a way to provide a tangible benefit associated owning and operating an AGA listed local club that meets biweekly at least.

Perhaps it could be given in exchange for a yearly report detailing what is happening in the club. This could be made public on the site to give more information for people looking to join clubs.

Outreach to local clubs could be improved and the database of local clubs operating reworked too. I can offer feedback on New York City clubs.

Idea 2
I'm sure you remember Igolocal. The AGA might consider plotting a map of its members. It'd be an interesting infographic even if there is no personally identifiable information on it or way of contacting individuals to try to connect.

Taking it one step further, how about creating some sort of system by which a member can attempt to initiate contact with a nearby member? You could give an approve/decline option, or something like this. Could this be done in conjunction with the member portal?

I wouldn't mind having my rank listed on a map and giving another AGA member the opportunity to reach out to me anonymously.

Idea 2.1
You could even attach some sort of gaming aspect to the site mediated contact; if you use the system and connect with a local player, players could be encouraged to make the first match AGA rated. :rambo:

Visit >>>Koosh's Study Journal<<<

Post #22 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 228
Was liked: 84
I would like to see AGA use its prestige to secure re-publishing rights to out of print Go books, as well as to initiate a strong translation program to bring more CHN-JPN-KOR content into English.

Post #23 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:53 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
Drew wrote:
I would like to see AGA use its prestige to secure re-publishing rights to out of print Go books, as well as to initiate a strong translation program to bring more CHN-JPN-KOR content into English.

While that would be really awesome for us all, it does run against some of the vendors we have relationships with. We would not do as good of a job as Slate & Shell or Yutopian could with books.

Post #24 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:33 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Regarding translation of go material from Asian countries, I would be totally willing to volunteer for this if it's material in either Japanese or Korean. The difficulty would be getting permission to translate from the original content creators.

Post #25 Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:27 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 5
KGS: Nathan
I really enjoy the AGA Youtube channel. However I think it would be more useful to have a next day 20-30 minute recap of a game. It is frustrating to have this great analysis out there but the videos are way too long to go back to and get much value out of.

It could also save the presenters the trouble of staying up all night for a live stream.

Post #26 Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:49 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 55
Universal go server handle: swannod
Nathan wrote:
I really enjoy the AGA Youtube channel. However I think it would be more useful to have a next day 20-30 minute recap of a game. It is frustrating to have this great analysis out there but the videos are way too long to go back to and get much value out of.

It could also save the presenters the trouble of staying up all night for a live stream.

Or even a 15 minute recap. This worked well for the AlphaGo games.

Post #27 Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:59 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I like the idea of a recap, but at least with some of the recent videos, the already do a recap at the end covering the main points.

Myungwan asks Andrew or BadAtBaduk to point out on the board some of the turning points, and they discuss it to summarize what happened.

Post #28 Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:55 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 5
KGS: Nathan
Great that they are already providing this recap, I think there is a great group of people working on this. I was unaware of these recaps, I had given up on following the long videos. When I find time for a go video I have been going elsewhere.

Maybe they could edit his section as a stand alone video. Also they could post this on usgo.org so it is easy to find.

This post by Nathan was liked by 2 people: dfan, jeromie