All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AGA Member Ids
Post #1 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:58 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
When were they first issued? Am I right in assuming that they're given out sequentially and never reused, so that the current highest member id is equal to the total number of AGA members since they've been in use?

I ask apropos a discussion about the quantity of go players outside of East Asia. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2030&start=60

Post subject: Re: AGA Member Ids
Post #2 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:37 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
hyperpape wrote:
Am I right in assuming that they're given out sequentially and never reused, so that the current highest member id is equal to the total number of AGA members since they've been in use?

nope

for example, there are a block of numbers held in reserve for lifetime members.

also, AGA numbers are not exclusive to US citizens. Visitors from around the world who have played in one or more of our tournaments are given AGA numbers as well.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:55 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Thanks. I didn't make the connection that visitors would not be AGA members.

For lifetime members, many of them have numbers into the thousands. Is the block reserved for people who simultaneously become members and lifetime members?

Post #4 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:42 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
hyperpape wrote:
Thanks. I didn't make the connection that visitors would not be AGA members.

For lifetime members, many of them have numbers into the thousands. Is the block reserved for people who simultaneously become members and lifetime members?

lifetime members are usually offered the choice to change to a new number or not (you can only have one number at a time).

the default ListTDA file lists 16945 names/ids, the highest id on the list is 18407.
81 of those are Lifetime members (most of whom are in the range of 1-100).

Lifetime members are listed here (this list may be incomplete or out of date)
http://www.usgo.org/org/staff.html#Life

Post #5 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:10 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
The current system was implemented around 1977. All those who were members at that time were given numbers starting at 101. They were assigned alphabetically which is why Allan Abramson is 101. Those numbers went up to somewhere round about 8 or 9 hundred. New members were assigned sequential numbers after that. I am not sure if there was a gap or not. I joined in 1978 and my number is 1032. Numbers are never reused but everyone who plays in a tournament is assignment a number even if they do not join (reciprocity) and so the current number of 16000+ indicates the approximate number of people who have played in an AGA rated tournament in the last 33+ years. Numbers 1-100 were reserved and have since been used for life members, although I don't think all of them have yet been assigned.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:50 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 20
KGS: hilltopgo
IGS: hilltopgo
DrStraw wrote:
[...] so the current number of 16000+ indicates the approximate number of people who have played in an AGA rated tournament in the last 33+ years. [...]
Except, there is some number of people who join, get an AGA ID, but never play in a tournament. (Many of them also don't renew.)