Post #22 Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:47 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Wanderling wrote:
Also, will there be an L19 booth or corner? :shock:

Dunno, but I was thinking of at least getting some kind of sticker or button with my forum name and possibly also the avatar, so random strangers could accost me and yell at me for poor Malkovitch play. =D

Post subject: Re: My First (US) Congress!
Post #23 Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:27 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
yoyoma wrote:

Post #24 Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:57 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Blake Haber, a long time Go member here in Santa Barbara, just lost his home (he and his wife were renting it)
to a fire on July 8, 2011 Friday morning 02:50 am.

http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=60607
They lost basically everything. He is still hoping he can attend US Go Congress in a few weeks. :bow:
I just went over to see them; they're still "gathering/organizing" what's left from the disaster.

Post #25 Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:24 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 7
GD Posts: 1103
KGS: buzzsaw
I'm assuming you are a guy.

If you want to play in the Pair Go Tournament (and you should) try to line up a female player ahead of time if possible. If not, try to line one up on the first day before all the new female players realize how much in demand they will be.

And, no, I'm not attending this year, so you can't have me :-)

Terri

This post by goddess was liked by: hilltopgo

Post subject: Re: Get it, corner?
Post #26 Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:57 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
Chew Terr wrote:
Dunno, but I was thinking of at least getting some kind of sticker or button with my forum name and possibly also the avatar, so random strangers could accost me and yell at me for poor Malkovitch play. =D

Goddess has done this in the past and I think it is a great idea. I'm working on a secondary name tag to attach to the official AGA badge that is worn at the congress. Something like this:

This would be in a nametag holder and pinned onto the Congress badge that has my name, AGA rank, and AGA number.

whaddya think?

This post by Redbeard was liked by: Chew Terr

Post subject: Re: Get it, corner?
Post #27 Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:05 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
Redbeard wrote:
Chew Terr wrote:

Goddess has done this in the past and I think it is a great idea. I'm working on a secondary name tag to attach to the official AGA badge that is worn at the congress. Something like this:

This would be in a nametag holder and pinned onto the Congress badge that has my name, AGA rank, and AGA number.

whaddya think?

Yeah, something like this is exactly what I was thinking of.

Post #28 Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:42 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 49
I was on the UC Santa Barbara campus this last weekend for the first time in a while; I forgot how big the place is. You almost need a bike to get around.

It's a pretty campus, almost empty this time of year on the weekends, although I'm guessing there are more summer students there during the week.

I really wish I could attend this year, I'm only about 90 minutes away by car. But I'm going to be away on a trip the whole week. Maybe next time.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:05 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 20
KGS: hilltopgo
IGS: hilltopgo
PeterHB wrote:
If your camera has the feature, try the 'time lapse' option and a little 3" tripod

On my Nikon Coolpix, shutter sound off, image size to 1024x768, twisty to 'Movie', time lapse interval 30s, set auto exposure lock on, zoom to satisfactory size.

The advantage is you set it just before the game, then ignore it, concentrating on your play.

The battery lasts about 2 games.

Then transcribe into SGF.

Awesome tip! I am so going to try this.

Post #30 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 67
cdybeijing wrote:
PeterHB wrote:
If your camera has the feature, try the 'time lapse' option and a little 3" tripod

On my Nikon Coolpix, shutter sound off, image size to 1024x768, twisty to 'Movie', time lapse interval 30s, set auto exposure lock on, zoom to satisfactory size.

The advantage is you set it just before the game, then ignore it, concentrating on your play.

The battery lasts about 2 games.

Then transcribe into SGF.

If I were the opponent, I think this would greatly annoy me. How hard is it to really write it down on paper with the help of your opponent once the game is over?

I feel pretty confident that if the two players together are not at least capable of remembering the first 100 moves, then most likely the reviewer probably doesn't need to review beyond the first 100 moves either.

I understand, which is why I always ask the opponent before the game 'Do you object to me setting up my camera to record the game?'. So far I've never had an objection, and I regard it as entirely correct to respect the opponent's wish on this. I don't see it as a right but a privilege granted by the opponent. I can see that it would distract some people, which would be unfair. That is why I particularly switch off the shutter sound in the menus, as that might become annoying after a while. I also take the line that if the camera stops working ( e.g. it often runs out of battery halfway through the a game ), I ignore it and finish the game. Otherwise the interruption of fiddling with the camera might be perceived as distracting gamesmanship by the opponent. In the end, allow the opponent to have the game without the camera if they wish. That seems the right thing to do.

Post subject:
Post #31 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
PeterHB wrote:
image size to 1024x768.
I found 640x480 is very sufficient for still photos.

Post #32 Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
I always record my games at tourneys, and it doesn't stress me out at all. I used to use a palmpilot, now I use an archos 43, which is like an ipod touch for android. Here are two tips to avoid getting stressed:

1) Record your moves, and your opponents, on their turn. That way you aren't using your clock to record.

2) When you get into endgame, or if you are having time trouble, just stop recording and focus on the game.

The first 100 moves are enough for a good game review, and few pros will go beyond that anyway.