It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming AGA projects, volunteers needed, info, etc etc
Post #101 Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:09 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
pwaldron wrote:
I suggested this in 2008 (http://www.usgo.org/media/File/2008_03_ ... Report.pdf) and nothing has come of it. Given this entire process could be outsourced to a company I can only assume they're not interested or it's too expensive.

Thanks for reminding me of that report, I think it's extremely valuable. I also think that, given it's three years old, more than two things in it should have been implemented by now... Did you undertake that on your own, or was it requested by someone?

Post #102 Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:22 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Since the report mentions up to date contact information, I will chime in that chapter information on the AGA website needs to be current. Some sort of automation seems ideal, but even having an individual in charge of sending out emails could work. When I contacted other clubs regarding tournaments in 2007 and 2008, I typically got 5-10 bounced emails.

A look at the website suggests that many defunct clubs have been removed, but I'd like to know that it's more than a one time thing, that either someone or some program is in charge of reminders.

Post #103 Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:31 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
hyperpape wrote:
A look at the website suggests that many defunct clubs have been removed, but I'd like to know that it's more than a one time thing, that either someone or some program is in charge of reminders.

A "last verified as active" date could be nice. If it goes too long, someone emails and removes the club if it's disbanded.

Post #104 Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:18 pm 
Tengen

Oren wrote:
A last verified as active" date could be nice. If it goes too long, someone emails and removes the club if it's disbanded.
Yes, though I think innocent until proven guilty might be the best policy here. If it's August, and it reads "last contacted in May", that's not so long, but it will only make people have doubts. Maybe something like "all clubs contacted and active since xxxx-xx-xx unless otherwise noted", with individual clubs that are out of contact noted.

Post #105 Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:15 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
daniel_the_smith wrote:
Thanks for reminding me of that report, I think it's extremely valuable. I also think that, given it's three years old, more than two things in it should have been implemented by now... Did you undertake that on your own, or was it requested by someone?

It was a result of the volunteer's meeting at the Chicago go congress. Mike Lash really wanted it done and I volunteered to do it. It took several months but, as you point out, it didn't catalyze anything meaningful.

Post #106 Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
pwaldron wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
I've been looking at pdfs of the old BGA Journals. I'd love to see the AGA do something similar. Right now, there are ejournals available starting in 2000, but the physical journal from before then isn't available, afaik.

I suggested this in 2008 (http://www.usgo.org/media/File/2008_03_ ... Report.pdf) and nothing has come of it. Given this entire process could be outsourced to a company I can only assume they're not interested or it's too expensive.

you cant have my 30 - (maybe) 40 years of scanned pdfs of old aga journals.

Post #107 Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:26 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 265
KGS: jmp
IGS: jmpr
vash3g wrote:
pwaldron wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
I've been looking at pdfs of the old BGA Journals. I'd love to see the AGA do something similar. Right now, there are ejournals available starting in 2000, but the physical journal from before then isn't available, afaik.

you cant have my 30 - (maybe) 40 years of scanned pdfs of old aga journals.

Then maybe a certain AGA webmaster could...

Post #108 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:47 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
thread petered out a month after congress just like every year, gg

Post #109 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:55 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Well, what would you like to see added to it?

Post #110 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:15 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
pwaldron wrote:
daniel_the_smith wrote:

It was a result of the volunteer's meeting at the Chicago go congress. Mike Lash really wanted it done and I volunteered to do it. It took several months but, as you point out, it didn't catalyze anything meaningful.

One of the chapter reps wanted a better support system for chapters, like a forum. Wasn't there a chapter list-serv active once upon a time? Has that been discontinued?

Post #111 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:03 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
gowan wrote:
pwaldron wrote:
daniel_the_smith wrote:

One of the chapter reps wanted a better support system for chapters, like a forum. Wasn't there a chapter list-serv active once upon a time? Has that been discontinued?

The chapter list is still down, afaik. I don't know whose responsibility it is.

Post #112 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:37 pm 
Tengen

daniel_the_smith wrote:
The chapter list is still down, afaik. I don't know whose responsibility it is.
It sounds like the webmaster's job. So if it's not, it's the webmaster's job to convince us that it's not his job. :batman:

Post #113 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:29 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 265
KGS: jmp
IGS: jmpr
hyperpape wrote:
It sounds like the webmaster's job. So if it's not, it's the webmaster's job to convince us that it's not his job. :batman:

Oh sure, blame the new guy...

The honest answer is that I don't know whose responsibility it is. As far as I can see it wasn't run through the website so I have no access to what was up before (I think it was just a glorified mailing list). We are working on the new website though a chapter forum is not on the to do list. With the new CMS it would be possible to do. I will bring up the issue and see if I get anywhere with it.

This post by Yertle was liked by: daniel_the_smith

Post #114 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:47 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
gowan wrote:
One of the chapter reps wanted a better support system for chapters, like a forum...

As noted before, L19 admins will be happy to give the AGA forum space, configured as you wish. You could have private sub forums, public...whatever you want. We are up and running now, and configuration takes an hour or two at most.

If the AGA wants a forum for chapters, it can have it tomorrow. All it has to do is ask.

Post #115 Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:20 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 20
KGS: hilltopgo
IGS: hilltopgo
Yertle wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

Oh sure, blame the new guy...

The honest answer is that I don't know whose responsibility it is. As far as I can see it wasn't run through the website so I have no access to what was up before (I think it was just a glorified mailing list). We are working on the new website though a chapter forum is not on the to do list. With the new CMS it would be possible to do. I will bring up the issue and see if I get anywhere with it.

Hi Yertle, I'm Mike -- the AGA's new Sam Zimmerman. (Wish me luck! What the heck did I get myself into?) If you have write access at usgo.org, there's some stuff we need to update. Like the PDF of a printable membership application -- we should change it so it's not Sam Z.'s home address anymore... Anyway, let's talk soon! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6