It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Congress 2013
Post #1 Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:48 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: MSGreg
The Go Congress web site lists "Join Us August 3 - 11" as the congress dates. I know last year had the symposium which was well underway Saturday morning. I would have missed part of the symposium in 2012 if Saturday was my travel day.

Are there any go-related activities or functions that would benefit me arriving Friday night (or earlier) rather than Saturday afternoon? Anything happening after Sunday at the end of Congress? If I recall, I left Sunday morning in 2012, and I didn't feel like I missed anything as many people were leaving around the same time (or had already left early morning).

Current flights to the area from my location arrive Tacoma 8pm and leave Tacoma 8am. I just don't want to miss anything because this is my one chance per year to be completely enveloped in go.

Go Tin - very portable go

Post subject: Re: Congress 2013
Post #2 Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:52 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
msgreg wrote:
The Go Congress web site lists "Join Us August 3 - 11" as the congress dates. I know last year had the symposium which was well underway Saturday morning. I would have missed part of the symposium in 2012 if Saturday was my travel day.

Are there any go-related activities or functions that would benefit me arriving Friday night (or earlier) rather than Saturday afternoon? Anything happening after Sunday at the end of Congress? If I recall, I left Sunday morning in 2012, and I didn't feel like I missed anything as many people were leaving around the same time (or had already left early morning).

For the International Symposium, the plan is to run the next one in 2014 and to continue in a biannual fashion thereafter. I don't know about other activities though.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:42 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
Hello msgreg,

Self paired games usually begin about noon Saturday. Mostly the afternoon is about registering, seeing old friends and finding your room and hopefully soccer at 4 pm. The opening ceremony is usually after dinner, either 7 or 7:30 pm with the 9x9 tournament starting about 8 or 8:30. By mid morning there enough go players about to easily find a game.

If you arrive Friday evening they would probably allow early check in, though there will be only a few people milling about setting up playing areas and registration, until mid morning Saturday. If you arrive early, you are welcome to help with registration, always a bonding experience.

If you arrive at the airport at 8 pm, you won't be settled in at PLU until 10 pm, so a little late for the full first day experience.

Steve

This post by scsfello was liked by: msgreg

Post #4 Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:22 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
The finals of the Pandanet-AGA City League will take place on that opening Saturday.