It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first real go player - RIP Don Wiener
Post #1 Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:09 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 65
Was liked: 340
GD Posts: 2428
Don Wiener was the fourth person I ever met who played go, but he was my first go player, the first person who truly inhabited the game - he played, he studied, he taught and he organized.

I had learned the game from a professor at college, and I knew of two other students who played. One January, back in 1980, the professor taught a month long course on the game. While I did not take the class, I showed up for Don's visit. After only experiencing the very laid back style of the prof, Don was a seismic shift. His energy was amazing and his laughter infectious. I recall he played the entire class 9x9 games with handicaps. I lacked 9x9 experience, so I was not one of the few winners, but I recall him complimenting my willingness to try to kill him. I failed, but he did not kill me either - I recall the final score was 5 to 2.

Later I would learn that he was one of the strongest players on the East Coast. He was a mainstay of the American Go Journal staff back in those days. I know he was extremely proud of his work on the "Keshi and Uchikomi" series in the journal, which was later publiched by Slate and Shell. Like Sam Zimmerman and Chris Kirschner, he was one of those guys who simply showed up at the Go Congress and went to work setting up and helping out wherever he could.

You could call him the "father of the AGA 7dan". The US Open, until the second Denver Congress in 2000 I believe, had always had a 5 dan section, and an open section above that, therefore, the AGA's highest rank was 6 dan. Don argued for years that he was a 6 dan, but that he could not compete with those other 6 dans, and that we should have a 6 dan section, implicitly recognizing a 7 dan rank. My recollection is he got his wish, promptly won the first ever 6 dan section, and had to play in the Open section the next year anyway.

But my fondest, and given his death from cancer, bittersweet, memories of him were playing games, usually on picnic tables outside at the go Congresses. Unlike many strong players, Don would play absolutely anyone just so long as they were willing to share his smoker's exile and put up with his running commentary on the game. Laughing with him in the summer sun are truly some of my brightest Congress memories.

august afternoons
heavy eyebrows laugh and smoke
joyful go exile

This post by HKA was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, HermanHiddema, Kirby, pwaldron, shapenaji, SoDesuNe

Post subject: Re: My first real go player - RIP Don Wiener
Post #2 Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
smoke curls in the air
stones clatter on the goban
echoing laughter

Rest in peace, old friend.

This post by pwaldron was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, HKA, Kirby

Post subject: Re: My first real go player - RIP Don Wiener
Post #3 Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 17
Universal go server handle: csobod
I regret I never had the opportunity to make this man's acquaintence, but simply from your description of him I know that the world has lost someone bright and special. My absolute condolances go out to each of us.

This post by csobod was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, Kirby, xed_over