All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tygem and the AGA's prosystem
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:45 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 1
In today's e-journal there was a comment

Quote:
The AGA will continue to look for new sponsors to replace Tygem, but will run this year’s tournament from reserves and from money earmarked for the AGA’s new professional system.

I do not remember seeing what happened to the Tygem sponsorship. Does anyone know? or is this another time where we are to be in the dark

Post subject: Re: Tygem and the AGA's prosystem
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:06 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
I know nothing about this. Also not sure why they are in a rush to find the next pros. Is anybody actually good enough?

To give credit where it's due, at least Europe seems to have secured a multi-year sponsorship.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 149
Was liked: 101
Universal go server handle: billywoods
wineandgolover wrote:
To give credit where it's due, at least Europe seems to have secured a multi-year sponsorship.

I thought America had too! :-?

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:45 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Link for the full news.

http://www.usgo.org/news/2013/07/aga-bo ... ournament/

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:31 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 1
Yes, there is more... but this was just a discussion on what happened to the sponsorship. All that was mentioned in the article was that they were no longer sponsoring it. There was a one line sentence in the board meeting minutes. you think there would have been some discussion on this. Maybe it was and it is in the "missing" minutes.

oren wrote:

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:35 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I don't know anything about boardroom discussions, but I do recall hearing about the loss of sponsorship some time ago (but I don't recall from whom), Maybe it was even before the end of the year.

But I'm not surprised either. The event never drew large crowds. Not even medium or even small crowds. No crowds at all. (I don't think there was ever more than 20 people logged on watching a game at any one time throughout the week, and most of those were probably at the event already). I think Tygem was hoping for a little bit larger turnout.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:39 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
xed_over wrote:
I think Tygem was hoping for a little bit larger turnout.

I would be interested in understanding what their metrics were in deciding whether to continue or not. Were they looking at the number of new Tygem accounts from the U.S.? The number of players on the AGA server at some time? The results of the individuals selected as the first U.S. pros? Or maybe it was just normal budgetary constraints. It just tempts speculation too much.

Sadly, transparency is still not a strength of the AGA. Anyone who is not in the meetings is in about the same position as Cold War era Kremlinologists.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 am 
Oza

snorri wrote:
Sadly, transparency is still not a strength of the AGA. Anyone who is not in the meetings is in about the same position as Cold War era Kremlinologists.

There is always the option of contacting your regional representative before throwing out cold war references.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:36 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
oren wrote:
snorri wrote:

There is always the option of contacting your regional representative before throwing out cold war references.

Or better yet... why can't our regional representatives communicate with the chapter reps in their region, who in turn would then communicate with members?

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:04 am 
Oza

xed_over wrote:
Or better yet... why can't our regional representatives communicate with the chapter reps in their region, who in turn would then communicate with members?

There is that too, but I'm not going to start throwing out cold war references until everyone in the aga area starts denying everything. :)

Post #11 Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:45 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
Board of Directors
Paul Celmer Eastern pcelmer@earthlink.net
Gurujeet Khalsa Eastern gurujeet@live.com
Lisa Scott Central lisa.scott@usgo.org
Robert Gilman Central rdgilman@centurylink.net
Steve Burrall Western sburrall@comcast.net
Chris Kirschner Western chrisk.aga@comcast.net
Edward Zhang At large agatd1@gmail.com

This is applicable for the next week until they change. It can be fond when updated @ http://www.usgo.org/who-aga#board

That was part 1. Part 2:

Things happen in "back room aga dealings". This has happened for the decades that the AGA has existed for. Get over it. Want to know what really went down? Stop bitching and ask one of the very nice people above. If they cant answer they will ask the president, if he doesn't know he will know the right person. That being said here is what I know of the "back room deals":

The fault here is not with the AGA but with Tygem. They were the ones to drop out of the deal. The AGA admins has been working to secure a new sponsor for the event. This is not an easy task. The money they spent on the first tournament was a lot and they have a different view of how it went after the fact. The president has explained that if he could do it again he would do it differently.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
vash3g wrote:
...This has happened for the decades that the AGA has existed for. Get over it. Want to know what really went down? Stop bitching and ask one of the very nice people above. ....

Perhaps such statements/attitudes contribute to the public sentiment :-)

Post #13 Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:22 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
I apologize for my earlier comment. It is not the kind of thing I should have said, since I know how hard it is for volunteer organizations.

Post #14 Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
The announcement said they will run this year's tournament. Anyone have information and when will be? Last year it was held during the week before US Go Congress. That would be right about now this year.

Post #15 Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:34 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I assume later. Last year, there were lengthy qualifiers.

Post #16 Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:20 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 17
Universal go server handle: csobod
xed_over wrote:
But I'm not surprised either. The event never drew large crowds. Not even medium or even small crowds. No crowds at all. (I don't think there was ever more than 20 people logged on watching a game at any one time throughout the week, and most of those were probably at the event already). I think Tygem was hoping for a little bit larger turnout.

I don't watch live games frequently, but I was one of these 20 apparently. And to be fair, most people would rather look at and comment on SGFs after the event.

Post #17 Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:04 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
csobod wrote:
I don't watch live games frequently, but I was one of these 20 apparently. And to be fair, most people would rather look at and comment on SGFs after the event.

I enjoy watching games live, and I've certainly seen games attract 600 live viewers on KGS. I'm sure Tygem have the potential for even more.

Post #18 Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
csobod wrote:
And to be fair, most people would rather look at and comment on SGFs after the event.

Perhaps, but if this is true, it might mean that the sponsor was ill-suited for the event (and would explain their discontinued sponsorship). Presumably the reason Tygem was willing to sponsor the AGA pro league is because they thought it would bring a large number of AGA players into their server (allowing them to recoup their sponsorship). I wouldn't be surprised if someone ran those numbers and decided it wasn't cost-effective for them to continue.