Post #1 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:39 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
http://www.usgo.org/news/2013/09/streaming-online-games/ wrote:
Streaming Online Games

Monday September 9, 2013

Popular streaming site twitch.tv is pulling in 38 million viewers a month, by streaming video gamers playing and commenting on their games. The site’s goal is to “connect gamers around the world by allowing them to broadcast, watch, and chat from everywhere they play,” according to their website. Why not stream online go games as well, asks AGA member Royce Chen? ”Streaming go games, with entertaining and informative comments made by the streamers, could potentially attract the interest of young players, especially those who are already familiar with streams of conventional games,” says Chen. “The idea is to make videos like those by TheOddOne, a popular League of Legends player, who is known for providing entertaining commentary.”

The AGA would like to recruit volunteers of any playing strength, who would stream some of their online go games. All that’s needed is a webcam and a twitch.tv account. Live streams would be promoted on the AGA Facebook page, and archived recordings can also be submitted for uploading to the new Go AGA YouTube channel, which is being managed by Shawn Ray (AKA Clossius on Youtube). Anyone interested in streaming can email Royce Chen [roycechen.go@gmail.com] for more details. Ray also plans to promote lessons from several popular online go teachers on the new Youtube channel, with archived videos from both twitch and youtube available. Subscribe to the new channel to get updates on this content. -Paul Barchilon, E-J Youth Editor

Post subject: Re: AGA Seeking twitch.tv Streamers for Go
Post #2 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:57 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Cool. I hope this works out well.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:01 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 123
Universal go server handle: speedchase
I was actually planning to do this (independent of the AGA) just for fun, but I have been too busy. I have OBS setup to, I just have to find time to actually do it.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
I've been fairly diligent this time round and have been streaming regularly for the last week or so:

http://twitch.tv/shapenaji

This post by shapenaji was liked by 2 people: emeraldemon, Sverre

Post #5 Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Who the hell in the last few years has built a site that relies on flash? Twitch.tv, that's who. Useless on iOS and many other mobile devices.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:32 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
wineandgolover wrote:
Who the hell in the last few years has built a site that relies on flash? Twitch.tv, that's who. Useless on iOS and many other mobile devices.

They have mobile apps.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:06 am 
Lives in sente

shapenaji wrote:
I've been fairly diligent this time round and have been streaming regularly for the last week or so:

if you streamed your game against twoeye, I don't see it, which is sad. I rarely see him lose in <100 moves. well done!

Post #8 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:10 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Redundant wrote:
wineandgolover wrote:

They have mobile apps.

Who wants a mobile app for every website they visit?

Post #9 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:00 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 702
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
wineandgolover wrote:
shapenaji wrote:

if you streamed your game against twoeye, I don't see it, which is sad. I rarely see him lose in <100 moves. well done!

http://www.twitch.tv/shapenaji/b/459229292

Starts at 12:41

I will say it would be nice to have the stream vods broken down into specific games / highlights. Some of the other vods start with a few minutes of technical difficulties or in the middle of a game (or streaming magnus carlsen playing scrabble).

Post #10 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:30 am 
Lives in sente

emeraldemon wrote:
wineandgolover wrote:
shapenaji wrote:

http://www.twitch.tv/shapenaji/b/459229292

Starts at 12:41

I will say it would be nice to have the stream vods broken down into specific games / highlights. Some of the other vods start with a few minutes of technical difficulties or in the middle of a game (or streaming magnus carlsen playing scrabble).

Thanks. That was impressive.

Post #11 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 408
Was liked: 422
GD Posts: 952
:) thanks, starting up the stream in about 10 min!

This post by shapenaji was liked by: snorri

Post #12 Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:08 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
speedchase wrote:
I was actually planning to do this (independent of the AGA) just for fun, but I have been too busy. I have OBS setup to, I just have to find time to actually do it.

shapenaji wrote:

Great! I'll have to catch your guys' streams sometime :)

Post #13 Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:16 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
skydyr wrote:
Redundant wrote:
wineandgolover wrote:

They have mobile apps.

Holy Strawman Batman.

Post #14 Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:45 pm 
Lives in sente

Redundant wrote:
skydyr wrote:
Redundant wrote:

They have mobile apps.

Holy Strawman Batman.

Not quite... a straw man is when someone makes an argument against an argument that wasn't actually made. Skydyr is making the argument that he doesn't like flash because it requires him to have a separate app for every flash based website he visits (which is true and not a straw-man).

Post #15 Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:15 am 
Oza

speedchase wrote:
Redundant wrote:
skydyr wrote:

Holy Strawman Batman.

Not quite... a straw man is when someone makes an argument against an argument that wasn't actually made. Skydyr is making the argument that he doesn't like flash because it requires him to have a separate app for every flash based website he visits (which is true and not a straw-man).

Exactly. To my mind, the virtue of the web is that anyone can create a site and it will work across platforms in a viewable manner without software apart from the web browser. This means that I can browse to any site I want without a prior commitment and see what's there, as well as use the same interface to go from that site to others. If every website uses flash or some other plugin and requires that I download an app to use the site on my mobile device, it has failed, because it is no longer discoverable through the same means.

For any website that requires an app on mobile devices, I now have to find out about it, decide I want it, download it, dedicate a certain amount of space on my device for as long as I plan to keep on using the site, and hope it isn't buggy. Woe unto the guy with the blackberry, or whatever phone OS is out of fashion for app developers.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:58 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I think the Strawman is that you're vastly overestimating the reliability and compatibility of modern web apps. I guess things are starting to reach a "good enough" point with the newer phones, but the browsers have been bad for quite a long time.

I do think the approach of building a responsive, standards compliant website is ultimately more accessible than writing a bunch of native apps, but the gap is smaller than you might think, and the native apps often have better performance and UI characteristics. Even discoverability is a less obvious of a distinction, since URLs present such a messed up UI for mobile devices.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:10 am 
Lives in sente

hyperpape wrote:
I think the Strawman is that you're vastly overestimating the reliability and compatibility of modern web apps.

That is not what a strawman is!

Post #18 Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:15 am 
Oza

hyperpape wrote:
I think the Strawman is that you're vastly overestimating the reliability and compatibility of modern web apps. I guess things are starting to reach a "good enough" point with the newer phones, but the browsers have been bad for quite a long time.

I do think the approach of building a responsive, standards compliant website is ultimately more accessible than writing a bunch of native apps, but the gap is smaller than you might think, and the native apps often have better performance and UI characteristics. Even discoverability is a less obvious of a distinction, since URLs present such a messed up UI for mobile devices.

Well, I also think that websites making heavy use of flash or other plugins for functionality are bad too, since they aren't easily searchable and don't link as well, though I realize many people disagree with me. Ideally, though, one would present video or other features in a standards compliant manner. Hopefully HTML 5 will help provide this, though it too may have issues.

This post by skydyr was liked by: speedchase

Post #19 Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:57 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
skydyr wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

Well, I also think that websites making heavy use of flash or other plugins for functionality are bad too, since they aren't easily searchable and don't link as well, though I realize many people disagree with me. Ideally, though, one would present video or other features in a standards compliant manner. Hopefully HTML 5 will help provide this, though it too may have issues.
I'm a 100% percent in agreement about Flash, but I think that doesn't change anything I wrote. My point was not about Flash.

Post #20 Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:14 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Quote:

Nice job beating Twoeye! Funny thing for me while watching was that shapenaji said "Maybe I can kill him?"(18:20) about 25 moves after I thought it. All the while he was thinking: "If he lives small everywhere, I win." Good learning moment for me. :)