It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #21 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:10 am 
Oza

Posts: 3990
Location: North Carolina
Liked others: 395
Was liked: 657
Rank: AGA 3k
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Kirby wrote:
Users are also allowed to register whatever accounts they'd like, and there is no requirement to play. They just have to log in every 6 months to keep the account. Whatever motives someone has for creating an account are up to them.
Indeed. Shame to see such anti-freedom double-think from people who want to keep this shadowy figure from squatting on the usernames.

_________________
Occupy Babel!

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re:
Post #22 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:19 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1996
Location: Germany
Liked others: 7201
Was liked: 809
Rank: OGS + EGF DDK
OGS: trohde
Ed, re: natas
EdLee wrote:
Bonobo wrote:
friend of mine who wouldn't eat natas
Hi Tom, is that Portuguese egg tart ?
[..]
Yes, these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastel_de_nata

Dang, now I want some, but I’d have to ride 60 km to the next Portuguese café (which is in Hamburg), and by now there wouldn’t be any left … next time I’m there I must get a dozen or more. Guess I’d devour them all in a minute :lol:

_________________
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” — Mark Twain ★ Come and play on OGS

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #23 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:32 pm 
Judan

Posts: 7446
Liked others: 1353
Was liked: 1146
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
hyperpape wrote:
Kirby wrote:
Users are also allowed to register whatever accounts they'd like, and there is no requirement to play. They just have to log in every 6 months to keep the account. Whatever motives someone has for creating an account are up to them.
Indeed. Shame to see such anti-freedom double-think from people who want to keep this shadowy figure from squatting on the usernames.


Not really sure what your point is, so I won't agree or disagree.

Personally, I have a couple of accounts that I don't play on much, if at all, which I just login to periodically so that people don't take them.

I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong at all.

If so many people think this is a problem, it's a problem with KGS, not the users. For example, if playing go on the account should be required, then include this in the account expiry policy.

_________________
Discipline is remembering what you want. -David Campbell

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #24 Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:59 pm 
Lives in sente

Posts: 833
Liked others: 24
Was liked: 168
Some people go out of their way to be offended. There was one admin who proposed that all accounts which held the name of a politician or a deity be blocked. This would have decimated the user base and was frankly a moronic proposition.

_________________
North Lecale


This post by Javaness2 was liked by: LocoRon
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #25 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:06 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1996
Location: Germany
Liked others: 7201
Was liked: 809
Rank: OGS + EGF DDK
OGS: trohde
Javaness2 wrote:
Some people go out of their way to be offended.

Yeah … there’s this joke about an old lady who called the police because of her neighbor who, as she said, was standing at his window, naked

When the police people arrived and looked out of her window, they couldn't see anything.

The lady shoved a stool towards the window and said, “here, you’ll see it if you stand on the stool.”

_________________
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” — Mark Twain ★ Come and play on OGS

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #26 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:35 am 
Tengen

Posts: 4047
Location: Cambridge, UK
Liked others: 144
Was liked: 1991
Rank: UK 4 dan
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I suppose we should be glad there aren't more serious problems in the world to complain about than username squatters on KGS /s

If you want to see a mysterious username censor, try to register vvms: you can't and it says in use, but if you try to view that user it doesn't exist. My guess is wms (KGS creator) banned it due to the similarity to his username.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #27 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:38 am 
Oza

Posts: 2182
Location: ʍoquıɐɹ ǝɥʇ ɹǝʌo 'ǝɹǝɥʍǝɯos
Liked others: 237
Was liked: 659
Rank: AGA 5d
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Uberdude wrote:
I suppose we should be glad there aren't more serious problems in the world to complain about than username squatters on KGS /s

If you want to see a mysterious username censor, try to register vvms: you can't and it says in use, but if you try to view that user it doesn't exist. My guess is wms (KGS creator) banned it due to the similarity to his username.

How about "w rn s"?

_________________
Still officially AGA 5d but I play so irregularly these days that I am probably only 3d or 4d over the board (but hopefully still 5d in terms of knowledge, theory and the ability to contribute).

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #28 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:10 am 
Oza

Posts: 3990
Location: North Carolina
Liked others: 395
Was liked: 657
Rank: AGA 3k
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I'm semi-seriously agreeing with you, Kirby. The OP wants to prevent squatting on those user-names.

_________________
Occupy Babel!

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #29 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:40 am 
Judan

Posts: 7446
Liked others: 1353
Was liked: 1146
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Uberdude wrote:
I suppose we should be glad there aren't more serious problems in the world to complain about than username squatters on KGS /s

If you want to see a mysterious username censor, try to register vvms: you can't and it says in use, but if you try to view that user it doesn't exist. My guess is wms (KGS creator) banned it due to the similarity to his username.


Not only 'vvms'. I'm not able to check right now, but I recall issues with registering names like 'NyanjiIIa' (so it would look like the admin, 'Nyanjilla'), etc., because people would try to register usernames that looked like admin names - then they could pretend to be admins in the chat. I haven't tested it a lot to see how it works, but maybe the code wms has to check for existing usernames checks characters against some map of substitute characters (e.g. check for "vv", but also check for "w" at this character position, when validating the username).

People are creative.

_________________
Discipline is remembering what you want. -David Campbell

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #30 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:37 am 
Lives in gote

Posts: 641
Location: Littleton, CO
Liked others: 230
Was liked: 188
Rank: KGS 4k
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Bonobo wrote:
Javaness2 wrote:
Some people go out of their way to be offended.

Yeah … there’s this joke about an old lady who called the police because of her neighbor who, as she said, was standing at his window, naked

When the police people arrived and looked out of her window, they couldn't see anything.

The lady shoved a stool towards the window and said, “here, you’ll see it if you stand on the stool.”


I find this to be a good characterization of this discussion. In order to run into this "problem", you have to actively look for a username someone has registered, read the user's info, and become offended at their reasons for acquiring the name.

Overall, it would be much more problematic if the KGS admins were disallowing certain names based on their own sensibilities, and it would create similar problems if they revoked a user's account because their reasons for registering it weren't good enough. If they wanted to discourage squatting on a name, I suppose they could make a requirement that an account has games played on it with some established frequency, but I imagine that would generate quite a few complaints from existing users. Some people have good reasons for taking a lengthy break from KGS while wanting to keep their account active.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #31 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:57 am 
Oza

Posts: 2182
Location: ʍoquıɐɹ ǝɥʇ ɹǝʌo 'ǝɹǝɥʍǝɯos
Liked others: 237
Was liked: 659
Rank: AGA 5d
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
jeromie wrote:
If they wanted to discourage squatting on a name, I suppose they could make a requirement that an account has games played on it with some established frequency, but I imagine that would generate quite a few complaints from existing users. Some people have good reasons for taking a lengthy break from KGS while wanting to keep their account active.


It certainly would. I have been DrStraw on KGS almost since it started and I do not recall playing a rated game with it for well over 10 years. I do play the occasional teaching game but that also is very irregular and most of the time if shows no games at all in the list. I keep the account because that is how everyone knows me. I have another account, which no one knows about, for playing rated games.

_________________
Still officially AGA 5d but I play so irregularly these days that I am probably only 3d or 4d over the board (but hopefully still 5d in terms of knowledge, theory and the ability to contribute).

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #32 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 641
Location: Littleton, CO
Liked others: 230
Was liked: 188
Rank: KGS 4k
Universal go server handle: jeromie
DrStraw wrote:
jeromie wrote:
If they wanted to discourage squatting on a name, I suppose they could make a requirement that an account has games played on it with some established frequency, but I imagine that would generate quite a few complaints from existing users. Some people have good reasons for taking a lengthy break from KGS while wanting to keep their account active.


It certainly would. I have been DrStraw on KGS almost since it started and I do not recall playing a rated game with it for well over 10 years. I do play the occasional teaching game but that also is very irregular and most of the time if shows no games at all in the list. I keep the account because that is how everyone knows me. I have another account, which no one knows about, for playing rated games.


You're the person that came to mind when I was writing that statement. :-)

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #33 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:50 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1606
Location: San Diego
Liked others: 619
Was liked: 481
Universal go server handle: Bantari
What i find silly is the attitude that says "lets block whatever we can before somebody gets offended." Well, what if nobody gets offended? Why block a bunch of good names for nothing? I understand good intentions, but I think - in real life - most who behave like that become pests rather than saviors.

My personal opinion: people who block names like that are on a desperate quest for self-aggrandization. Get a life.

We all should get a life.

_________________
- Bantari
______________________________________________
WARNING: This post might contain Opinions!!

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #34 Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:13 pm 
Oza

Posts: 2182
Location: ʍoquıɐɹ ǝɥʇ ɹǝʌo 'ǝɹǝɥʍǝɯos
Liked others: 237
Was liked: 659
Rank: AGA 5d
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Bantari wrote:
What i find silly is the attitude that says "lets block whatever we can before somebody gets offended." Well, what if nobody gets offended? Why block a bunch of good names for nothing? I understand good intentions, but I think - in real life - most who behave like that become pests rather than saviors.

My personal opinion: people who block names like that are on a desperate quest for self-aggrandization. Get a life.

We all should get a life.


I suspect most, if not all, people don't care. I also said in an earlier post that I suspect who the perpetrator is. If you hang around the ECR and EGR long enough you may form the same opinion.

_________________
Still officially AGA 5d but I play so irregularly these days that I am probably only 3d or 4d over the board (but hopefully still 5d in terms of knowledge, theory and the ability to contribute).

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #35 Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:16 pm 
Dies in gote
User avatar

Posts: 52
Liked others: 6
Was liked: 11
KGS: UnclMartin
toadwarble wrote:
I see that someone has registered "Yahweh" "Elohim" and "Allah" (and probably others) as user names to prevent other people from doing so.

I can appreciate that some people might be offended and that is the motive.

Other people might be offended by a user name such as "Satan" or "Hitler". Yet others by one involving rude words.

I would like to suggest though that the decisions about what names are allowable be in the hands of the people who actually run KGS not some self-appointed anonymous censor.


I was an admin when KGS admins received a request to have a policy of blocking names regarded as very sacred by some. The admins discussed it, not without some controversy. In the end, it was decided against having such a policy.

As for user names consisting of rude words, or simulations of rude words, it has long been a admin policy to block such user names. When discovered, a senior admin typically locked the account. Names like "Stalin" or "Hitler" would similarly be treated. In general, when we came across a KGS user name that was also the name of a historically infamously bad person, we would have discussed how to handle it. For a hypothetical example, if someone registered the name "Manson", we might have discussed it. A big part of our decision would be based on what we perceived the user's intent would be. If we thought, in this example, the user was trolling based on Charles Manson, we would have blocked the name. If we thought the user chose that name because he liked some other person named Manson or was named Manson himself, we would have left it alone.

The person making the request did so after Muhammad cartoons controversy, and mentioned that in his/her request to us. In addition, this person pointed out that the user of one account, which had a name sacred in Judaism, had put swastikas in the personal information area.

DrStraw wrote:
I am not sure why only the middle eastern religions have been targeted. Christ and Buddha were not hijacked. I have my suspicions as to who may have done it but as that is all they are I will not share them in case I am wrong.


Firstly, neither the names "Christ" and "Buddha" are regarded as sacred, even by followers of those religions. Normally, the admins would leave such names alone, unless the owner uses them for trolling.

Secondly, the person who took these names is the same person who made the policy request I mentioned above. He/She decided to take the accounts after the admins decided to not implement the requested policy. He/She took only those accounts which he/she felt were very sacred to some. This person had no list of "sacred names", the only names taken were accounts that had previously been registered. The taker had to wait for the accounts to expire for disuse. This person took 4 or 5 such accounts this way, in order to protect those names.
asura wrote:
My trouble with the very religious people is that they are less tollerant than they expect from other people.

I do not like when dogma restrict the freedom of others. Therefore, I will create an account "Allah1" or "Yahweh1" for playing when I'm drunk.

I do happen to know who the person who made the request is. He/She has said that he/she is not religious. I am certain this person is not acting out of feelings of religious righteousness or dogma. However, he/she has very strong feelings about respect for different cultures, ethnic groups, and religions.


Last edited by UnclMartin on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #36 Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:20 pm 
Dies in gote
User avatar

Posts: 52
Liked others: 6
Was liked: 11
KGS: UnclMartin
Uberdude wrote:
I suppose we should be glad there aren't more serious problems in the world to complain about than username squatters on KGS /s

If you want to see a mysterious username censor, try to register vvms: you can't and it says in use, but if you try to view that user it doesn't exist. My guess is wms (KGS creator) banned it due to the similarity to his username.


I was told WMS, at one time, added a user name check to block new usernames that were visually similar to existing usernames. If true, that would explain the mystery. But, its ability to detect visually similar names seems to be limited.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Self-appointed user name censors
Post #37 Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:28 pm 
Dies in gote
User avatar

Posts: 62
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Liked others: 57
Was liked: 26
Rank: KGS 3 kyu
GD Posts: 48
KGS: Darrell
UnclMartin wrote:
I was told WMS, at one time, added a user name check to block new usernames that were visually similar to existing usernames. If true, that would explain the mystery.
Indeed, username 'darreII' (capital-i's instead of lower-case-L's) is not available.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group