Life In 19x19
http://lifein19x19.com/

New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS
http://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14189
Page 1 of 2

Author:  swannod [ Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:10 pm ]
Post subject:  New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

Cross posting this from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments ... ss_mobile/

From the developer of Eidogo. Definitely addresses a painpoint for the KGS player without an Android device like myself.

Author:  EdLee [ Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

iPad, Safari, sample screen. :) ( 669x669, ~76 kbytes )
Attachment:
shinKGS.jpg
shinKGS.jpg [ 73.58 KiB | Viewed 9325 times ]

Author:  Kirby [ Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

My goodness. This is awesome!

Author:  daal [ Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

Amazing how this client instantly improves the kgs experience. It looks great, works on my phone, has a bot removal checkbox and the clock flashes red when time is running out. Although some features are missing such as review and sounds, and others are not yet configurable, such as when the clock lights flash, it has already managed to make the stiff and stodgy old server hop about like a spring chicken. Kudos to the developer!

Author:  tchan001 [ Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

Instead of just jumping to a reddit link that has the real link. Here is the direct link to Shin KGS
https://shinkgs.com/

Author:  daal [ Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

tchan001 wrote:
Instead of just jumping to a reddit link that has the real link. Here is the direct link to Shin KGS
https://shinkgs.com/


The reddit link does have the original announcement, as well as the attention of the developer, so there is some justification for posting it...

Author:  tchan001 [ Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

I have no problem with posting the reddit link. Just that we should have the direct link on this thread as well.

Author:  Bonobo [ Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

I hear of people getting banned who used Shin KGS

See 5th comment here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/go.igo. ... 016876514/

Author:  tchan001 [ Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

As KGS has a PAID client allowing android mobile phones to access their services, it would probably not be in the best interest of their business model to allow a competing FREE mobile accessible KGS client to access their services.

Author:  oren [ Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

The prerelease is using one proxy right now so all IP are shared. KGS is encouraging people to use shinkgs but the proxy issue needs to be fixed.

Author:  lobotommy [ Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

tchan001 wrote:
As KGS has a PAID client allowing android mobile phones to access their services, it would probably not be in the best interest of their business model to allow a competing FREE mobile accessible KGS client to access their services.


So why present an API to the community in the first place? To ban users? ;-)

Author:  tchan001 [ Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

Obviously I am not an admin nor the owner of KGS and have no idea what they intend to do as to their business model. In any case, if they are friendly to the idea of allowing competing clients to access their server, then more power to them and more choices for us users.

Author:  daal [ Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

I don't quite understand how this banning works. On my phone, I can no longer log in with Shinkgs, and after trying, I get a red message above the log-in window saying "Childish." When I used Shinkgs last night on my phone, I just watched a game and didn't say anything, so I assume that I am getting the message because someone else was also using Shinkgs at the same time and behaved childishly, getting all other Shinkgs users banned. However, when I tried logging in through the regular java client on my computer to see if I could get the ban lifted, I was able to log in with no problem. What's going on?

Author:  Nyanjilla [ Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

*sigh*

Sorry about this... it's the same as when GoUniverse started and it had a single IP address, like ShinKGS does at the moment. Someone gets booted on KGS, then tries to log in with the same name through ShinKGS, and so gets autobooted. But that puts the sole IP address of ShinKGS into KGS' Boot-On-Login list, so anyone else trying to log in also gets booted. A smart boot-ee would use a new name and KGS wouldn't notice.

ShinKGS is still in beta, so it is not yet a finished product. I've been told that it will be upgraded to remove this problem Real Soon Now (I'm using that phrase a lot recently...) so troublemakers can't make use of this loophole. Until then, if you can't log in, write to the admin box (yeah, I know...) or try to contact a gold-star offline. I look at the admin log fairly regularly to see if this has happened (a long list of login attempts by a large number of usernames withint a few minutes does tend to stand out), but I don't hover over that log constantly.

Again: Sorry about this. I want the HTML5 clients to work (especially since I have an iPad!).

Author:  EdLee [ Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:26 am ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
I want the HTML5 clients to work (especially since I have an iPad!).
iPhones, too, and other small-screen devices! :)

Author:  Nyanjilla [ Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

EdLee wrote:
Quote:
I want the HTML5 clients to work (especially since I have an iPad!).
iPhones, too, and other small-screen devices! :)


Yup... but have you tried playing a game on one? I'm hoping for a magnified view and/or a confirmation button because I keep mis-tapping.

:sad:

Author:  EdLee [ Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nyan, yes, but I only tested shinKGS on a small iPhone 5 screen, and 9x9. :)

Author:  Solomon [ Tue May 02, 2017 11:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

Just tried using this today, it is AWESOME. Imagine if Tygem / FOX / Oro also had a mobile friendly client like this... (one can only dream).

Author:  jeromie [ Tue May 02, 2017 11:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

KGS is generally my preferred server, and this interface takes away any desire to play somewhere else when I'm on my iPad. I really, really like the interface. Thanks to the developer!

Author:  apetresc [ Wed May 03, 2017 11:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: New Mobile Friendly KGS Client - Shin KGS

Nyanjilla wrote:
*sigh*

Sorry about this... it's the same as when GoUniverse started and it had a single IP address, like ShinKGS does at the moment. Someone gets booted on KGS, then tries to log in with the same name through ShinKGS, and so gets autobooted. But that puts the sole IP address of ShinKGS into KGS' Boot-On-Login list, so anyone else trying to log in also gets booted. A smart boot-ee would use a new name and KGS wouldn't notice.

ShinKGS is still in beta, so it is not yet a finished product. I've been told that it will be upgraded to remove this problem Real Soon Now (I'm using that phrase a lot recently...) so troublemakers can't make use of this loophole. Until then, if you can't log in, write to the admin box (yeah, I know...) or try to contact a gold-star offline. I look at the admin log fairly regularly to see if this has happened (a long list of login attempts by a large number of usernames withint a few minutes does tend to stand out), but I don't hover over that log constantly.

Again: Sorry about this. I want the HTML5 clients to work (especially since I have an iPad!).


It looks like this is going to get solved really soon now; wms just replied to Justin and seems to be agreeing to set up a gokgs.com subdomain for ShinKGS' JSON gateway, so that bans will be for the individual client IP rather than the entire ShinKGS proxy. Problem solved :)

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/