It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: stone clicking sound missing - windows 7
Post #81 Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:26 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 66
Was liked: 57
KGS: Codexus
DGS: Codexus
After not playing on KGS for a while I had the bad surprise to encounter this issue when coming back (on win 7 x64)

I solved it by installing Java 6u31 (apparently the latest that still works) without uninstalling Java 7. Then I just dowloaded the CGoban jar file and made a batch file to start it with version 6u31.

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw" -jar cgoban.jar

That way I can keep an unmodified latest version of Java 7 for everything else and have CGoban working without having to pull off my own hair in frustration trying some of the clever hacks proposed here ;)

Post #82 Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:58 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Codexus wrote:
After not playing on KGS for a while I had the bad surprise to encounter this issue when coming back (on win 7 x64)

I solved it by installing Java 6u31 (apparently the latest that still works) without uninstalling Java 7. Then I just dowloaded the CGoban jar file and made a batch file to start it with version 6u31.

Code:

That way I can keep an unmodified latest version of Java 7 for everything else and have CGoban working without having to pull off my own hair in frustration trying some of the clever hacks proposed here ;)

I believe you could also download the JNLP ( http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban.jnlp )and use:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaws" cgoban.jnlp

And you would retain the automatic updating features of java webstart.

Post #83 Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:14 am 
Dies with sente

Mef wrote:
Code:

I just tried your suggestion but it doesn't work for me. The Java 6 logo is displayed but CGoban itself is still started with Java 7. As I understand it, java webstart is supposed to choose the correct version of Java to run based on the content of jnlp file and defaults to the latest. There might be a way to modify the jnlp for that but then there are code signing problems if I do that.

But thanks for the idea anyway :)

Post #84 Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:32 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 871
Wms, any idea when you would have time to fix this? As a non-it guy I feel a bit out of my league messing around with java hacks.

Post #85 Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:10 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: jeske
I was able to fix my missing stone-click sounds with the java-extension-mixer-hack.. Thanks for that.

What's really weird, is that the KGS "error" sound (if I try to click before the mis-click timer) still soudns find, just the stone click sounds are missing.

Testaudio produced no sound for me.. here is the output.

C:\kgs>java -jar testaudio.zip
Played audio file at volume 0.85125035

C:\kgs>java -version
java version "1.6.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_25-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)

Post #86 Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:28 pm 
Dies with sente

davesf wrote:
What's really weird, is that the KGS "error" sound (if I try to click before the mis-click timer) still soudns find, just the stone click sounds are missing.

yes, wms said he used different ways to play a sound in Java as they were coded at different times and some functions were not available in earlier versions.

Now I haven't seen the code but it would seem to me that for a quick fix, just a ugly copy/paste of the code for a sound that works to replace one that doesn't should solve this problem in no time... Better code can be written later if needed.

Post #87 Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:22 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 33
Universal go server handle: dfunkt
Quote:
I give up. I'll fix the *!@*$!@#*$ stone sounds.

If this server is such a nuisance, why not just shut it down? Or hand control in all respects (including programming) to someone who cares.

Quote:
But I'm going on vacation on Friday (to Congress then to a family event); I don't want to fix before then, because if there is a problem with my fix I won't be able to change anything until I return. So I'll try to get a fix in sometime after August 20...it's a long way off, but that's when I'll be back around.

It's well past August 20th now and stone sounds are still broken. No updates have been offered and the only solutions seem to be made for people with programming savvy.

This post by dfunkt was liked by: Lamp

Post #88 Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:01 am 
Dies with sente

I'm sure wms will fix it as soon as he can.

dfunkt wrote:
If this server is such a nuisance, why not just shut it down? Or hand control in all respects (including programming) to someone who cares.

I have been in this exact situation. My free applet had problems after a Java upgrade and it's really annoying to have to go back and fix something that broke itself for no good reason when you have other priorities at the moment. And that kind of angry comment demanding an immediate fix did not help me get in the mood to work on something I give away for free again.

We just have to be patient.

This post by Codexus was liked by 2 people: judicata, Phelan

Post #89 Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 19
Universal go server handle: ProtoJazz
I started making my own stone sounds as I play. I expect the neighbors think Im atleast 3 stones

This post by ProtoJazz was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, judicata, Kaya.gs, Phelan

Post #90 Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:43 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 12
KGS: UnclMartin
The admins have been told that the switch to use the old audio engine is only for Java 1.6.0_30 to 1.6.0_37. It is not available in Java 1.7, and Java older than 1.6.0_30.

Post #91 Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 88
Was liked: 365
What is wms doin? Java keep bothers me to update, but I can't cuz stone sound will be gone again.

Post #92 Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:17 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 3
IGS: Fede
lovelove wrote:
What is wms doin? Java keep bothers me to update, but I can't cuz stone sound will be gone again.

No idea. The last thing I heard was this (Jul the 31st):
wms wrote:
I give up. I'll fix the *!@*$!@#*$ stone sounds.

But I'm going on vacation on Friday (to Congress then to a family event); I don't want to fix before then, because if there is a problem with my fix I won't be able to change anything until I return. So I'll try to get a fix in sometime after August 20...it's a long way off, but that's when I'll be back around.

Maybe someone has more up to date information.

Post #93 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:57 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 29
KGS: DefLow
Universal go server handle: DeFlow
Codexus wrote:

Code:

For everybody still reading this thread, I just used Codexus fix and it still works.

Mef wrote:
I believe you could also download the JNLP ( http://files.gokgs.com/javaBin/cgoban.jnlp )and use:

Code:

Also tried this, doesn't work.

Post #94 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:58 am 
Lives in gote

DeFlow wrote:
Codexus wrote:

Code:

For everybody still reading this thread, I just used Codexus fix and it still works.

Mef wrote:

Code:

Also tried this, doesn't work.

So still no fixes for the client, which is the only choice.

Post #95 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:29 am 
Lives with ko

Why is it the only choice? I have to agree with you that it's a bit... unprofessional to leave a bug like this hanging for so long, but the fix mentioned above is available to anyone, right? Or is it only available to windows users?

Post #96 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:11 am 
Lives in gote

DeFlow wrote:
Why is it the only choice? I have to agree with you that it's a bit... unprofessional to leave a bug like this hanging for so long, but the fix mentioned above is available to anyone, right? Or is it only available to windows users?

Only choice = Only way to log in and play KGS :roll:

Post #97 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:02 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
DeFlow wrote:

On the contrary, I think that using "unprofessional" in this context is inaccurate.

In the practical world of IT project management, it's accepted that software of any significant size or complexity is not going to be flawless. Given that there will be imperfections, quite a bit of work goes into classifying defects, so that the developers focus on what will give the best results.

For example, a defect which causes a bank's internet banking facility to be unavailable to customers is a very serious issue and must be fixed immediately. In contrast, a misspelling which has no legal implications receives a significantly lower priority.

In this instance, the lack of a noise when a move is made is inconvenient, but does not prevent games from being played. The cause of the problem is outside the KGS code. In addition, there are existing, documented workarounds which fix the problem for almost everyone. Therefore, if I were evaluating this problem, I'd categorise it as annoying for some people, but not critical or urgent.

In my opinion, an example of unprofessional behaviour would be knowing that KGS is unavailable to people, being able to fix it quickly and ignoring the problem in order to watch television. Even then, given that KGS is a hobby site for the developer, an argument can be made that unprofessional doesn't apply even then.

In the IT world, calling someone or someone's actions unprofessional is quite a serious accusation. I think its use in this instance is exaggerated.

Post #98 Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 am 
Lives with ko

Maybe you exaggerate the negative connotation associated with unproffessionalism. Like you said, KGS is made by hobbyists, so is it not expected that they do not handle everything like professionals?

I don't see why you would argue about a choice of words like this. I think we all agree that the sound bug is annoying, and we all agree that, since the bug has existed for more than one and a half year and annoys the majority of players, it's a semi-serious issue.

I have much respect for the developers and I thanks them (him?) for the wonderful KGS-application. Just don't go around and say that I cannot call some hobbyist unprofessional.

lovelove wrote:

Are you saying the fix does not work for you?

Post #99 Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:03 am 
Lives in gote

DeFlow wrote:
lovelove wrote:

Are you saying the fix does not work for you?

I can hear sounds by stopping java updates, but this is not a fix for the client itself. I no more play games in KGS for lack of users, but still I think the developer or -ers are lazy.

Post #100 Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:45 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
So no word since end of July? Just installed KGS on a new laptop, and no sound. Using an outdated, less secure Java version really isn't an option for this machine. I wonder if we chipped in, we could pay wms to sit down a couple hours and fix this? C.Blue posted a solution in a different thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next