It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why are escapers allowed to play other games...
Post #21 Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 33
Universal go server handle: dfunkt
Mef wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
Reread Dakre's post.

Reading it for a second time does not alter my opinion that escaping must always be punished.

This opinion is not shared by KGS.

That's right. KGS has adopted a policy of tacit approval of escaping.

Post #22 Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:01 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
So you use the phrase "tacit approval" to mean "does not punish as severely as I would like"? What a strange idiom.

This post by jts was liked by: Phelan

Post #23 Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 am 
Dies with sente

jts wrote:
So you use the phrase "tacit approval" to mean "does not punish as severely as I would like"? What a strange idiom.

No. Perhaps you need to learn the definition of tacit before you put words in my mouth.

Post #24 Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
I mean, if you want to be cute and say absurd things to let everyone know how much KGS policy wounds your very essence, whatever. We've all been there. But you can't be shocked, shocked!, that people then think you're silly. And if you don't want the words in your mouth... I don't know, learn ventriloquism?

Post #25 Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:31 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 19
Universal go server handle: ProtoJazz
jts wrote:
I mean, if you want to be cute and say absurd things to let everyone know how much KGS policy wounds your very essence, whatever. We've all been there. But you can't be shocked, shocked!, that people then think you're silly. And if you don't want the words in your mouth... I don't know, learn ventriloquism?

yeah but with ventriloquism you dont just have words in your mouth, you have a hand in your.. yeah

Post #26 Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 pm 
Dies with sente

jts wrote:

I am never shocked when people try to derail the conversation with personal attacks; It's a standard technique, used to diminish those who oppose them in order to hide their own incompetence.

This post by dfunkt was liked by: Bonobo

Post #27 Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:49 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 18
KGS: Annihilist
IGS: Annihilist
DGS: Ubermensch
Kaya handle: Annihilist
Dakre wrote:
"It's not a bug, it's a feature".

The idea is that if your opponent behaves badly or insults you, you are able to leave a game without resigning or saying another word. This is comparable to just stand up and walk away when facing your oponent on a real board. That is the idea why people are allowed to start other games, although they left an open game.
This is a flawed system. Escapers are a worse problem than rude people. For one, rude people can be dismissed with little effect; and the effectiveness of insults is limited. But that aside.

Escaping games because you don't want to lose disrupts the primary goal of a go server - playing games. You want to be able to play the game from start to finish, and move on to the next game. Friendly interaction with other people on the server is secondary to the "playing games" part.

Personally I don't mind if people are rude or obnoxious. As long as they finish the game. That is the priority; that is what I come to KGS for.

Also, I think getting up and walking away from a game should constitute a resignation. By leaving the game open, you are saying "I don't want to play you, but I don't want to lose the game." In which case, you should either just not play him and accept the loss, or accept that he's a rude bastard and keep playing till the end. Honestly, if you're willing to walk, you shouldn't care about winning the game - and if you care about winning the game, you should stick with it.

It's worse on KGS because the only reason you would leave without resigning is because of statistics and rank - pure egotistical stuff.

Last edited by Annihilist on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Annihilist was liked by: speedchase

Post #28 Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 199
Was liked: 76
Suppose I get disconnected for some reason (poor connection, power outage, etc.) and my opponent is not online when I get back. They might be perfectly willing to resume the game the next time we are both online at the same time. But in the meantime, the "escaped" game should not prevent me from playing other people.

Post #29 Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:51 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
And the debate continues!

Post #30 Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:37 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Frankly, I'm curious how frequently you run into escapers that this is seen as a big problem. I can't say I've run in to more than one, really, and maybe not even that.

Post #31 Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:52 pm 
Lives with ko

TheBigH wrote:
Suppose I get disconnected for some reason (poor connection, power outage, etc.) and my opponent is not online when I get back. They might be perfectly willing to resume the game the next time we are both online at the same time. But in the meantime, the "escaped" game should not prevent me from playing other people.
To be honest, I think at this stage we are trying to solve minor, occasional problems because they might result from solving a much larger and more general problem. My point being that your proposed hypothetical issue does not outweigh escapism. It's certainly a difficult one, but not an urgent one, in my opinion.

I'd say you should resign, but I know I would not do that easily. Although, really, in most online games you'd lose anyway due to a connection drop out. I suppose that's just something we should accept.

Also someone said earlier that they'd just switch accounts. Firstly, you could IP ban people who repeatedly escape games on different accounts, and secondly, implement a more secure registering process - email address, for example? How many people are going to create a new email address simply for creating a new account on KGS to avoid losing a couple of games and having a couple of losses show up on their game record? Is it really worth it for a perfect game record, which is a lie anyway? Most would say no (presumably). And for those who would say "yes", resort to my first suggestion.

Or how about this: After 3 days, the game is forfeit - resigned on the behalf of the person who left first. You have the option of coming back to finish it, or you lose the game automatically. If someone drops out for bad connection, you have a chance to come back and save yourself, or you lose the game. That seems fair to me. I know it's harsh to force losses on honest players with bad connection, but I think it's necessary to solve a larger, more pressing and more offensive problem.

Last edited by Annihilist on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #32 Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:55 pm 
Lives with ko

skydyr wrote:
Frankly, I'm curious how frequently you run into escapers that this is seen as a big problem. I can't say I've run in to more than one, really, and maybe not even that.
Well there shouldn't be any, on principle. But I've run into enough to really annoy me, And it's more of an issue than the "rude people" which people claim is the reason for the current system.

Mef wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
Reread Dakre's post.

Reading it for a second time does not alter my opinion that escaping must always be punished.

This opinion is not shared by KGS.
Who is KGS?

KGS is us. It's users. So it is very presumptuous to assume that KGS has one opinion on the matter.

Post #33 Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:57 pm 
Honinbo

Annihilist wrote:

KGS is us. It's users. So it is very presumptuous to assume that KGS has one opinion on the matter.

I agree with you in spirit - I think the KGS escaper policy sucks - but in this case, KGS has a documented "escaper policy," which is likely what Mef is referring to when he speaks of "KGS."

This is not to say that the KGS documentation is not without ambiguity or lack of comprehensiveness, but that's another issue.

This argument about the escaper policy has been around for ages (likely because so many people disagree with the KGS escaper policy), and from my view, it fundamentally comes down to two core viewpoints (and their variants):

(1) Some entities, myself included, feel that the concept of a "rated game," by definition, SHOULD imply a contract when the game has begun. If you escape, you violate this contract, and should be punished for it.

(2) Some entities, the KGS Escaper Policy included, feel that a rated game means that it should affect one's rank, but not to the point where it becomes unenjoyable for one of the parties playing the game. If you are playing a "jerk," you should periodically have the right to leave the game without finishing it and not hurt your rank.

There are other branches of the argument (eg. internet connection problems, being able to resume later, etc.), but I've never found them to be logical since more viable alternatives for these issues exist.

So when arguing about escapers, in my mind, it fundamentally comes down to how you define a "rated game." The KGS Escaper Policy definition allows for the periodic option of escaping. With that in mind, it is acceptable by the server rules to escape, since escapers are dealt with "automatically."

Of course, many don't agree with this escaper policy, but lucky for us, other servers exist with more reasonable escaper policies.

That being said, some people seem to like the KGS escaper policy. I don't really understand why, but such people do seem to exist.

Post #34 Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:29 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Kirby wrote:
That being said, some people seem to like the KGS escaper policy. I don't really understand why, but such people do seem to exist.

Aye. :)

Post #35 Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:13 pm 
Lives with ko

Kirby wrote:
Annihilist wrote:

I agree with you in spirit - I think the KGS escaper policy sucks - but in this case, KGS has a documented "escaper policy," which is likely what Mef is referring to when he speaks of "KGS."

This is not to say that the KGS documentation is not without ambiguity or lack of comprehensiveness, but that's another issue.

This argument about the escaper policy has been around for ages (likely because so many people disagree with the KGS escaper policy), and from my view, it fundamentally comes down to two core viewpoints (and their variants):

(1) Some entities, myself included, feel that the concept of a "rated game," by definition, SHOULD imply a contract when the game has begun. If you escape, you violate this contract, and should be punished for it.

(2) Some entities, the KGS Escaper Policy included, feel that a rated game means that it should affect one's rank, but not to the point where it becomes unenjoyable for one of the parties playing the game. If you are playing a "jerk," you should periodically have the right to leave the game without finishing it and not hurt your rank.

There are other branches of the argument (eg. internet connection problems, being able to resume later, etc.), but I've never found them to be logical since more viable alternatives for these issues exist.

So when arguing about escapers, in my mind, it fundamentally comes down to how you define a "rated game." The KGS Escaper Policy definition allows for the periodic option of escaping. With that in mind, it is acceptable by the server rules to escape, since escapers are dealt with "automatically."

Of course, many don't agree with this escaper policy, but lucky for us, other servers exist with more reasonable escaper policies.

Argument 2 seems stupid to me. So what if you're playing someone who is a jerkass? Deal with it and keep playing. It's not even an issue worth worrying about. There are rude people - there will always be rude people. Sometimes you will have to talk to one. Get over it.

We can't protect everyone's feelings from getting hurt. Allowing people to leave games unfinished because "my opponent was being mean" is just silly. And, as we have seen, more people exploit this system by escaping so their rank is unaltered than use it the way it was originally intended. So this policy actually permits escapism.

I don't understand it.

This thread should have a poll.

Post #36 Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:35 pm 
Honinbo

I don't disagree with you, Annihilist, with the exception that it is not clear to me how the escaper policy was originally intended. I can just say that - it's how the system is.

So to your point, yes, the system allows escaping, and you won't be called out by an admin (probably) when you escape. The caveat is that eventually the escapes turn to forfeits and affect your rank IF you do it often enough.

Like I said, I am an advocate of argument #1, but I believe advocates of argument #2 exist based on previous arguments on this topic. :-)

This post by Kirby was liked by: Annihilist

Post #37 Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 199
Was liked: 76
Annihilist wrote:
To be honest, I think at this stage we are trying to solve minor, occasional problems because they might result from solving a much larger and more general problem. My point being that your proposed hypothetical issue does not outweigh escapism. It's certainly a difficult one, but not an urgent one, in my opinion.

It's not hypothetical at all. In my whole time on KGS I've had about four or five games where either me or my opponent has had connection issues, causing one of us to periodically drop out. But I've only run into one escaper. So, in my experience at least, escapers are less of an issue than technical difficulties.

Post #38 Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:46 am 
Lives with ko

TheBigH wrote:
Annihilist wrote:

It's not hypothetical at all. In my whole time on KGS I've had about four or five games where either me or my opponent has had connection issues, causing one of us to periodically drop out. But I've only run into one escaper. So, in my experience at least, escapers are less of an issue than technical difficulties.
Sure, but I don't think it is as severe as escapism. While one is a deliberate act of malice, selfishness, excessive pride and egoism, which ruins someone else's experience of KGS, the other is a natural* circumstance which, frankly, I don't think KGS is responsible for in the first place.

(*natural in the sense that it happens of its own volition.)

Post #39 Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Annihilist wrote:
So what if you're playing someone who is a jerkass? Deal with it and keep playing. It's not even an issue worth worrying about. There are rude people - there will always be rude people. Sometimes you will have to talk to one. Get over it.

If you argue by dismissing someone else's concerns, a likely (and apt) response would be to dismiss yours, or as you said:

Annihilist wrote:
Deal with it... Get over it.

Post #40 Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:39 am 
Lives with ko

daal wrote:
Annihilist wrote:
So what if you're playing someone who is a jerkass? Deal with it and keep playing. It's not even an issue worth worrying about. There are rude people - there will always be rude people. Sometimes you will have to talk to one. Get over it.

If you argue by dismissing someone else's concerns, a likely (and apt) response would be to dismiss yours, or as you said:

Annihilist wrote:
Deal with it... Get over it.
If I must explain my rationale, I will.

The effect of rude people is limited only to how much emotional investment you have in your relationship with the person. In other words, you are entirely in control of how you feel about rude comments. So, yes, you can shrug it off as no big deal. You have the power to not let it affect you. It's subjective, it is minor, and it's not a big deal. As I said.

Escapism, however, has a universally negative effect and impact on your enjoyment of KGS, by disrupting the primary mechanic and aim of a go server - as I said before - playing games.

So as I said, it's not really an issue. People being mean is not really a serious concern. But even if it is, and it's something really worth worrying about (in your opinion), accept the loss and resign respectfully. Don't leave a game open.