It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Go is still fun but kgs is no longer fun.
Post #21 Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:28 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
Hello,

NoSkill wrote:
I don't think the admins are doing a bad job or that I could do it better, but it is possible to ask to be an admin?

You are certainly welcome to express your interest in becoming an admin. At times, KGS recruits new admins. The admins will review the people who have been seen to be helpful and knowledgeable about KGS and would be suitable admins. If you write to admin@gokgs.com, we'll be aware that you'd like to be an admin and will note your participation in the KGS chat rooms. Obviously, not everyone who volunteers to become an admin is selected, but some of the current admins did express an interest in the role before being selected. As we like to be able to answer questions in as many languages as possible, please include your time zone and which languages you are fluent in. Thanks.

This post by BigDoug was liked by 3 people: Phelan, stalkor, xed_over

Post #22 Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:46 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 29
KGS: CBlue
BigDoug wrote:
who have been seen to be helpful and knowledgeable about KGS and would be suitable admins.

I strongly suggest adding being socially adept as main criterion.

Edit: Not a complaint (except for Mr DontTalkInThisRoomForTheNext48Hours's case maybe), just saying you should make sure you don't accidentally pick someone who is maybe not such a good choice from the users' point of view. I'm not that interested in KGS to care very much though, since it seems it has become quite an immobile server in terms of future evolving (at least Andi Liu has been playing a lot on it lately though, woot!).

Last edited by C. Blue on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This post by C. Blue was liked by: Bonobo

Post #23 Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:26 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 49
I am somewhat bemused by all these complaints about KGS.

I've been playing on KGS for four or five years now, on or off.

I've played lots of exciting games, watched many games between much stronger players, gotten some free reviews, learned a lot. Hundreds of hours of free fun and entertainment. The only cost to me has been my voluntary KGS+ membership (which I haven't always kept current).

I've never had problems with an admin, never had anybody muzzle me or kick me off, never had a problem with the server or the interface. I've had a few escapers, but that's the price you pay for participating in games on the Internet. Well worth it, IMO.

All these people complaining about KGS may need to take stock: maybe the problem is you.

This post by Bartleby was liked by 8 people: AmyTS, EdLee, GoRo, Jayy, lleig, Marcus, quantumf, xed_over

Post #24 Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:04 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 1
If KGS is no more social, where is a server that replaces KGS in that topic?

Post #25 Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
draculinio wrote:
If KGS is no more social, where is a server that replaces KGS in that topic?

If you want to try a different one, Kaya has a lot of chatting.

Post #26 Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 1
Good I will try!

Post #27 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:29 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Kaya also rarely seems to have more than 20 (40 if my estimation sucks badly enough) people signed in.

Post #28 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:34 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
KGS: AKaios
IGS: AKaios
Kaya handle: AKaios
Online playing schedule: KGS about 20:00-3:00 (UTC -7)
I would sort of agree with you when you say KGS isn't the same amount of fun that it used to be, but everything comes and goes. Things evolve; what was fun, becomes boring, what was cool, becomes silly. It's just evolution. KGS WAS fun. It still isn't a bad place, but online Go is just becoming more evolved. You have more Go servers popping up, new ones with fresh ideas such as Kaya. Sure it doesn't have the amount of people like IGS or KGS, but that's because it's still fresh. It takes time for people to want to try out something new and different, but if people have the same thought that you do, maybe they'll make their way over to it and help increase those numbers. Even IGS has become more evolved. They completely revamped their client. A lot of people like to "stick with what they know" and have this purist mentality about it. You can see it in Politics, hell do you remember when Myspace was the place to be? Can you even remember what Facebook was like before it's uprising? Expand your horizons, try out other servers, if not all of them. Find one that you like just as much. You can always go back to KGS. As far as we all know, it's not going anywhere.

I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious, but it seems to be hidden a little. :razz:

This post by AKaios was liked by: Inkwolf

Post #29 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:41 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
oren wrote:
Aaaah, nostalgia. Everything was always better in the past... :)

"The past isn't what it used to be."

-- Simone Signoret (?)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Dusk Eagle

Post #30 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:21 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
It seems like the frequency of KGS bashing, and the viciousness has increased lately. You hear things like KGS is broken, its over, its done, its no good anymore, blah blah blah... Minor things like stone sounds and admin complaints (which were always present on all servers, and always will be) are getting blown way out of proportion... outrage about lack of privacy (do you think what you say on IGS, Tygem, Kaya, or Facebook is private?)... whatever.

You know... ever since it became clear that Kaya is a serious contender I was honestly expected just such witch hunt sooner or later. Now, I am not saying that this is all some kind of conspiracy, or even that its in any way connected... just call me an old cynic. Human nature is what it is.

PS>
For the record - I have been playing on KGS since its humble beginning, although I am not a KGS apologist. I don't have a pony in this race, just finding it all a little sad... If KGS is going to die and be replaced by something better (as it surely be, at some point), just let it die in peace rather than sticking a knife in its back any which way you can. It has served the community for a long time, and did an outstanding job at that for most part.

PS>
The funny thing is - some of the criticism directed and KGS (and KGS alone) is honestly not server-specific. Lower player population after the HnG craze died down, for example... lack of this or that player showing up regularly... overeager admins... lack of privacy... occasional technical problems... and so on. Do you honestly think any other server will be free of those and similar issues, ever? If you do, I have a bridge to sell you. ;)

This post by Bantari was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Inkwolf

Post #31 Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:00 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Bantari wrote:
It seems like the frequency of KGS bashing, and the viciousness has increased lately. You hear things like KGS is broken, its over, its done, its no good anymore, blah blah blah... Minor things like stone sounds and admin complaints (which were always present on all servers, and always will be) are getting blown way out of proportion... outrage about lack of privacy (do you think what you say on IGS, Tygem, Kaya, or Facebook is private?)... whatever.

Personally, I have complained about particular issues regarding KGS for some time, now, even before Kaya started. I also play on multiple servers, and KGS is the only one for which I publicly complain like this.

Post #32 Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:21 am 
Gosei

Kirby wrote:
Personally, I have complained about particular issues regarding KGS for some time, now,

Yes, I know that. Very hard to miss...
What I said was more of a general nature than directed specifically at any single person.

Post #33 Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:45 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Bantari wrote:
What I said was more of a general nature than directed specifically at any single person.

Well, maybe the "general" public is starting to come around, then...

Post #34 Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 pm 
Gosei

Kirby wrote:
Bantari wrote:

Well, maybe the "general" public is starting to come around, then...

Maybe it is.
Lets all celebrate! ;)

This post by Bantari was liked by: Kirby

Post #35 Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:30 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 3
KGS: Strief
duckweed wrote:
When was the last time you have a nice chat with a newbie and offered him his first teaching game on kgs?

Just to offer a complete beginner's perspective ... I recently got back into Go after dabbling while I was in university.
First day, I logged in to just get a couple friends added, and a very friendly player named Nightwolf explained the UI a little bit, answered my questions, and played my first game.

Second day ... went to the beginners room, started up a game, and again, a friendly player joined, played me, and spent a good 45 minutes giving me a lesson afterwards.

So while some of you may see the luster fading, rest assured that for those of us who are new, this server provides an excellent service as a free resource. (And not having had the stone sounds in the first place, I don't miss them.)
It's especially great if you live in an area where Go sets are not readily available (very few places to buy in Toronto ...).

thanks KGS!

This post by Strief was liked by: palapiku

Post #36 Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:09 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
There are however plenty of Go clubs in Toronto, including the [url="http://www.torontogoclub.org"]Toronto Go Club[/url] and the University of Toronto Go Club. I'm not from Toronto directly but I know people from both those clubs and they've helped supply equipment for my own club's annual tournament. There are some other clubs that exist in Toronto as well, so you should definitely check them out!

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #37 Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
Strief wrote:
(And not having had the stone sounds in the first place, I don't miss them.)

You hear that wms? Your strategy is working!