Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Bantari wrote:
[..]

I find both very hard to believe.
Doesn’t change the fact that others experience as they describe.

Quote:
Am I missing anything?
Apparently … perhaps your attention is not just like the ordinary ADDer’s :twisted:

I learnt reading at age of 5, and I STILL cannot help reading every sign on the road, every word in a magazine or book. Heck, when I visit a cinema I even stay in my seat until the credits are finished, and I even try to read most of it.

Likewise, when I’m out somewhere, I can’t help but take a seat where I see the entrance … but I wrote somewhere else here about my OCD already, didn’t I? Nevertheless, ain’t that what’s expected of any hero/warrior/whatever? :-D

Post subject: Re: Racism on KGS
Post #83 Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Bonobo wrote:
Bantari wrote:
[..]

I find both very hard to believe.
Doesn’t change the fact that others experience as they describe.

Quote:
Am I missing anything?
Apparently … perhaps your attention is not just like the ordinary ADDer’s :twisted:

I learnt reading at age of 5, and I STILL cannot help reading every sign on the road, every word in a magazine or book. Heck, when I visit a cinema I even stay in my seat until the credits are finished, and I even try to read most of it.

Likewise, when I’m out somewhere, I can’t help but take a seat where I see the entrance … but I wrote somewhere else here about my OCD already, didn’t I? Nevertheless, ain’t that what’s expected of any hero/warrior/whatever? :-D

There are people with ADD out there, or people who have compulsion to read every word they ever see, or sit in specific chairs, or whatever... but then I would say that the kibitz on KGS window is the least of their problems. And a problem easily solved - as others pointed out - by covering the portion of the window with another window, or even sliding it off the screen altogether. Its certainly no reason to invalidate the whole server for.

PS>
One of my suggestions for KGS way back when was an ability for users to hide any part of chat/kibitz windows they like. Was supposed to be a pretty easy tabs/filters system which would allow you to either not see any chats/kibitzes or only filter the ones you like - by rank or status or whatever. Color-coding was supposed to be part of that as well. Very easy to program, done stuff like that many times, only need to worry about optimizing. Wms opted instead for the EGR/ECR at the time saying that my idea would create a cluttered interface with all the tabs. Right now Nova implements something similar on Game screen. I was bummed when my idea was shot down, I thought it was a good one. But life goes on, and I try not to hold grudges...

Maybe its time to pitch my idea to wms again, seeing how he works on a new client? ;)

Post #84 Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:15 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Bantari wrote:
[..] certainly no reason to invalidate the whole server for.
Full ACK, this was also not my intention, just to show there are different attention modes people have. For me it’s not really a problem since I often enjoy to be everywhere at the same time :-D

Quote:
One of my suggestions for KGS way back when was an ability for users to hide any part of chat/kibitz windows they like. [..]

Maybe its time to pitch my idea to wms again, seeing how he works on a new client? ;)
Another idea would be to just use the censoring feature which would cost a few clicks, though. But since it’s usually the same few people being too chatty it wouldn’t be too much, IMHO. (I for one WANT to be annoyed by those people, my life would be just unbearably wonderful otherwise :twisted: )

Greetings, Tom

Post #85 Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:23 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I work in a more or less open floor plan office (probably not ideal for me). A few days ago, I was waiting on my dev lead to review some code. Unfortunately, he was swamped. A little after lunch, he walked in the door, and when I looked at him, he asked "do you just wait and watch for me?"

If I'm facing 12 o'clock, that door is at 7 or 7:30, and I'd wager that I look at 95% of the people who come through it. At tournaments, it is mostly the same. Luckily, tournaments are generally pretty calm, and I finish most of my games early.

I would probably be better at several things if I could avoid this tendency, but it does seem to be my default.

Post #86 Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
hyperpape wrote:
I work in a more or less open floor plan office (probably not ideal for me). A few days ago, I was waiting on my dev lead to review some code. Unfortunately, he was swamped. A little after lunch, he walked in the door, and when I looked at him, he asked "do you just wait and watch for me?"

If I'm facing 12 o'clock, that door is at 7 or 7:30, and I'd wager that I look at 95% of the people who come through it. At tournaments, it is mostly the same. Luckily, tournaments are generally pretty calm, and I finish most of my games early.

I would probably be better at several things if I could avoid this tendency, but it does seem to be my default.

Yeah, I have had the opportunity recently to observe the focus of a large number of people, and I seem to be pretty unusual in looking up whenever someone moves. But it's certainly an issue for a number of people, and "Oh my gosh I don't do that, you should see a psychiatrist" is an overreaction.

Post #87 Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:41 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
Like many discussion about KGS on l19x19, I wonder how many people involved really uses KGS...

This is an user 'Muslim' on KGS who likes to greet the EGR using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As-salamu_alaykum in Arabic.

That is considered 'inappropriate' and he was told to stop. His profile, which contains Quran religious quotes was also wiped.

His secondary account 'muslim2' states he was told to stop by admins.

Runaway prejudices by admins or just catering to them ?

Post #88 Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
It's always been inappropriate to use any language other than English in the KGS English Game Room as far as I know. You might get away with it for a short while but you'll eventually receive a warning and further usage would usually result in administrative action.

Post #89 Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:09 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
duckweed wrote:
Like many discussion about KGS on l19x19, I wonder how many people involved really uses KGS...

This is an user 'Muslim' on KGS who likes to greet the EGR using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As-salamu_alaykum in Arabic.

That is considered 'inappropriate' and he was told to stop. His profile, which contains Quran religious quotes was also wiped.

His secondary account 'muslim2' states he was told to stop by admins.

Runaway prejudices by admins or just catering to them ?

As any admin can tell you, the problem was a failure to use the proper form. It should have been "As-salāmu `alaykumu".

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: maproom

Post #90 Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:37 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
duckweed wrote:
This is an user 'Muslim' ...
...Runaway prejudices by admins or just catering to them ?

As always we do not discuss private details on matters like this in public forums, however if we did the seven year history behind this would be very difficult to succinctly describe and in a forum post. All I can do is assure you this was heavily debated and discussed, and both the actions and their implications were not taken lightly. I am sure this provides little solace to those who would criticize, but if the options are appeasing critics or protecting user's privacy it is a fairly simple choice to make.

Post #91 Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:17 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
As any admin can tell you, the problem was a failure to use the proper form. It should have been "As-salāmu `alaykumu".

Do admins do grammar check on profiles and wipe them when they fail now ?

Mef wrote:

As always we do not discuss private details on matters like this in public forums, however if we did the seven year history behind this would be very difficult to succinctly describe and in a forum post. All I can do is assure you this was heavily debated and discussed, and both the actions and their implications were not taken lightly. I am sure this provides little solace to those who would criticize, but if the options are appeasing critics or protecting user's privacy it is a fairly simple choice to make.

Given that the 'Muslim' account was only registered in Dec 2007, is the 'raging admin debate' about the existence of the account or about what he use in his room greeting (which is not private)?

It always amuses me how even his nick makes people uncomfortable in the room. Says more about the people discomforted than anything else...

Post #92 Posted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
duckweed wrote:
Given that the 'Muslim' account was only registered in Dec 2007...

...it should suffice to say this story runs much deeper than merely a username that makes some people uncomfortable.