It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unable to connect to KGS
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:53 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Online playing schedule: random times everyday
Hi this is my first post so if it's sloppy or in an incorrect area I apologize in advance. For about 3 days now I have been unable to connect to KGS. Every time that I attempt to I get this: The system "goserver.gokgs.com" is refusing connections. The server is probably down right now. Please try again later.
I have literally tried everything that I can think of. I tried logging in using the CGOBAN client. I have made sure that my firewall isn't blocking it. Java connections are allowed. I have forwarded port 2379. I restarted my computer, restarted my router. Anything and everything that you could possibly think of I have tried. PLEASE HELP. (oh and I tried messaging the admins of KGS they were extremely unhelpful. when I explained my situation in full all they had to say was: That's hard to solve) :grumpy:

Post subject: Re: Unable to connect to KGS
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
try this:

Code:
javaws -updateVersions -Xclearcache

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:10 am 
Beginner

jts wrote:
try this:

Code:
javaws -updateVersions -Xclearcache

Where do I input it? The command prompt?

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:15 am 
Oza

Well, you could try that.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Do you have a second computer? Can you connect from that? If you don't have a second computer, go to a place with wifi such as a coffee shop and try connecting to KGS there. It'd be very useful to know if the problem is with your computer or something else.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:21 am 
Beginner

Dusk Eagle wrote:
Do you have a second computer? Can you connect from that? If you don't have a second computer, go to a place with wifi such as a coffee shop and try connecting to KGS there. It'd be very useful to know if the problem is with your computer or something else.

My fiance has her own laptop and she can't connect to kgs either.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
I don't have much of an idea, but it might help if you could give us some more information - what version of java, what OS, etc. Did you make any other unrelated changes to your computer 3 days ago? The fact that you can't connect on your fiancee's laptop suggests that it might have something to do with your router's settings - presuming that you and your fiancee live together. If you aren't living together, and neither of you can't connect to KGS then... wierd. Maybe you got banned by accident. If that's the case, you could try connecting as a guest on your fiancee's computer. Long shot.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:50 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
If you both connect to the same router, it is also possible that the kgs ports are disabled on the router. You would have to configure your router then.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:07 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
Your router might have a "hard reset" accessible by sticking a pin into a tiny hole on the back of it. It might be worth doing that, setting up your router again and seeing if that fixes it.

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.

Post #10 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:12 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 82
Was liked: 65
ataraba10---I'm sorry to read you've been having problems logging into KGS. But without further details, it's difficult to know what the problem is. What is your username? Maybe I can check from this end and see if something looks odd.

Post #11 Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:24 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
Hello,

ataraba10 wrote:
PLEASE HELP. (oh and I tried messaging the admins of KGS they were extremely unhelpful. when I explained my situation in full all they had to say was: That's hard to solve) :grumpy:

When you wrote to the admin mailbox, a KGS admin sent three separate e-mails which attempted to help you. The e-mails contained the following suggestions:

1. Download the client again
2. Look at the firewall settings (to allow Java connections)
3. Talk with your company or hotel network manager about their firewall settings
4. Look at the CGoban preferences (including the specific host name and port number settings)

Based on your original post above, it appears that you tried to use all this advice and unfortunately the problem still persists.

After your third e-mail saying that the suggestion solutions didn't work, the KGS admin did state that this is a difficult problem to solve. However, it's misleading to state that the KGS admin did not attempt to provide assistance prior to making that statement.

This post by BigDoug was liked by: Dusk Eagle

Post #12 Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:59 am 
Lives with ko

I see that someone called ataraba10 has logged into KGS a few times recently.... is that you? If so, can you tell us what you did to solve whatever the problem was? This will be very useful in helping us advise other people in the future.

But if that isn't you and you haven't been able to log in during the last week, please let us know that too, so we'll know what hasn't worked. And please tell us what your username is, so we can check further.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:28 am 
Beginner

Nyanjilla wrote:
I see that someone called ataraba10 has logged into KGS a few times recently.... is that you? If so, can you tell us what you did to solve whatever the problem was? This will be very useful in helping us advise other people in the future.

But if that isn't you and you haven't been able to log in during the last week, please let us know that too, so we'll know what hasn't worked. And please tell us what your username is, so we can check further.

okay so my fiance corrected me. I AM able to connect from her computer, but still unable to connect from mine. I am using the latest version of java. I have windows 7. I haven't really done anything new with my computer that I can think of. Also that WAS me on KGS (ataraba10 is a favorite name of mine). I apparently had firewall running in services(promptly disabled), but I played one game, logged off, tried later was unable to connect again. If anyone wants they can direct email me at ataraba10@gmail.com since that is linked to my phone which I have on me at all times.

Post #14 Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:11 pm 
Lives with ko

Right.... there must be some clue there that helps us work out what is happening.

Your logins on the 2nd are visible to me. As are the previous ones.

Is your fiancée's laptop set up the same way as your computer, with the exact same OS and Java versions?

If so, have you put them side-by-side to check that all the settings are the same?

Has she logged in previously from her laptop?

I'm a bit confused about your mention of a firewall and the sequence.... does that only affect your computer, or hers, and when did you disable it? Does it reset itself when you shut down your computer?

Post #15 Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:18 pm 
Oza

Did you try the command I suggested yet?

Post #16 Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:57 pm 
Beginner

jts wrote:
Did you try the command I suggested yet?

Yes I did. When I tried to log onto KGS I still got the same error as before.

Last edited by ataraba10 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #17 Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:05 pm 
Beginner

Nyanjilla wrote:
Right.... there must be some clue there that helps us work out what is happening.

Your logins on the 2nd are visible to me. As are the previous ones.

Is your fiancée's laptop set up the same way as your computer, with the exact same OS and Java versions?

If so, have you put them side-by-side to check that all the settings are the same?

Has she logged in previously from her laptop?

I'm a bit confused about your mention of a firewall and the sequence.... does that only affect your computer, or hers, and when did you disable it? Does it reset itself when you shut down your computer?

Same OS and Java versions. Our router has the port for KGS forwarded. The firewall is always disabled (the firewall i'm mentioning is the one on my laptop). Although my fiance said it was running in services even though I had it turned off. So we stopped it in services, and I connected to KGS finally. I was ecstatic. So I played a game, then logged off. About 2 hours later I tried to log back on and I got the refusing connections message again, yet I changed nothing on my laptop in that two hours. I checked to make sure the firewall hadn't turned back on, and it was still off. as far as I know it stays turned off when I reset/power-down.

Post #18 Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 am 
Lives with ko

That was on June 2nd? Had anything changed after you logged in on June 1st (twice) and May 31st (four times)?

Post #19 Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:31 am 
Beginner

Nyanjilla wrote:
That was on June 2nd? Had anything changed after you logged in on June 1st (twice) and May 31st (four times)?

Nothing in particular. I tried re-downloading java and that didn't help any. And the only new programs I got were Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware and TygemBaduk Client (to try and play on there) and Gopanda2 (to try and play on there as well) neither of which worked.

Post #20 Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 8
Was liked: 62
Hello,

Both you and your fiancé use the same router. Your computer doesn't work and hers does, so we can eliminate the router as the cause of the problem.

You used to be able to log into KGS, then you couldn't. Now you can again (sometimes). It would be helpful to know exactly what changed on your computer between the time when you could log in and when you couldn't.

You have installed a new anti-malware program. Does this program exist on your fiance's computer? Have you removed it to see if you can successfully log in?

Have you identified the exact differences between the software on your computer and her computer? Have you identified the exact differences in the various configuration settings of your firewalls, anti-virus programs, etc?

Can you please identify the exact dates during which you couldn't log in to KGS?

Which account do you use? Which account does your fiance use?

The point of all this is to identify the differences between the computer that works and the computer that doesn't.

Given that the problem isn't specific to KGS, I suggest that you also seek assistance with the anti-malware program support team. Based on previous experience with these issues, it sounds like the cause is likely to originate with something on your computer blocking access or a configuration setting somewhere on your computer. As noted by the admin who initially sent the three e-mails providing suggestions, this is a difficult problem to solve.