It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: unprofessional behavior from KGS admins during/after jub
Post #181 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:25 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Bill Spight wrote:
I find amusing the implication that adherence to professional norms of behavior depends upon being paid to do so.

Yes. If paying people guaranteed professional behavior, everyone would do it!

Post subject: Re: hilarious behavior of earth-based monkeys during life
Post #182 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:42 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde

This post by Bonobo was liked by 4 people: Joaz Banbeck, Pericles, RBerenguel, Splatted

Post #183 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:45 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Gratuitous cat picture. Thanks :D

Post #184 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:10 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
saitama wrote:
How can you preempt him? Last time I checked, you're not an admin and you can't stop him from posting things here, so unless you count insulting his grammar preempting then I think it's safe to say you're just being rude unnecessarily.

Rather curious that you registered your account one minute before your first post and that all three posts are in this thread. You must be a speed reader to have digested the entire thread in one minute and decided what to reply.

Of course, it is always possible that you could have read it in advance. By the way, have you noticed that the original poster did not post in this thread since you joined?

Post #185 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:14 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
DrStraw wrote:
saitama wrote:
How can you preempt him? Last time I checked, you're not an admin and you can't stop him from posting things here, so unless you count insulting his grammar preempting then I think it's safe to say you're just being rude unnecessarily.

Rather curious that you registered your account one minute before your first post and that all three posts are in this thread. You must be a speed reader to have digested the entire thread in one minute and decided what to reply.

Of course, it is always possible that you could have read it in advance. By the way, have you noticed that the original poster did not post in this thread since you joined?

It's unlikely. The OP clearly ignores most punctuation and apostrophe use, whereas saitama does follow proper rules (even using the odd-looking but IIRC completely correct "it'll".)

Post #186 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:22 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
RBerenguel wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
saitama wrote:

It's unlikely. The OP clearly ignores most punctuation and apostrophe use, whereas saitama does follow proper rules (even using the odd-looking but IIRC completely correct "it'll".)

As a side note, since this is the nitpicking thread, "it'll" seems perfectly normal and unremarkable to me, as an american with a dialect somewhere between mid-atlantic and southern. No idea if that's the same on the other side of the pond.

Post #187 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:41 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
That's nothing. I know folks who use a contraction pronounced roughly "ah-mull"

This post by hyperpape was liked by: joellercoaster

Post #188 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:41 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 47
KGS: xDragon
splatted, thanks.

DrStraw wrote:
saitama wrote:

i do have to sleep sometimes. plus, im using this thread to post inappropriate encounters with admins at this point because ive had a lot of them. i dont really care how some of the users react to my posts because i know how the go community is, they tend to be more passive and let things happen which is how i am to some extent, but theyre actually much more passive to the point where certain people with powers over others can feel like they do whatever they want and those overly passive people will allow it and encourage it. i mean you can easily tell even because said users encourage/compliment the admins when they stop conversations for no reason and then even apologize profusely which is only making the behavior of the admins worse. sure, some of what they do is appropriate but you get the feeling that they have nothing better to do and just want to do things for the sake of reminding people theyre an admin. you cant just sit around and let them do whatever they want or it will get even worse as time goes on, as you can see here, doug and others deciding to try to do an extended ban on me because i dont bow down to them when they try to do something inappropriate

Post #189 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:20 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 0
KGS: Pericles
"Passive" ? I plead guilty.

I realized that long ago, in fact, that my play tends to be underly-agressive. I'm actually trying hard to get rid of that weakness by forcing myself to play agressive invasions and sabaki which, to be honest, I'm particularly terrible at.

Years ago, I think it was in the very early 200O's, an admin came to watch a game I was playing. I then thought I had been doing something worth a warning, but actually not. It was my opponent who was sandbagging me. I was too weak to even realize that, heh.
(For the old fellows, the sandbagger was go4976, if that rings a bell to some - Yes traumatizing)
And it happened again ! in about 2005 or 2006, I can't remember precisely. Then "It's not a coincidence" I thought, and started being paranoid over admins. If that were funny at all, I could even say, pissed as I should be "That's the last DrStraw that breaks the Dragon's back" ! (I learnt that one at school)

So I started to hide - like you - with multiple accounts so as not to be hunted. It was so freaky to have admins pop in your games even when you 'd done nothing wrong, yeah - It worked perfectly for a while, and I started gaining a little more confidence back. (I was so down, that I could harldy play any rated games then)

So I played rated games again with an account that was beginning to become my "regular" one. And I taught / was taught too. (I attended Steve's counting lessons live, even !) and I gave teaching games in KTL. There was a nice kid back then, whom was regularly asking for help / reviews / teaching games. I remember him at about 20k, in 2009. I am pretty sure his ID was "XDragon" too, but definitely not the same user, the account probably perished out of inactivity and got taken back.

Oh I forgot to mention I'm also excessively terrible at Direction of Play. Maybe that's why this post doesn't make much sense, just a bunch of random tenuki-talk.

Mister P. (staying anonymous, you can never know who's watching you)

Post #190 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:48 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Pericles, when you are a 6D on KGS, there are plenty of people who would want to watch your games especially when there are no other higher level rankers playing. So I'm sure admins watch you more to enjoy your game play rather than to catch a chance to chastise your game playing behavior.

Post #191 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Rule #1: When you realize you are in a hole, stop digging.

Rule #2: Try to realize when you are in a hole as quickly as possible.

These are good rules in Go. Also can have value in chat room discussions. And dealing with KGS admins.

This post by mhlepore was liked by 2 people: Bantari, Bonobo

Post #192 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:14 pm 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
mhlepore wrote:
Rule #1: When you realize you are in a hole, stop digging.

Rule #2: Try to realize when you are in a hole as quickly as possible.

These are good rules in Go. Also can have value in chat room discussions. And dealing with KGS admins.

Rule#3: If you must dig a hole make sure it is a small one.

Post #193 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 683
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: Splatted
I actually used to go to the beach just so I dig holes and sit in them. Is that not normal?

Post #194 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:33 pm 
Oza

Splatted wrote:
I actually used to go to the beach just so I dig holes and sit in them. Is that not normal?

It depends on who is sitting in it with you.

Post #195 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:38 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
mhlepore wrote:
[..] a hole [..]
made me do some research … enjoy :-)

Selections from Kurt Tucholsky's short piece, "The Social Psychology of Holes," translated by Harry Zohn
Quote:
[..]

“The hole is a permanent companion of the non-hole; I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as a hole by itself. If there were something everywhere, there would be no holes, but there wouldn't be any philosophy either, not to mention religion, which is holey in origin. A mouse couldn't exist without a hole, nor could man. It is the final salvation for both when they are hard-pressed by matter. A hole is always a Good Thing.

The strangest thing about a hole is its edge. It's still part of the Something, but it constantly overlooks the Nothing—a border guard of matter. Nothingness has no such guard; while the molecules at the edge of a hole get dizzy because they are staring into a hole, the molecules of the hole get... firmy? There's no word for it. For our language was created by the Something people; the Hole people speak a language of their own.”

[..]

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: Holes
Quote:
Holes are an interesting case study for ontologists and epistemologists. Naive, untutored descriptions of the world treat holes as objects of reference, on a par with ordinary material objects. (‘There are as many holes in the cheese as there are cookies in the tin.’) And we often appeal to holes to account for causal interactions, or to explain the occurrence of certain events. (‘The water ran out because of the hole in the bucket.’) Hence there is prima facie evidence for the existence of such entities. Yet it might be argued that reference to holes is just a façon de parler, that holes are mere entia representationis, as-if entities, fictions.

[..]

This post by Bonobo was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, VincentCB

Post #196 Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:01 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
DrStraw wrote:
saitama wrote:

If you must know, I decided to create this account so I could get into debates on this forum without having to worry about any ramifications for my main account. To that end I even chose the name saitama as an allusion to the main character of one punch man, who is himself a powerful fighter.
Even if I was xdragon, it wouldn't make sense to create this account for debates, because xdragon does that on his account. I think that my whole response can be summed up into these words: stop being a d***.

Post #197 Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:21 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
In go, your territory consists of holes that you can hang onto. ;)

Learn the hole stealing tesuji!

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Splatted

Post #198 Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
saitama wrote:
If you must know, I decided to create this account so I could get into debates on this forum without having to worry about any ramifications for my main account. To that end I even chose the name saitama as an allusion to the main character of one punch man, who is himself a powerful fighter.

I suggest you read the TOS of the forum :

9. Multiple Accounts
Do not create multiple accounts. Do not create new accounts to circumvent moderator action, conceal your identity, or for other purposes. Additional accounts may be permitted for technical reasons - please contact a moderator or admin beforehand if you believe this applies to you.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1006

Post #199 Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:21 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
DrStraw wrote:
saitama wrote:

Mr. Pot, allow me to introduce you to Mr. Kettle. Why yes, Mr. Kettle is indeed black. ;-) ;-)

Post #200 Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
[admin]

I was going to lock this thread because of the multiple TOS violations by multiple people.
But Bonobo unknowingly saved it by posting a cat pic. :clap:
So, here is what happens to this thread:
more cute cat pics, thread stays;
more bickering, thread gets locked.

[/admin]

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: Splatted

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next