It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: unprofessional behavior from KGS admins during/after jub
Post #221 Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:29 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2339
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Bantari wrote:
Splatted wrote:
I tried to search for scientific proof that cats are better than dogs and failed miserably

You failed because, very obviously, there is no such proof since cats suck.

When you fall down and injure yourself, dog will go for help or bark to get attention or something.
Cat will just lick his lips and eat you.

Kittens are cute for a spell, but cats are just plain nasty!
They can make it in one jump right from the litter-box onto the kitchen counter. YUCK! I have seen it happen, and it cured me of every wanting a cat again.

I could say more, but let this be enough.
Looking at all the cat pictures is traumatic enough. ;)

Despite having thoroughly converted to a dog person, I can't help but think that the litter-box to kitchen counter bit says a lot more about the person that chose the location for the litter-box than it does about the cat! :scratch:

This post by ez4u was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, daal, Joaz Banbeck, Splatted

Post #222 Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:47 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
ez4u wrote:
Bantari wrote:
Splatted wrote:
I tried to search for scientific proof that cats are better than dogs and failed miserably

You failed because, very obviously, there is no such proof since cats suck.

When you fall down and injure yourself, dog will go for help or bark to get attention or something.
Cat will just lick his lips and eat you.

Kittens are cute for a spell, but cats are just plain nasty!
They can make it in one jump right from the litter-box onto the kitchen counter. YUCK! I have seen it happen, and it cured me of every wanting a cat again.

I could say more, but let this be enough.
Looking at all the cat pictures is traumatic enough. ;)

Despite having thoroughly converted to a dog person, I can't help but think that the litter-box to kitchen counter bit says a lot more about the person that chose the location for the litter-box than it does about the cat! :scratch:

This is very true, and I would not do that myself neither.
In my case, the litter box was on the balcony, but this still did not prevent the cat to make a beeline right from the litterbox onto my counter or the dining table (right outside the balcony door.) I guess some of the filth might have rubbed off on the carpet, but still...

The principle holds. ;)

Post subject:
Post #223 Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:02 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Cat Sense -- National Geographic.
Attachment:
cs.jpg
cs.jpg [ 42.14 KiB | Viewed 8142 times ]

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re:
Post #224 Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:18 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
EdLee wrote:
Cat Sense -- National Geographic.
Thank you, very interesting.

Quote:
Attachment:
cs.jpg
very nice —> wish list, used copies still too expensive

Greetings, Tom

Post #225 Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:38 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
IGS: Lisbon
RBerenguel wrote:
I've had only one encounter with a KGS admin (IIRC it was BD, by the way,) I think I have already written it down before. I was in the Spanish Room (IIRC) and when I logged in there was some turmoil because someone had been banned for some obscure reason. I asked what had happened and he (IIRC, again, but it was an admin in any case) told me not to ask. I replied something along the lines of "I just got in here and was wondering what's wrong, it's just a question" and the next comment was the threat of being banned, just for asking.

You know, I was looking into fixing this Java security bug that seems to plague the KGS client because I wanted to try out their server, but this and the other threads on here have convinced me it's just not worth my time. You can't justify faulty logic with rank. That goes for KGS, here, and anywhere else. Banning someone does not make you right. Silencing them does not make you right. If you resort to either then you should probably consider giving up your rank. I can't bother reading this entire thread but figured I'd just comment on that part in particular.

Have a cat.

Post subject: Birds are best!
Post #226 Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
I used to like cats. Since getting a house with a garden though and having to clear up their poop so my children don't tread in it I'm less fond of them (and I don't have any of my own). Plus I like birds and cats also like birds but in a less good way.

Have a Robin, they always cheer me up (cute and they're tough fighters).

Attachment:
robin.jpeg
robin.jpeg [ 5.66 KiB | Viewed 7934 times ]

Post subject: [Off Topic] =^..^=
Post #227 Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:04 am 
Oza

Thanks for reviving this thread — now I was able to find a copy of the paperback edition of John Bradshaw’s “Cat Sense” for 10.79 € which is much better than the ~40 € for the hardcover edition <happy> (thanks again to you for the recommendation, EdLee :) )

=^..^=

Post subject: Re: Birds are best!
Post #228 Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:14 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
CnP wrote:
I used to like cats. Since getting a house with a garden though and having to clear up their poop so my children don't tread in it I'm less fond of them (and I don't have any of my own). Plus I like birds and cats also like birds but in a less good way.

1) This is a garden? Normal soil with plants and not simply a paved outdoor space? It is dogs that openly leave deposits wherever they go. Normal cat behavior is to dig a hole and bury it.

However, you might see unburied poo if there is a territorial conflict going on as leaving an open deposit in another cat's territory is the cat equivalent of the finger. It may even be toward you that disrespect is being shown.

2) Do you eat chicken? (or turkey or duck, etc.). If so, explain just how the cat's liking of birds is less good than yours. If you are a vegan, I do apologize, and recommend rabbits, hamsters, or other vegetarian critters to be your companion animal. If you explain the less good because the cat does its own killing while you have somebody else to do it for you, well the cat isn't a hypocrite.

Post #229 Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:38 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
Mike Novack wrote:
CnP wrote:

1) This is a garden? Normal soil with plants and not simply a paved outdoor space? It is dogs that openly leave deposits wherever they go. Normal cat behavior is to dig a hole and bury it.

However, you might see unburied poo if there is a territorial conflict going on as leaving an open deposit in another cat's territory is the cat equivalent of the finger. It may even be toward you that disrespect is being shown.

2) Do you eat chicken? (or turkey or duck, etc.). If so, explain just how the cat's liking of birds is less good than yours. If you are a vegan, I do apologize, and recommend rabbits, hamsters, or other vegetarian critters to be your companion animal. If you explain the less good because the cat does its own killing while you have somebody else to do it for you, well the cat isn't a hypocrite.

Hi Mike, looks like the cat's have hired a lawyer :)

yes it's a regular garden and sometimes the cats dig holes in the soil, sometimes they're just left on the grass. I can't tell if the cats are being disrespectfull to me or not (would be typical - noone respects me as I'm too much of a softie :) ). Interesting your comment regarding territory - since there's no resident cat that might make sense. Maybe one day there'll be a resident dog who's natural diet is cats who want to disrespect my garden. :D

"If you are a vegan, I do apologize, and recommend rabbits, hamsters, or other vegetarian critters to be your companion animal" - I don't keep pets other than a shoal of small tropical fish (who enjoy eating the small snails that have managed to get in the tank). It's other people's pet cats than get in to our garden, which is why I resent (a little) having to clear up after them - not that I 100% think it's 'my garden' just within the context of human law it is and noone else clears it up and there's often 4 small children playing in that area. - so I get none of the good bits of having a cat and just their poo.

I don't have a problem with cats killing and eating birds in theory - I'm no hypocrite thankyou & animals eating other animals is something I have no problem with. That comment was not meant as a criticism of the natural diet of cats it was about the assumption that humans keeping too many cats as pets was bad for bird population. (it's a common assumption - though having to justify it here, I did a bit of research online and came across the RSPB site which suggests no evidence for that so I respectfully retract that slur against our feline overlords http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

Finally, my last comment is that the original sentance was:
"Plus I like birds and cats also like birds but in a less good way." That sentence was not meant to imply that my consumption of chicken is better than a cats consumption of a robin btw. Just that I like looking at the robin and the cat likes to eat it. - less good for the robin if you see what I mean. To enjoy watching wildbirds in my garden and continue to eat chicken etc isn't something I consider hypocritical (it would be if I went around saying cats were morally wrong because they sometimes ate birds). It was written in a lighthearted way and intended in that fashion. - I honestly don't even care that much if a sweet little family of blackbirds become dinner for the neighbours cats - it's a non issue.

time for me to tenuki I think.

Post #230 Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:09 am 
Oza

Marcel Grünauer wrote:
I feel that this thread has been derailed. Can we go back to ranting about KGS admins?

I fully agree.

But just one more cat video, OK?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12