It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:35 pm 
Lives in gote
User avatar

Posts: 412
Location: Xi'an
Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Rank: 7k
Can somebody tell me how to install it on mac with wine?
I download wine, draw it into application. and run the the WBaduk_20091223B.exe (which i believe is the install file). Well, it runs, but i cannot find it.

Can somebody help me, i'm totally blind on computer (that's why i have a mac).

_________________
长考出臭棋.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:23 am 
Lives in gote

Posts: 589
Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
Rank: 2 dan
Wbaduk is the orobaduk client? (I can never remember).

I assume wine works the same way on a mac as on linux. If so:
1) Open a terminal
2) Type 'cd ~/.wine/'

If this works, wine *does* work the same way on macs, so...

3) Type 'cd drive_c/Program\ Files/'
4) Type 'ls'

If one of the entries listed is 'Wbaduk', that's where wine has installed it to. This is wine's fake 'C://' for windows programs to not realise they're on unix.

You can run the program by typing 'cd WBaduk' and then 'wine Oro20.exe'. If this doesn't work, check to see if the executable has a different name by 'ls' and just looking for '.exe' files.

You can probably also do this from your file manager by putting '(your user directory)/.wine/'... in the address bar, where (your user directory) is '/home/me' or whatever macs use.


EDIT: Where I say 'Type', I mean 'Type and then press enter', in case that isn't obvious.

Hope that all makes sense! Good luck.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #3 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:18 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1435
Location: California
Liked others: 53
Was liked: 169
Rank: Out of practice
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
In Linux (depending on distro) usually adds windows programs you install to the main programs menu under a "wine" category. It probably does the same on a Mac, though I don't know off-hand what the analog is.

_________________
KGS 4 kyu - Game Archive - Keyboard Otaku

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #4 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:24 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 2116
Location: Silicon Valley
Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
Rank: 2d AGA
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
...and if you do figure it out, don't forget to turn flash off before trying to play a game, wine doesn't like to play the flash. At least not on ubuntu...

_________________
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
--
My (sadly neglected, but not forgotten) project: http://dailyjoseki.com

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #5 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:26 am 
Lives in gote

Posts: 589
Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
Rank: 2 dan
daniel_the_smith wrote:
...and if you do figure it out, don't forget to turn flash off before trying to play a game, wine doesn't like to play the flash. At least not on ubuntu...


You can turn the flash off in the client itself? Or in all of wine?

I didn't know you could do either, this might make the client usable! :D

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #6 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:43 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 2116
Location: Silicon Valley
Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
Rank: 2d AGA
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
In the client, and yes it does :)

_________________
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
--
My (sadly neglected, but not forgotten) project: http://dailyjoseki.com

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #7 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:47 pm 
Lives in gote
User avatar

Posts: 412
Location: Xi'an
Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Rank: 7k
amnal wrote:
Wbaduk is the orobaduk client? (I can never remember).

I assume wine works the same way on a mac as on linux. If so:
1) Open a terminal
2) Type 'cd ~/.wine/'

If this works, wine *does* work the same way on macs, so...

3) Type 'cd drive_c/Program\ Files/'
4) Type 'ls'

If one of the entries listed is 'Wbaduk', that's where wine has installed it to. This is wine's fake 'C://' for windows programs to not realise they're on unix.

You can run the program by typing 'cd WBaduk' and then 'wine Oro20.exe'. If this doesn't work, check to see if the executable has a different name by 'ls' and just looking for '.exe' files.

You can probably also do this from your file manager by putting '(your user directory)/.wine/'... in the address bar, where (your user directory) is '/home/me' or whatever macs use.


EDIT: Where I say 'Type', I mean 'Type and then press enter', in case that isn't obvious.

Hope that all makes sense! Good luck.


Thanks for the help :D I still have some questions with it.

cd ~/.wine/ gives me an error : No such file or directory. Does it mean I did not install it sucessfully?

_________________
长考出臭棋.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #8 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Posts: 589
Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
Rank: 2 dan
kokomi wrote:

Thanks for the help :D I still have some questions with it.

cd ~/.wine/ gives me an error : No such file or directory. Does it mean I did not install it sucessfully?


It might not mean that at all, wine could just be installed somewhere else on a mac.

Presumably the WBaduk installer worked fine, or appeared to? Assuming so, wine definitely did something somewhere, and you probably just have to find the .wine directory.

Hopefully someone who knows more about macs will post. I don't know where to start looking on a mac. The winehq faqs suggest that a .wine directory should exist.

EDIT: You could try 'man wine' (which should give the wine man page, apparently), or 'locate wine' (though I don't know if the locate database refreshes often enough to show it). Worth a shot, though.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #9 Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:26 am 
Lives with ko
User avatar

Posts: 130
Liked others: 4
Was liked: 37
Rank: EGF 1k
Universal go server handle: MagicMagor
Quote:
It might not mean that at all, wine could just be installed somewhere else on a mac.

On my machine (mac) ~/.wine/ exists, but i think i installed wine "per hand" and not using a pre-compiled binary.
If you have downloaded wine as a already compiled App, you might look into
~/Libary/Application Support/
wether there is a Wine-directory.

If all fail, compiling wine yourself (you may need to install the developer package from your OS-dvd) or using a package managment like fink, should work.

On a side note:
Do you have an intel-mac or a ppc-mac? (G4,G5)
I would love to know wether WBaduk will run with wine on a ppc-machine (as my gf has one). If you have an intel-mac you can always try Boot-camp to install windows. Or use a Virtual PC with Parallels or VMWare.
Personally i use Parallels to boot up my windows-partition without leaving OSX and WBaduk works fine.

_________________
Magics way up the hill (personal study journal)

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #10 Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:32 pm 
Lives in gote
User avatar

Posts: 581
Location: Shanghai, China
Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Rank: IGS 2 dan
I'm hijacking a bit - I just installed Wbaduk using wine on Lucid.

The program is working for me, and I disabled the flash options as I read in another thread, but it still seems fragile.

Specifically, when I drag the window around a bit to move it to different parts of the screen, it sometimes "shakes" a little bit and often just closes down suddenly. It seems to be okay if I just leave it in place or maximize it.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Wbaduk on wine?
Post #11 Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:04 am 
Lives in sente

Posts: 769
Liked others: 133
Was liked: 153
WBaduk works fine in a virtual box.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group