All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OBITS - finished Malkovich games
Post #21 Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
mw42 wrote:
That's awesome, schultz. Thank you.

I hope to god you wrote a script to do this...

Heh. :oops:

I thought about it, but because of the large inconsistencies in the data I ended up just doing it by hand. I would have ended up verifying the data for as long as it took me just to do it by hand.

I appreciate the positive comments! :D

Post #22 Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:20 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 34
Was liked: 3
Tygem: LuckyJim5
Universal go server handle: LuckyJim
Very nice list schultz!

Has been asked before maybe: is it possible to obtain these Malkovich games in SGF format? With the comments included that is, would love it to be able to view them offline.

Post #23 Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
Is this necroposting? It feels like it.

I notice this list is SLIGHTLY lacking in prompt maintenance, so that either means people don't care that much, or it was just forgotten.

Even before starting my own game, I've started reading the other ones, to get an idea of how to Malkovich. Since I'm going to read them anyway, I thought I could compile a small amount of data like the list once maintained by Schulz.

As bonus material, I can also make SGF of the game (I tend to copy it into an SGF so I can try out some things). I included links to the post where the move is made, to facilitate jumping into the middle of the comments. I don't know if it's possible to get them to be clickable, but in the KGS client they're just dead text.

I don't really know how to accomodate all the comments, especially when people start talking a few moves later about what could have happened before, what happened in similar situations and then what other game or book diagram it reminds them of. It seems more sane to just tell people to read the thread.

It certainly doesn't seem like a great idea to include only the subset of the comments which are easy to include. You only get part of the discussion that way, and it will misrepresent the sometimes very lively debate.

I guess the most logical place to actually put the SGFs would be at the end of each malkovich thread, but this will unleash a wave of necroposts, so maybe blobbing them into their own happy little thread is better? I would just refer to them on the list, it doesn't matter that much where they truly are.

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.