It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 118. hailthorn vs. Tryphon
Post #41 Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:38 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
Sorry for the slow response. It's been a rather hectic week. I should be able to respond with more regularity from here on out though! Again, sorry.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Wm18
$$ +--------------------------------------+
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . O O . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . . X , . . . . . , . . . . . X . . .|
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , X . .|
$$ | . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . 4 O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . X . O . . . . . , . . . . . X . . .|
$$ +--------------------------------------+[/go]

This seemed like the ideal move to make creating life here easy. Once this is settled, I plan to extend to the bottom middle star point and void W's wall, in sente preferably.

Post #42 Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:56 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
No problem. I should be the one in a hurry in 2 weeks :)

[go]$$Wm22
$$ | . 1 . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|

[go]$$Wm22
$$ | . . c . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . 1 . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | b X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|
$$ | . . X O . . . . . . . . . d . . . . .|
$$ | a . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|

I think my move is sente : if he doesn't answer (a, from what I see), b kills.

I then can take d or around. Furthermore, the ponnuki stabilizes the wall and irradiate some power towards the formation at c. I may be able to take profit while attacking those stones, at the top for example.

Post #43 Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 22
KGS: Mnemonic, dude13
I guess this should be out in the open. As some of you might know we are searching for new members for the Teamovich game and I had this exchange with Tryphon, partly by posts and partly by PM.

Mnemonic wrote:
There are currently 3 low level Malkovich games going on: robinz vs 1986 and Tryphon vs hailthorn. 1986 is (obviously) robinz level, so around 8k. The Tryphon vs hailthorn game is (sorry guys) ddk level. But they are both actively involved in the community and are unlikely to bail.

Tryphon wrote:
I'd be glad to be part of it, but I must warn you : I'm not DDK (I don't feel insulted at all by your remark about my game with hailthorn, but I'm 7k DGS, 8k OGS, and play even with 7k KGS. I'd be glad you point the moves I made that made you believe I was DDK).

First of I'm sorry I underestimated you, but my remark was based on the observation that the robinz vs 1986 game was closer to my level than your game. (Yes hailthorn, I'm throwing you under the bus and I'm very sorry for it :sad: ) Having looked over it the only clear mistake I've see was your placement of :w6:, it should have been at C16. But it is hard to call this a DDK mistake since DDK's hardly know any joseki, let alone 3-5 josekis. And yes, before anybody throws a database at me, I looked it up. C17 has been played by professionally, but I fail to see the significance of it on this board.
There have been some other minor things but I'm hardly allowed to critic them since they are feeling based and I'm at best a stone above you.

I think I might have made some enemies with this post (Again hailthorn, I'm sorry for throwing you under the bus) but since I'm German I like to have things out in the open without people bitching behind somebody’s back.

Post #44 Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 17
GD Posts: 396
Mnemonic wrote:
First of I'm sorry I underestimated you, but my remark was based on the observation that the robinz vs 1986 game was closer to my level than your game. (Yes hailthorn, I'm throwing you under the bus and I'm very sorry for it :sad: ) Having looked over it the only clear mistake I've see was your placement of :w6:, it should have been at C16. But it is hard to call this a DDK mistake since DDK's hardly know any joseki, let alone 3-5 josekis. And yes, before anybody throws a database at me, I looked it up. C17 has been played by professionally, but I fail to see the significance of it on this board.
There have been some other minor things but I'm hardly allowed to critic them since they are feeling based and I'm at best a stone above you.

There's no offense. To the contrary, if you could continue to underestimate me, it could be an advantage the day we'll play each other :)

To be true, I don't know my ranking, because I don't play much since the birth of my son last September. But before that, I played mostly in real life and on turn-based servers in the range 5k - 10k. I may have regressed a little, but I won all my games against DDK players on OGS (excepted one), so I proposed hailthorn 3 handicap stones, but he declined.

As for C17, you'll see in comments that I considered C16, and considered more or less the same as C17. I played C17 for a matter of taste. I suppose the true reason is that I planned to attack some time the edge, and that playing a contact play would reinforce MHO's formation.

I suppose we can consider this game as over, since Hailthorn won't come as regularly for some time.

Post #45 Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:45 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
Mnemonic wrote:
I guess this should be out in the open. As some of you might know we are searching for new members for the Teamovich game and I had this exchange with Tryphon, partly by posts and partly by PM.

Mnemonic wrote:
There are currently 3 low level Malkovich games going on: robinz vs 1986 and Tryphon vs hailthorn. 1986 is (obviously) robinz level, so around 8k. The Tryphon vs hailthorn game is (sorry guys) ddk level. But they are both actively involved in the community and are unlikely to bail.

Tryphon wrote:
I'd be glad to be part of it, but I must warn you : I'm not DDK (I don't feel insulted at all by your remark about my game with hailthorn, but I'm 7k DGS, 8k OGS, and play even with 7k KGS. I'd be glad you point the moves I made that made you believe I was DDK).

I think I might have made some enemies with this post (Again hailthorn, I'm sorry for throwing you under the bus) but since I'm German I like to have things out in the open without people bitching behind somebody’s back.

I know this response is rather late, but this is the first time I happened to glance at this since the past few months have been rather hectic. Don't worry about it though. I'm not offended. I'm not very good and I'm not ashamed to admit it lol.