Post #1 Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:00 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: solgo
Tygem: sol'sbaduk
Wbaduk: solgo
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking to buy double-convex (bi-convex) Yunzi stones. I can't find any place that sells just the stones for a price under 50 dollars though. If anybody knows of place to buy Yunzi stones for under 50 dollars, without bowls, please let me know.

Also what are good bowls to use? Nice big wood ones.

Post subject: Re: Yunzi Stones
Post #2 Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:53 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 192
Was liked: 357
I'm not sure if you'll be able to find them at that price. They cost a lot more than the single convex yunzi, even in China, because they're more difficult to manufacture. So don't compare the price with single convex.

Go Game Guru: Learn Go | How to Get Better at Go | Go Game Shop | Go Boards | Baduk TV

Post #3 Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:15 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
sol'sbaduk wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking to buy double-convex (bi-convex) Yunzi stones. I can't find any place that sells just the stones for a price under 50 dollars though. If anybody knows of place to buy Yunzi stones for under 50 dollars, without bowls, please let me know.
Also what are good bowls to use? Nice big wood ones.

There are inexpensive glass and ceramic stones on the market; even cheap bowls can be found. They are cheap for several reasons including unsafe manufacturing conditions, questionable raw material sources and unskilled labor. These often lead to an equally inferior product. Not always.

A few years ago one could find terrific values on eBay. No more. Not even for used equipment. You're more likely to find a good buy on used go equipment here or at a large meeting such as the Go Congress.

While I wish you good luck in finding inexpensive go equipment, I think those days are behind us. One gets what one pays for in this marketplace. A good set of yunzi stones and a nice pair of wooden bowls are going to be $250-400. You can, with some effort, find Korean glass stones and funky bowls for less than $100.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 am 
Beginner

Thank you. Yeah, the best I've been able to find are double convex with bowls for $62 which is a pretty good price. So I think I might get those. However, I think I might check out what they'll have at Congress this year.

Post #5 Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:57 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
sol'sbaduk wrote:
Thank you. Yeah, the best I've been able to find are double convex with bowls for $62 which is a pretty good price. So I think I might get those. However, I think I might check out what they'll have at Congress this year.

Try to find the list of vendors early. Give them a call and see if they have any value packages they will be selling at the show. Many, many years ago at the Seattle Congress, Yutopian had a case of Korean stones for $12.00 a set. I think I bought four. The Congress organizers sold off at tremendous savings (or gave away to qualified club representatives) the one hundred sets of tournament stones donated by Ing.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:06 am 
Beginner

Hey everyone,
Thanks for replying. Yeah I've found that out. I've learned a lot more about Go equipment in the past 6 months. I've found some stones that are nicer than Yunzi for $42 (49,500 Korean Won). They're the stones Korean pro's use. Really nice site with cheap prices. Full floor boards with the professional stones and nice bowls for around $165. Shipping to America costs about $50 though. Here's the links to some nice things on the website I liked.

http://www.6brothers.com/detail.php?c_c ... 0_10000003
http://www.6brothers.com/detail.php?c_c ... 0_10000004
http://www.6brothers.com/detail.php?c_c ... 0_10000020