It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Go book+service to improve the reader's skills
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:39 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 12
I am sure that virtually everyone on this board would be interested in translations of current Chinese go materials (Weiqi Tiandi?) You might even be able to find people here who are willing to help with editing the translations.

However, do you have the consent of the publisher? Even if your intention is to provide the translation for free, distributing these materials will almost certainly be illegal in most countries without the permission of the original publisher.

We don't want to see you get sued.

Post #2 Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:35 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
tony860213 wrote:
I do not distribute my translation,that means it will not be published publicly.I just make it on PDF format and Email it to the reader.

This is (restricted) distribution of your translation of someone else's work. You might wish to start reading here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_convention

Without being an expert for copyrights of translations, I would guess that you should seek agreement of the original authors. If you wish to live without problems, become creative and use others' works to create your own creative, (very) significantly different works. It has also the advantage that you have less work because you do not need to translate word by word but can concentrate on the most valuable contents from different sources, summarising or yet better continuing working on its essence.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:15 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
RobertJasiek wrote:
tony860213 wrote:
I do not distribute my translation,that means it will not be published publicly.I just make it on PDF format and Email it to the reader.

This is (restricted) distribution of your translation of someone else's work. You might wish to start reading here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_convention

Without being an expert for copyrights of translations, I would guess that you should seek agreement of the original authors. If you wish to live without problems, become creative and use others' works to create your own creative, (very) significantly different works. It has also the advantage that you have less work because you do not need to translate word by word but can concentrate on the most valuable contents from different sources, summarising or yet better continuing working on its essence.

But if a copy of the publication bought and mailed to the reader along with the translation, it should be legit.

You might be able to get the publication at wholesale price too.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:29 pm 
Dies in gote

Location: Granada, Spain | Osaka, Japan | Turku, Finland | Tokyo, Japan
Liked others: 50
Was liked: 22
KGS: Ellyster
Paying for a translation of a book or magazine that you own (bought) is legal, it should be like hiring a professional translator for it, with the adventage of been a Go coach... if the material is distributed somewhere else, then the problem is of the person who distribute it.

At least this is my best guess