It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review vs. 7k - getting back into it.
Post #1 Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:34 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Universal go server handle: Cynosure
Hi all, I took some time off the game and I'm easing back into it. Last was KGS 4k, but my account expired so I'm starting from scratch a little higher. I'm playing black.

13 - What is a good response? Should I push one more time/defend the cut?
16 - Do I even need to respond? Maybe I should have played the corner again. I'm having trouble finding plays against unorthodox moves and sequences in general.
19 - in retrospect, maybe a little small? Alternative is lean on the top group and attack the right-side white group
31 - Perhaps a little slack, but I didn't want to give white free strength.
33 - This one was a thinker. I pulled back for simplicity, but the pincer is really inviting here. Dealing with a double approach (with which I am unfamiliar, and again I'm a little rusty) while white had support topside felt bad.
35 - Small in retrospect.
37-45 - Building a wall. 43 hane didn't read too well, second thoughts?
55 - I didn't like the end result for the hane when I can get a comparable position like I did, with the cutting points exposed from the double hane earlier.

Those are my big early+early/mid comments and questions. I had a lead at this point by my count, and I didn't try anything to risky so the rest is boring if a bit sloppy. End result 21.5 win for white (on a side note, I've had several opponents resign after counting. Is it to look better in records or something? IDK...)

Appreciate the help in advance!

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Cynosure,

Welcome back. :)

:b9: Did you also consider o4 direction ? Your R14 stone is low.

:b13: S2 seems big. Your move forces W to make 4th line territory.

:w14: W is happy to extend to o4.

:b15: Did you consider o4 hane ? ( Seems both B and W missed o4, more than once ? )

:b27: Did you read the G4 cut before this hane ?

:w28: What if W cuts at G4 ?

:w38: H3.

( Curious about Leela's opinion for all the moves throughout this game. )

Post subject: Re: Review vs. 7k - getting back into it.
Post #3 Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 pm 
Dies in gote

Hi Ed! Thanks as always for responding :D

:b9: I actually didn't considered it. Kind of embarrassing as playing larger scale surrounding moves is one of the points I'm trying to keep in mind XD

:b13: Hmm, I was aiming at developing the right side, especially with a vulnerable two space, two stone group up top. I see how it's not beneficial, especially when I don't take advantage of the hane afterwards. I actually did consider hane at :b15: but was afraid of a messy cut and fight. It felt unnecessary when I could approach C4 and limit development of the bottom that way.

:b27: That...is a good point XD I did a quick pattern search, and the usual results of a double hane looked good. I admit I got lazy and didn't really read. Clearly I should have!

I did get Leela a while back, but I'm not very comfortable with it as I didn't really use it. This super widespread use of bots to review is rather new to me, however, so I'm still kind of catching up!

Post #4 Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:52 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
On top of Ed's good remarks:

+ you have a good appetite for taking and keepint the initiative; I believe this won you the game: 15, 63-71, 87

+ 35 is a really big move, taking territory while attacking

? you ignore positions where the opponent can make a tiger's mouth and bulge your stones: 57, 63 (but both times your choices were interesting)

- You seem fond of contact plays, even when they reinforce a weak opponent: 9-37-49-59

+ 97 is a wonderful attack of the shape of his weakest group

White didn't seem very ambitious throughout the game. You kept your pace well above his, took an early advantage (35) and sealed the game at 111.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:23 pm 
Dies in gote

Thanks for the help Knotwilg ^^

Your point about the bulge points made me think. In retrospect, I purposely played away because a) they weren't sente, and b) even if white made the move I didn't see much gain/loss. I do, however, find the resulting bent shape really annoying and see how it can lead to issue. I will definitely keep an eye out for it in the future!

As for contact plays, that's something I've struggled to get right since I first really learned about them at like 9k. Minus that first corner take, I thought the thickness I built compensated for what white got. Were these not suitable in the situation? And what better moves for similar goals exist in those scenarios?