All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Three KGS handicap games.
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 81
KGS: FanXiping
OGS: slashpine
Today I played as White in 3 handicap games on KGS. It has been a long time since I ever played White in a handicap game. Of course, lacking experience in playing as White in handicap games I lost by a good margin in both games. What I would like to know is how White should play in a handicap game. I imagine that White plays in a more combative manner since Black is expected to win by virtue of the handicap. Much obliged in advance for your input.

Post subject: Re: Three KGS handicap games.
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:56 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
In spite of the fact that you lost these games (inexperience playing white in a handicap game?) you should be wary using a computer program opponent in this way. Especially the programs using a go knowledge AI instead of MCTS, etc. You shouldn't even be playing even games against them, let alone ones where their strength level is set less than your own.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:11 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
Game 1:

- Move :w76: does nothing for your eyeshape (if black plays there you can play a16 and still have one eye there) and is gote. A14 instead of A15 would be sente but wouldn't improve your eyeshape either. I would have played E13 right away.

- Move 136: You save one single stone and let black connect everything in return, which seems a really bad deal. Even if black captures H11 (after you playing J13) he would have only one eye and be surrounded by white walls, and its difficult to see how black can live there.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 41
KGS: tictac
for game 2:

notice how black has 2 big territories : up right and bottom + left.

How do they came to be ?
i like to ask myself those questions when i auto analyse my games.

for the bottom:
lets have a look around move :w19: B have position on the right and left, normal as he received handicap.

The bottom is wide open, you are right to play on the area (i think).
let move to :b32: black is the first to move elsewhere, the whole bottom right is his territoy now, and you have a floating eyeless group ,cut fro mthe rest; B isnt even cut from the center

the sequence between :w19: to :b32: is a disaster for white
Do you see that now ? did you realize it during the game ?

Why ?
You choose to play high, on the 4th line (this isnt wrong by itself).This doesnt give you an easy base, and it doesnt prevent black from gaining territory. This is good when you cannot enter deep because the opponent will put you in great danger, or if you want to let you opponent get territory while you gather strength to strike elsewhere. This is almost never done to make center territory.

Here there is no weak B position to attack, and the space is wide enough that you can live no problem if you come on the third line (J3/K3).
That way you would have build you own territory without a weak group

likewise n16 didnt turn out well: you lived small while b became big. after :b38: @N15 you are in trouble and have to let B grow while you live small. I am not absolutely sure N16 is wrong but it you want to try it you need to develop it toward your stone with n14 before B plays N15

If you wanted to live on top, then O17. Or attack at G 17 (now or after some preparation -- not sure).

i let better players correct my errors here