Post subject: Review request (3k KGS)
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:31 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 8
KGS: Actorios
Universal go server handle: Actorios
Hello,
I would very much appreciate some comments on my latest game within which I managed to spend a bit of thinking time on my moves (in an attempt to get away from "autopilot games").
Despite the result, I'm not very proud of myself: I think I made quite a few mistakes in letting myself be split and getting behind in capturing races.

I've also left the game on go kibitz, if easier to comment upon (but didn't much response there, so far):
https://gokibitz.com/kifu/HkATyfWGZ

Many thanks,

Post subject: Re: Review request (3k KGS)
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:01 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 16
IGS: 8k
First, I am not nearly your level, so obviously these are not comments to improve your game. While eye-ing through your game at several points you played a different move than I would - and would like to just ask at least about one of them:

At :w16: (which is one of your questions how to play), my gut feeling would probably be to try living by playing C3 (and only if I have to, run with F5 or even G5). Is there a benefit for running instead of living (small) in the corner? Looks like black can profit by harassing that running group?

:w26: looks scary as ... don't know what. What happens if black responds with D5!? White has to respond with E4 ... and the race is on.
Personally, I'd try to avoid capture races where I am not sure I have an advantage. But maybe you read it out as okay, that just would be beyond me.

Post subject: Re: Review request (3k KGS)
Post #3 Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:15 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Tapani wrote:
At :w16: (which is one of your questions how to play), my gut feeling would probably be to try living by playing C3 (and only if I have to, run with F5 or even G5). Is there a benefit for running instead of living (small) in the corner? Looks like black can profit by harassing that running group?

:w16: is not really about running vs living, it's about separating Black's stones vs being sealed in in the corner.

If White plays C3 and Black surrounds him, then for the rest of the game White has to make sure his group is alive in the corner, and Black doesn't have to worry about anything because his stones are all connected.

When White moves out, not only does he have access to the center so he doesn't have to constantly make sure he has two eyes in the corner, but Black's stones are also separated. Black's C6 group already has to start thinking about how it's going to make life, and Black's stone at F3 is starting to look lonely.

(It didn't quite work out that way in the game, but I don't think that was the fault of :w16:.)