It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review Request: IGS 6 kyu vs. 5 kyu
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
Hello, L19. Please can you review and comment on the attached game record from my IGS game, this Sunday morning.

Attachment:
at123455k-StephenM6k.sgf [3.23 KiB]
Downloaded 320 times

I won the game by a goodly margin but I'm posting it, anyway, because I have some specific questions:

• In the opening, white 18 and white 30 felt like white was handing me a sure path to victory. Just to calibrate my instincts, was I getting ahead of myself or were these moves indeed as suboptimal for white as I felt?
  • The exchange of black 63 for white 64 fills me with regret. Sigh. I do this alot.
  • I am very unhappy with the way I handled White 68 at D11. What could I have done, instead? Looking at the board, afterwards, I can't seem to find a better outcome for black but I feel like I should be able to get something with all those stones about.
  • My hane at black 101 seems unconventional at best but I can't seem to work out whether it actually hurt my score or not. I sort of wish I had attached at H3 (actual move 107) before going into the lower-left corner. What else could I have done in the lower left, before any of this came about?
  • I am very happy that I found 117, 118, 119 and stopped the devastation that could have occured. Was this the right way to play?
  • Finally, the most pressing question on my mind: I played 145 because I felt that it could only cost me a few points at worst, should it fail completely, but all my reading, during and after the game, shows that white wins the liberty race after responding at T5 (then black extends down at S2 . Did I get away with murder (ok - only, about 10 points of murder) or was there something white was afraid of that I didn't see, prompting his submissive response?

Other things to note from this game: my end-game is rubbish. I was playing dame-points (threatening half-points! woo!) when there were still 2-point moves on the board.

Anyway, this is the most "interesting" recent game record I have and I'm looking for input from others in order to avoid stagnation. For some reason, I seem to be on a winning streak - and mostly on time, of all things. Agh, well, I'm certain it will end, soon, then I'll have a lot of material to learn from.

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:46 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:53 am 
Honinbo

Hi Charlie,

:w18: , :w30: Not obvious to me what's so bad about them.

:b27: C17 big.

:b29: C11 not small.

:b37: Maybe Q13 possible.

:b63: - :w64: Agreed: not so good for B.

Post subject: Re: Review Request: IGS 6 kyu vs. 5 kyu
Post #4 Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:03 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 126
:w18: and :w30: allowed me to have :b19: and :b31: and I felt like those were really good for black. I didn't feel white *needed* 18 and certainly there were other choices than 30 at that point in the game and so I was happy to get given cheap opportunities to tenuki, in the first case, or to become overwhelmingly dominant on the left side, in the second.

EDIT: I saw C17 (obviously) and I saw C11 but, in both cases, I decided that I had *something* to do, anyway, and chose to play elsewhere. In the former case, I figured that the corner was very big but I could either get to come back or, if white took it, it wasn't worth two moves elsewhere: H15 and C6.

Didn't even think of Q13, though. It's interesting but I rather like to keep pressure on the white group -- keep it weaker than my group at the top, at least.

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:44 am 
Honinbo

Quote:
to have :b19: and :b31: and I felt like those were really good for black.
W tenuki'd, and the last empty corner is big of course,
so :b19: is reasonable, not particularly great. :b31: seems OK.

IMO ( :w18: - :b19: ) and ( :w30: - :b31: ) didn't decide the game.

Post subject: Re: Review Request: IGS 6 kyu vs. 5 kyu
Post #6 Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:46 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 32
Was liked: 119
Analysis by Crazy Sensei:
https://www.crazy-sensei.com/?lang=en&l ... 9&move=121
White could capture the 3 stones with this sequence for a long part of the game.

(click on the "1" on the board to follow the sequence)