All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the four corner opening
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:58 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 160
Was liked: 4
Online playing schedule: OGS, Fox Server
Hi all,

I am experimenting (with not that bad results) the following opening that I called "The four corner opening".
Of course this is not meant to be a novelty for dan players, but it's interesting against mid single digit kyu: my aim is to steal in sente white's corners in alpha go style and then invade the center. Here the first moves:

I experimented other variations with black triangled stones in the final position both at 3-4 or 3-4 and 3-3 but NEVER on 4-4. Now 2 questions:

1) What do you think about it? Is this opening playable in the range of 5k-8k?
2) can you show me some short variations that you wolud play as white in the final position?

Thanks!

(Go proverb)

Post subject: Re: the four corner opening
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
In this kind of position, I would play E10 (black D11-white F12), torture the black group while building strength in the center. Black has to be very careful because of the walls he gave white and also because white moves at B4 and B16 endanger the corners. When/If black lives, white should be sente and have plenty of opportunity to build big in the center by keeping the 3-3 stones low.

I am not saying that this is unplayable for black of course! It may even be better for all I know. Just saying that for a player like me who loves walls and attacking, white's position is interesting. I have also noticed that a lot of players in black position tend to think that the two space extension is kind of unpressurable/unkillable, but in my experience it can be quite weak as soon as the exit on both sides are closed (and by "exits" I don't mean only the points around C12 and C4/5 but also the fact that the escape routes, so to speak, up and down are closed by white walls).

This post by Shenoute was liked by: Fllecha