It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The One-Eyed Fool (game review #1)
Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:31 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Since I work as a teacher, I have the fortune to have the Easter Holiday now, and be home for 2 weeks.
Depending on the weather (spring is not yet in the air, unfortunately), I intend to spend rather a big chunck of my time on playing Go.
Counting from today until I have to get back at work, I have 16 days. During that time, I want to study Go, replay pro games, read books, do tsumego etc etc. But I also want to play games.
I will play games irl against people, but I am also looking at playing online. No blitz games, but serious games. At least 20 mins + 30 s Byo-Yomi.
More than that, I want to review those particular games, and hope to learn from them. I'd rather lose all my games for the next two weeks and improve a stone, than win them all and not get stronger.

For 16 days, I set my objective to 10 games. If I can play 10 online games AND self review them all, I think improvement is almost guaranteed (you're never certain, of course).

I review my games by going through them move by move, always checking with Leela. I play out some variations and think out loud, writing down my thoughts in the sgf file. I takes me more than an hour to review.
I most definitely appreciate anyone giving me additional insight in my playing. Or correcting me if my reasoning is wrong.

So for the next two weeks, this is a game review series titled: The One-Eyed Fool!
(title comes from a big mistake in this first game. I thought I had two eyes, but actually I had 1, so I was pretty dead)

Post subject: Re: The One-Eyed Fool (game review #1)
Post #2 Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:19 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 9
KGS: struttnoddy
For some reason I couldn't download the sgf (maybe just me!) so I've made some points below :)

1-4 - try not to labour too much over these, pretty much any move in the corner is "right" just do what feels good for you :)

:w8: - not necessarily the only move, tenuki and D4 are possible. Although D4 can become very complex

:w10: - both tigers mouth and sold connection are fine! there are subtle differences but generally not until later in the game

:w12: - A bit far/high, usually at C/, C10 or D10

:b21: - I agree with leela here! you are ahead after black takes the 3-3, your stones are all working nicely together :)

:B27: - black's cut is overly aggressive inside your sphere of influence, you dealt with it well

:b31: - again I agree with Leela, pressing at A is much better

:b37: - after K4 there looks to be something quite tesuji-like at M3, a shape worth knowing

:w58: - empty triangle isn't quite right but cloe. A better move is at S16 although I think this group has trouble living whatever gets played here

:b63: - you're right, A is much better, the black group looks pretty dead after this

:w76: - Unfortunately J18 is urgent

:b87: - well done spotting the ko, just a shame not in the game :(

:w92: - this atari isn't good, connect at M2 and leave a peep at J3 or a hane at K1 for good endgame later

I don't believe your assertion that you're not 13k! At this level there's a high variability between games, so you might play like a 17k one day and a 10k the next. Without the mistake with the dead group at the top you really weren't doing badly at all!

I think pointers to take away are:
- Be more aware of your weak groups and cutting points, this is something I have a problem with too!
-think carefully about direction of play the proverb "play away from strength" is one of the most useful in my eyes

I hope that all makes sense! :D

Post subject: Re: The One-Eyed Fool (game review #1)
Post #3 Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Thanks a lot for both your comments on the game and your motivational words :)
Weak groups is tough to see, and I guess tsumego helps a lot. I'm increasing my tsumego to at least 15 minutes a day, but I guess even more couldn't hurt.

This post by Ian Butler was liked by: Struttnoddy