All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A couple of notable wins
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 6
OGS: sleepyEDB
Hello,

The first game is my first win against another human. While I felt mostly in control during this game, I wanted to post it since I'm sure there are still mistakes to be corrected and because it was the first time I'd had an opponent ask for an undo. I allowed the undo, move 37, though I will admit I was hesitant at the time because I wasn't sure if it would come back to haunt me.

sleepy

Attachments:
12353860-067-VoskyClavijoOltabay-sleepyEDB.sgf [868 Bytes]
Downloaded 509 times

Post subject: Re: A couple of notable wins
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 am 
Dies in gote

I thought this game was notable because I made a fat-fingered stone placement on move 7 (small phone screen) which ironically turned out to be favorable later on. I did not feel in control during this game and was pretty sure I was losing through most of it which, towards the end I confirmed by using the 'estimate score' option. I pulled my head out of the sand in time to save my territory on the lower right corner and win the game...at least that's what I think happened. :mrgreen:

sleepy

Attachments:
12392677-055-sleepyEDB-M-P.sgf [641 Bytes]
Downloaded 472 times

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Your opponent ended the game a bit fast, though, in that first match.
When he passes, imagine him playing the 8-7 point. Can you see what happens?
If he passes, there's still something for you to play. Can you see the move?

(you still would've won, though. Good game!)

:b32: was very nice, cutting him off. Good job :)

Game 2
Great move in the 9-9 point :mrgreen:
And now seriously: you did good in playing on the left side when your opponent was playing slow moves on the right. It allowed you to set up a nice piece of territory while he was doing other things worth a lot less.
Always look for the biggest point on the board, good work!

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:49 am 
Dies in gote

Hi Ian, thank you very much for the reviews!

Ian Butler wrote:
Your opponent ended the game a bit fast, though, in that first match.
When he passes, imagine him playing the 8-7 point. Can you see what happens?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that convention. I'm guessing the 8-7 point is somewhere towards the lower right but I'm not sure :-?

Ian Butler wrote:
If he passes, there's still something for you to play. Can you see the move?

Capture the white stone at A7, thus reducing white's territory on the top-left?

Ian Butler wrote:
:b32: was very nice, cutting him off. Good job :)

Thank you very much! :)

Game 2
Ian Butler wrote:
Great move in the 9-9 point :mrgreen:

Ha, yes. Scrolling down to view options while playing on the phone is dangerous.:oops:

Ian Butler wrote:
And now seriously: you did good in playing on the left side when your opponent was playing slow moves on the right. It allowed you to set up a nice piece of territory while he was doing other things worth a lot less.
Always look for the biggest point on the board, good work!

Thanks! I can't claim that I knew what I was doing the entire time, but I did have a sense of wanting to stake my claim elsewhere while he was busy on the right, though I think it may have come from a feeling that things were already lost there.

Do you think saving my group in the lower-right corner at the end of the game was as important as I did?

sleepy

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Yes, saving that group was necessary. If not, the game would've been his.
8-7 is where two black stones can be caught and this makes white alive in the right bottom. (I guess H-3 for you, the markers aren't on the sgf, though)
On the other hand, black can catch a stone there and completely destroy white. (for you, G-4 I think)

The top left corner is not important as it's dead as it stands. You don't have to take it off the board. You see why it's dead?

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:35 pm 
Dies in gote

Ian Butler wrote:
Yes, saving that group was necessary. If not, the game would've been his.

Great, thanks. Nice to know that I was thinking correctly.

Ian Butler wrote:
8-7 is where two black stones can be caught and this makes white alive in the right bottom. (I guess H-3 for you, the markers aren't on the sgf, though)
On the other hand, black can catch a stone there and completely destroy white. (for you, G-4 I think)

Thanks, I see it now. I had just assumed the lower-right belonged to white by that point so I didn't defend those two stones. And I thought the single stone at G4 was a ko fight not worth waging, unless I'm mistaken about that too? Is it not a ko fight?

Ian Butler wrote:
The top left corner is not important as it's dead as it stands. You don't have to take it off the board. You see why it's dead?

Yes, I do since white can't make two eyes there. I saw it then as well which is why I ignored it in the game but since I didn't see what you were alluding to with the 8-7 point here I was reaching for something. :mrgreen:

As an aside, is there a way to have the grid markers show up when posting SGF files? I'm not sure if it's a forum setting or if it's something I need to do to them prior to posting, but it's tough to analyze and comment without them.

sleepy

Post subject:
Post #7 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:38 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
is there a way to have the grid markers show up when posting SGF files?
Hi sleepy,

Do you mean the coordinates axes for non-19x19 boards...
I wonder if that's something un-implemented... Kirby ? :)

In the meantime, try markers: 9x9:
13x13:
19x19:
11x11, 15x15: un-implemented.

This post by EdLee was liked by: sleepyEDB

Post subject: Re:
Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:00 pm 
Dies in gote

EdLee wrote:
Do you mean the coordinates axes for non-19x19 boards...

Thanks for the suggestion of the markers, those will be helpful. And sorry for being vague, yes I was referring to the row and column labels often seen outside the grid; A-J for the columns and 1-9 for the rows on a 9x9 board, and moreso for 13x13 and 19x19 boards.

sleepy

Post #9 Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:41 am 
Dies in gote

One more for the 'notable win' category, I finally beat Master Mantis (lowest-ranked bot on OGS)! It's basically just a moral victory since the game wasn't ranked, but it still felt good to win after it kicking my butt for a month. :D I will admit that this game seemed rather uncharacteristic of what I'd come to expect from Master Mantis; there were a couple instances during the game where I was surprised by where it played. On another note, it looks like my rating has fallen to 28k...I wasn't even aware they went that low. :sad: :-| :lol:

As always, comments and reviews are most appreciated.

sleepy

Attachments:
12623806-068-Master Mantis-sleepyEDB.sgf [709 Bytes]
Downloaded 431 times

Last edited by sleepyEDB on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:24 am 
Dies in gote

A few interesting things when reviewing this last game with Leela via GRP:

I didn't even realize how dangerous this 'staircase' shape of alternating stones was until Leela's review showed all the potential for double ataris :o I was very fortunate; had Master Mantis played where Leela suggested it would've been game over
Attachment:
GRP1.png
GRP1.png [ 86.99 KiB | Viewed 5854 times ]

Leela really, really didn't like my play at E7, dropping my win percentage by 60 points. I'm honestly not sure why it was so inferior to G8; is it just too local/small of a move and protecting against white playing G8 first is that much more important?
Attachment:
GRP2.png
GRP2.png [ 84.6 KiB | Viewed 5854 times ]

Looks like G3 was the coffin nail for Master Mantis; Leela resigns on the next move.
Attachment:
GRP3.png
GRP3.png [ 89.42 KiB | Viewed 5854 times ]

sleepy

Post #11 Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:00 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
sleepyEDB wrote:
A few interesting things when reviewing this last game with Leela via GRP:

I didn't even realize how dangerous this 'staircase' shape of alternating stones was until Leela's review showed all the potential for double ataris

Indeed. This is something you pick up on the way to 20k.

Quote:
Leela really, really didn't like my play at E7, dropping my win percentage by 60 points. I'm honestly not sure why it was so inferior to G8; is it just too local/small of a move and protecting against white playing G8 first is that much more important?

It's less than small, it's practically zero. The stone at E6 was already dead (though it did have a bit of aji). Getting in the first elbow in the elbowing contest in the upper right is hugely important. Besides the territory, it may kill the aji of E6.

This post by dfan was liked by: sleepyEDB

Post #12 Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:47 am 
Dies in gote

Thanks for the reply, dfan! Point taken on both accounts.

sleepy