It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The One-Eyed Fool (game review #9)
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
The one but last game in this series!
I played a 10 kyu player now. My KGS rating is 11 by accident. Although I might be approaching 11 kyu rather soon. Then I can start dreaming of reaching SDK within the next two months. Maybe :)

Anyway, a decent enough game, with mistakes on both sides, but I think my mistakes are larger. His are mostly slow play, mine are a bit more severe. I played a good endgame up until something beyond my reading/concentration ability at that point and I gave away 6 points. I lose by 3.5 points so go figure. Close game!

Post subject: Re: The One-Eyed Fool (game review #9)
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Two major things to learn from this game:

1) Endgame, endgame, endgame. In this game, although White's centre and Black's top are still vulnerable, the endgame probably starts as soon as move 100, when White makes good shape and left side territory. From that point onwards, you and your opponent concentrate on the small centre, ignoring the big endgame moves at the sides. I could write a big review about it, but I suffice by recommending Bozulich' Get Strong at the Endgame again.

2) Unlearn the bad habit of leading your stones into the opponent's wrapped arms: 33, 49, 53. Presumably the underlying thought is: "if he doesn't answer, I can hurt him". However, it's the opponent's turn and he will likely answer, so what's the status then? You need to shift your mind from "if he doesn't answer" to "if he answers" and evaluate that option first. There's no point in reducing your liberties and forcing the opponent to connect/reinforce. Many words to describe the concept of a "thank you move".

And yes, Leela was screaming for that devastating peep, which would next launch a fruitful attack on the central stones. Things to see.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 am 
Lives in gote

Knotwilg wrote:
Two major things to learn from this game:

1) Endgame, endgame, endgame. In this game, although White's centre and Black's top are still vulnerable, the endgame probably starts as soon as move 100, when White makes good shape and left side territory. From that point onwards, you and your opponent concentrate on the small centre, ignoring the big endgame moves at the sides. I could write a big review about it, but I suffice by recommending Bozulich' Get Strong at the Endgame again.

2) Unlearn the bad habit of leading your stones into the opponent's wrapped arms: 33, 49, 53. Presumably the underlying thought is: "if he doesn't answer, I can hurt him". However, it's the opponent's turn and he will likely answer, so what's the status then? You need to shift your mind from "if he doesn't answer" to "if he answers" and evaluate that option first. There's no point in reducing your liberties and forcing the opponent to connect/reinforce. Many words to describe the concept of a "thank you move".

And yes, Leela was screaming for that devastating peep, which would next launch a fruitful attack on the central stones. Things to see.

I will.

Thank you.

(about the book. I've invested over €2000 in Go the past few months, so maybe I'll get the book in a later stage. For now, I'll have to get my endgame training from Level Up, The Endgame (elementary series) and from playing games!)

This post by Ian Butler was liked by: Knotwilg

Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:52 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Quick top of the head comment or two:

W266: "Oh. No, white, I checked this, you got nothing here."
B267: "See? Two eyes."

OMG, tsumego! :shock: :cool:

W254: "Double ko? But doesn't work if the group is dead, right?"
Right you are! Tsumego knowledge. :)

B255: "I take."

Huh? You just said it doesn't work. :scratch:
Fill one of the real kos.

B251: Correct. At this point there are 3 ⅓ pt. kos on the board, with White to take. Each is worth on average ⅓ pt. of territory for White. ⅓ + ⅓ + ⅓ = 1. They all add up to 1 pt. of territory for White, with no ko fight. White captures one Black stone. (Small tidbit of endgame knowledge. :)) For instance, Black fill, White take, Black fill, White fill. Or, White take, Black fill, White fill, Black fill. All same same. :cool:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
Quick top of the head comment or two:

W266: "Oh. No, white, I checked this, you got nothing here."
B267: "See? Two eyes."

OMG, tsumego! :shock: :cool:

Mommy, look, I did it! I did tsumego :clap:

Haha yes, you are right. When playing a game I love "tsumego", because it's in the context of a go game.
I find tsumego exercise a bit dry, though.

Though the Level Up series is already much better, and GGPB is always more inviting. So I'll try to get my tsumego from there, and of course from during the game!