It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The One-Eyed Fool (game review #10)
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
The last game of this series! It's been one hell of a ride. I've made some pretty awful mistakes, and I made some good moves. I turned the tables more than once and I lost when I was ahead.

I've learned many things on a short time, and I think after a while even more will settle down into my brain with some distance.

I'll rewatch all my reviews from this series and your comments and make a list of the most important things said/learned and post that in my study journal tomorrow.

For now, enjoy the finale of this series, against no less than a 7 kyu.

I won't say I should've won that game. Because I didn't. My opponent played well and did great in pushing me, leading to a big mistake. That's definitely her achievement.
But I will say this: I feel like I stood up in this game. I held my own and I feel like I can play 7 kyus and give them something to worry about.

I just need to get a little better.
(don't we always?)

Thanks everyone for your support throughout this series! Special thanks to knotwilg and Bill for your numerous comments. Everyone else who commented, I appreciate it a lot! And those just reading, I hope you perhaps learned something too, or had a lot of fun watching this DDK player mess about in 10 lovely games!

End score:
5 wins
5 losses

Perfect balance!

Post subject: Re: The One-Eyed Fool (game review #10)
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ian Butler wrote:
But I will say this: I feel like I stood up in this game. I held my own and I feel like I can play 7 kyus and give them something to worry about.

(don't we always?)

Why not get a lot better? :D

Seriously, didn't you say that you tend to match your opponent's level? So play up. Play even against SDKs. Up your game. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:41 pm 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
Ian Butler wrote:

(don't we always?)

Seriously, didn't you say that you tend to match your opponent's level? So play up. Play even against SDKs. Up your game. :)

Haha yes of course a lot better, I was talking short term. If I keep getting a little better, I get a lot better :D

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence, though? I feel I played one of my best games here and it was an even game, no handicap and komi. So that's good, isn't it?

Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ian Butler wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Ian Butler wrote:

(don't we always?)

Haha yes of course a lot better, I was talking short term.

I was talking short term, too. :D You could get a few stones stronger in a few weeks.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence, though? I feel I played one of my best games here and it was an even game, no handicap and komi. So that's good, isn't it?

You upped your game that once. Why not up it permanently?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 am 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
I was talking short term, too. :D You could get a few stones stronger in a few weeks.

I'll definitely try, but I don't want to put pressure on my development. I'll let it develop naturally and we'll see where I end up within the next few weeks. I am very hungry to grow stronger, so the drive is there. But I also realize you can hit a plateau for a while and if I set myself a "rank" goal, I might end up frustrated/disappointed.

Bill Spight wrote:
You upped your game that once. Why not up it permanently?

I intend to :)
Thanks for pushing me to improve to the best of my abilities ;)