It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 13 kyu - 14 kyu, moyo building game
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Another game, after trying to lessen my online play a bit (yes, it's almost as contradictory as it sounds).
I had a fairly good feeling about this game and it shows my score estimating is getting a bit better. I constantly had the feeling I was slightly ahead and I just managed to grab the biggest points, while black was unable to exploit the weaknesses I left properly.

Technically it wasn't my best game, perhaps, but I think I was never in any real danger and I played rather comfortably.

I've already reviewed the game a bit with some variations. Any pointers very much appreciated, and especially if you see some mistakes in my variations or so :)
Thanks!

Special Attention
If you'd care to help me, I'd like some special criticism about my tenuki play in this game. In the comments I also sometimes state I feel it's okay to play away for now. Is my Go instinct getting more accurate or are there moments when you say: definitely don't play away there now! Or the other way, that I play too long in a particular area. Let me know :)

Post subject: Re: 13 kyu - 14 kyu, moyo building game
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Some top of the head comments. :)

General comment. Knotwilg pointed out that when you do tenuki you usually choose the best place to go to. Given the rest of your game, you should probably tenuki a lot. :cool:

:w10: This is a good place to tenuki. It would also be a good place to tenuki if White had approached your stone on the 3d line. The reason is not obvious, but if he pincers your orphan stone, He will have played 5 more stones on the right side than you have. But because you have aji, his position is not as good as if he had 5 stones there to 0, and had played on R-10 or Q-10.

Also, instead of the two space extension, maybe the side attachment at R-14 would be good. That would strengthen the Black corner, but it is already strong, and it strengthens your stones, too.

:w12:Jump out to P-10. The rule of thumb is one eye plus access to the center. Your jump attachment strengthens you, but it also strengthens Black.

:b17: Too close to his own strength. Maybe the AI 3-3 invasion instead, maybe a wedge on the left side.

:w18: The opening is not over, but this is the last big point. White has an ideal formation.

:w20: The boshi-cum-keima, F-05, is worth considering. So is D-06.

:b21: If White had played here, Black couldn't play here now.

:w24: "I return here for a sente exchange first." Don't you mean, "for a ko"? Besides, if you had played D-06 instead of C-06, you would have a good play at F-07.

:b25: Misses the ko.

:b29: Good play locally, but wrong side of the board.

:w30: Ditto.

:w32: How about J-10?

:w56: Neither here nor there. How do you defend against the cut at D-05?
Play F-06 now!

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:12 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Well done! In general I think your tenukis were well chosen. Here are some comments on the beginning. I tried to only mention things I think a 10k should do better.

I would play :w12: at S8 instead of R8; this is a standard pattern. Then you have more than enough of a base and Black has to worry about losing a lot of supposed territory on the right. This is why Q8 is suspect. As it is Black is left with a big sente move at S8 and should end up with a 25-point corner.

After :b19:, the invasion point is at H3, not H4.

:w22: only does one thing. A move like F7 would affect both of your moyos, not just your own.

I think that :w36: at G6 would demonstrate the weakness in Black's boundary very clearly. When he plays it himself a few moves later there is a huge difference.

I'll let someone stronger than me discuss the lower left.

:w52: Don't descend to the first line.

Be very careful of the cut you left behind at D5.

:w56: is dame. So is :w60:. :w72: is just about dame too. Finally you made a big move with :w74:.

You are lucky :b67: was so unambitious.

I think you will improve faster if you play less of a big-moyo game. Games around the level often end up dividing the board in two and I think people would learn more from fighting than by peacefully building fences together. I suggest trying more fighty things like playing :w18: at H3 and/or trying to invade before it is too late like playing :w22: at L4; you may or may not have more success immediately but I think you'll more quickly get to a higher level of play.

(Now to see what Bill Spight has said in the meantime...)

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Bill
Quote:
General comment. Knotwilg pointed out that when you do tenuki you usually choose the best place to go to. Given the rest of your game, you should probably tenuki a lot.

Thank you :) I'll try!

:w10: at R-14. Wow. That's something that's not on my radar (yet). Also interesting point about the 5 stones on one side of the board. Though I'd feel quite uneasy about my lone stone there. But you're right that white can get a lot more going with another free move if black really wants that stone, and that stone is still not so easy to kill, like you said.
:w20: at F-05 would be powerful indeed!
:w24: actually I hadn't really thought about the ko :oops: I really don't have a lot of experience with ko and I'm probably a bit behind in my development concerning ko. (and especially when & why do you make ko)
:w56: felt like an okay move because it 1) connects my 2 groups on a grand scale and 2) cuts white into two. But I see that the connection is unnecessary concerning strength and that black has 2 strong groups as well. Also, it's more or less a neutral point. So I see your point in hindsight :)

dfan
Quote:
Well done! In general I think your tenukis were well chosen. Here are some comments on the beginning. I tried to only mention things I think a 10k should do better.

Cool, thanks! I'll try to work on the things you point out and become one step closer to SDK!

invasion point after :b19: yes this is something I know but probably messed up by being too casual in my review :roll: :) In game I would invade at the right point, though!
:w22: at F-07 is a great move! Although I feel K15 was somewhat decisive in the game, too.
:w52: got it. Still a leftover from my 20kyu past that lingers on. Had some real trauma with things on the first line :lol:

About the moyo-thing. I think you're definitely right and the games where things get fight-y are probably the ones I learn most from (whether I win or lose). Yet I also feel that I need games like this. I like this style of play and Go is also "play the move you want to play". Of course, you should always aim to get better and you are right that I'll need those games to get there. And I will occasionally play games where I do "pick fights" to learn. But I also feel the journey is important and I want to play games that I fully enjoy, too. For me, that's variation and flexibility. I always look for the best move in the opening (not saying I'll find it, but I always look for it) and then see what kind of game it turns into and adapt to that. It's a bit uneasy for me to start a "fighting" game when it's not really necessary. I rarely do it, but you're right that it is necessary for improvement.

Thanks both for your (quick) comments and help :)

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:20 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ian Butler wrote:
Bill
:w10: at R-14. Wow. That's something that's not on my radar (yet).

Typical sequence:

W R-14, B Q-14
W R-13, B S-15
W Q-13

Now White threatens the atari at P-14. If Black plays P-14, White slides to S-08.
Quote:
:w56: it's more or less a neutral point. So I see your point in hindsight :)

:)

Ian Butler wrote:
dfan
About the moyo-thing. I think you're definitely right and the games where things get fight-y are probably the ones I learn most from (whether I win or lose). Yet I also feel that I need games like this. I like this style of play and Go is also "play the move you want to play". Of course, you should always aim to get better and you are right that I'll need those games to get there. And I will occasionally play games where I do "pick fights" to learn.

I think that you are right. Play where you want to play, but also play to strengthen your weaknesses. :) For non-moyo games may I suggest the 9x9? Hard to avoid fighting on that board. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.