It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time to end a losing streak!
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
With the help of EdLee, I finally found a way to play online and bring my A (or more often B) game!
Today I started playing immediately after work. My concentration could've been better, and I mostly didn't read more than 3 moves ahead, but at the crucial times I used my time wisely and it was a very enjoyable game! The result wasn't even important in the end.

So how do I play online now? I lay my Goban floor table in front of me and the laptop after that. (mouse next to me) I play on the board first, then only click online. Even if it's the simplest move, I have to put the stones there first.
15 min main time and 1 min per move byo-yomi.

Already a review in this file with my opponent (who has been so kind to review the game together) and some variations that I thought of during play or after in the review. So the biggest blunders have (probably) already been pointed out.

I think my biggest achievement coming out of this game was my fighting. Not long ago it was a weakness of mine, but I handled myself fairly well this time, I think.
Biggest letdown is still that I have little sense for tesuji and I often press against my opponent and let him build a wall. I hardly ever jump in my opponent's "supposed" territory to force something. I always start pushing from my own (strong) group, to make us both stronger. When you have more territory, that's okay. But I really need to find ways to do it, because I won't always be ahead.

If you see opportunities like that in this game, definitely point them out to me, you'd be helping me a whole lot!

If you like 'where is Waldo?', then these are the things for you to search in this game:
- A horrible mistimed and misplaced peep by black
- An invasion that could have been dramatic.
- A wrong reaction to a kick. (always iron pillar)
- A paranoid move by black
- A paranoid move by white

Enjoy the search :) :cool:

Post subject: Re: Time to end a losing streak!
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:32 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Nice work! I glanced at the beginning and the two Black moves that jumped out as being not SDK quality are 27 and 67. You should be strong enough to figure out why :)

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:46 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Ian Butler wrote:
With the help of EdLee, I finally found a way to play online and bring my A (or more often B) game!

The A game for sprints, the B game for long distance runs. :)

Quote:
Today I started playing immediately after work. My concentration could've been better, and I mostly didn't read more than 3 moves ahead, but at the crucial times I used my time wisely and it was a very enjoyable game! The result wasn't even important in the end.

Reading 3 moves ahead is good. Especially at your level, breadth is more important than depth. Exploration is important, and the deeper you read, the more likely you are to choose the wrong play.(Edit: In a variation, I mean.) (If you try every play, one of them has to be best! ;))

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:22 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Positive highlight of the game: the killing sequence 135-137-139. Lethal! Moreover, it's textbook killing: reduce the space, hane, vital point.

Learning opportunity: being too preoccupied with turning the upper right into a big territory, rather than maximizing your sphere of influence, playing elsewhere or in general let things happen rather than forcing them. In particular, the atari of 61 was at the wrong side and the subsequent sacrifice of two stones was probably well devised, but the wrong plan, leading to major central influence for White and after all not such a big growth of black territory.

Details: