It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Operation Overboard [Game #1]
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Just like in April, with the One Eyed-Fool, I want to make another small review series.
This time it'll be a bit different though.

Background / Spoonsy
June is the month where I'm training my weakest Go skills. That means I do a bunch of L&D, (every day. From 1001 L&D, Jump Level Up etc) and I train my fighting skills. For that reason I made a KGS account called Spoonsy (don't ask why that name).
The games I play with this account are not especially the best games, because I will ignore some instinct (take the biggest point) and try to play as aggressive as I can. Hopefully my last game in this series will be much more aggressive than this first. Because in order to learn how to fight, one must first learn when, where and how one can start fights. Because I believe fighting should bring a big advantage (unless you lose the fight, of course).

If you want to help me throughout these series, you definitely can and it'd be much appreciated! But you should keep the above in mind. Comments on whole-board thinking or 'larger points' will probably be very valid, but Spoonsy doesn't care about big points :)

Rules
- Attack whenever I can.
- Avoid joseki as much as possible.
- Only if I see no opportunity to fight, take a big point. Perhaps even a slight overplay, so a fight can errupt.
- Minding the fundamentals and some principles like Cut & Connect, Surround, Shapes...

Unlike The One-Eyed Fool, this review series won't be move per move, instead I'll comment briefly and always with the principle that I used to play that move. (not every move, though). If you disagree, please comment below!

I don't know how long I'll do this series. Perhaps I'll try to do 10, like the last one. Perhaps I'll do them until the end of June. We'll have to see.

On the name of this series
When I was about 11 years old, I was extremely interested in WWII and read many books about the subject. So June & fighting immediately call up Operation Overlord (D-Day) in my head. Because of my weak fighting skills, let's call this series Operation Overboard instead ;-)

Game 1: vs GadgetoBot 7 kyu

So a fun first game, against a bot. Though I seriously doubt it was a 7 kyu bot. It made some questionable moves, so it's strength is probably more around 12 kyu, I think.
I played some good attacking moves, I think, and succeeded in killing the top group, but only because black tenuki'd a few times too many. Maybe my attack wouldn't have been as fruitful against a human player.
Then again, when building those 2 walls, I wasn't thinking off killing black yet. I was just happy to gain a wall to use for fighting while black's wall would be fairly useless next to my thickness. (Thickness that could've been pressured a lot more, though...)

Overall I'm fine with this game. I played more aggressive then I usually would and that's the point of this series. But I feel I might've missed some more lethal killing moves.

Any help appreciated!

This post by Ian Butler was liked by: Elom

Post subject: Re: Operation Overboard [Game #1]
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:36 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Yes, you missed a few killing moves. Fortunately, it did too. ;-)

Post subject: Re: Operation Overboard [Game #1]
Post #3 Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
Thanks for the feedback. Luckily I have many things to work with for this series :)