It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally SDK quality? (#1)
Post #1 Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
I have three games to share I played earlier today (and one from earlier this weekend).
Conditions were not optimal, meaning it's mostly between blitz and live, with moves never taking over 15 seconds. So actually fairly blitz.
That doesn't mean the games weren't serious attempts. I do feel that blitz is also a valid method of "training" Go, as long as you don't always do it.

Anyhow, what's most interesting for me is that, after slowing down my Go progress immensily, I feel I've really passed the DDK bar for good this time. If you win games against DDK while blitzing (opponent wasn't necessarily blitzing and used his time far wiser than me... Not the issue here), I think it's safe to say my Go instincts are of SDK quality.

I request game reviews in order to have stronger players point out moves that don't belong in the SDK range. Unfortunately, there is hardly anything to say about my reading in these games, as per the blitzing, but it's mostly about: eye for sente, large moves, direction of play...
The games I lost playing like this (against 7kyu, 4kyu...) I have already reviewed with Leela plenty myself and the message there is: non-sente move kills my pace and ruins the game. I post the games I won here, because mistakes are less likier to have been punished.

For practical reasons, I'll split up the games in 3 different threads.

(I am MeesterJonas - my profile for playing in the classroom with the Go club :lol: )

Game 1

Not a bad game, per se. :w73: and :w75: are so stupid, though. I need to play at T16 immediately. My opponent missed this, too, and that mostly decided the game. That and an opponent who resigned too early in my opinion. Though I did feel ahead at the point of resignation.
I feel my tactical playing (except the obvious fail at 73) has definitely improved, especially considering this is blitz for me. I see more opportunities than ever before.

Post subject: Re: Finally SDK quality? (#1)
Post #2 Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:03 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Top of the head comments on game 1. :)

:w19: How about a one space jump instead?

:w29: It makes sense to attach at R-16 and then answer the 3-3 hane with a hane at Q-15, to weaken the Black R-12 stone. The 3-3 invasion will strengthen that stone instead, thus weakening the White R-09 stone.

:w33: The solid connection is good.

After that you got lucky. :lol:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:53 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 8
Bill Spight wrote:

73. M12??
:lol:

Post #4 Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
WindCaliber wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

73. M12??
:lol:

Glad my mistake is such a source of amusement to you.

@Bill: interesting idea about the alternative for the 3-3 invasion. It does make more sense to use that stone that's already there. Will try that out in the future!