It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Game review request (IGS 17K)
Post #21 Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:56 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 2
IGS: xoxox
DGS: xoxoxox
OGS: xoxox
Online playing schedule: 24x7
Board should atleast have portrait/landscape option. Portrait style with larger controls at bottom could solve lot of troubles related to mobile devices. Ergonomically designed board can save lot of left/right scroll as well as taps, and eventually Emacs pinky type of diseases.

Post subject:
Post #22 Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:28 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
Emacs pinky type of diseases.
vi guy here. :rambo:

( But yes, this interface wasn't designed for tiny screens. :blackeye: )

Post #23 Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:12 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
xoxox wrote:
jlt wrote:
For instance, :b7: is an armpit hit, this is usually bad.

Yes, this is usually bad but in Chinese fuseki I have seen this move in books, video analysis etc. It might not be so bad here and probably depends upon follow up moves, which I don't think I played very accurately.

This comment stood out to me. Are you saying that because you have seen r9 played in the Chinese opening, you thought it would be good here? But there's already a white stone at q10 which makes a huge difference (and lower right is not a 3-4 like in Chinese opening). The Chinese opening with its characteristic move at r9 doesn't mean the r9 co-ordinate is always a good idea! That's like saying because you once had a nice picnic in a field a year ago the exact same GPS coordinate is a good idea for a picnic now, ignoring the fact it has since been turned into a road and a juggernaut is bearing down on you about to crush you to death (like white q10). The relationship of a stone to nearby ones is far more important that the coordinate (the coordinate does have some unchanging effect in that it describes how far from the edge a position is, and a stone on the 3rd line in isolation has certain characteristics of stability/territory/base-making).

Post subject:
Post #24 Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:47 am 
Honinbo

Hi xoxox,
Quote:
but in Chinese fuseki I have seen this move in books, video analysis etc.
Follow-up to post 23: did you mean you saw :black: R9 with :white: Q10 ? Or without :white: Q10 ?

In Go discussions, when we say "this move", we usually mean "this move in this local context ( and sometimes in this global context )". So I thought you meant you'd seen :black: R9 with :white: Q10 already in place.

Post #25 Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:51 am 
Dies in gote

@Uberdude
Yes, you are right. It was kind of an experimental move, even knowing that it is against all Go commansense. I don't know why I thought for a while and made that counterintuitive move knowing fully well it might not work well.

This probably happened because I was unable to decide whether it was a good move or bad in long run. My follow-up wasn't good and it didn't work well.

Your picnic analogy was pretty accurate but I ended up learning few more things about Go so all in all nice experience, learning from the mistakes.

Post #26 Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:56 am 
Dies in gote

@EdLee

Yes, I probably could have seen it without Q10 but some other stone in vicinity of R9. This subtle differences might make a big difference in the long run. It was local, not sure with or without Q10.

Post subject:
Post #27 Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:08 pm 
Honinbo

Hi xoxox,

Follow-up to "I've seen this move"...

One of the first corner patterns people encounter:
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$W Variation 1
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . 4 . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . 3 X . . . . . , . .
$$ | . . 1 2 . . . . . . . .
$$ +------------------------[/go]

From my observation, quite a few people, having seen the above shape, would play the following :b4: hane:
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$W Variation 2
$$ | . . 4 . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . 3 X . . . . . , . .
$$ | . . 1 2 . O . X . . . .
$$ +------------------------[/go]
When asked why :b4:, they'd reply "I've seen this move before..."
But they didn't realize :b4: in var 1 is very different from :b4: in var 2.
They are not the same move! :)
Quote:
Yes, I probably could have seen it without Q10 but some other stone in vicinity of R9.
If you were referring to Chinese opening variations, it's unlikely there were :white: stones near R9 when :black: played R9 ( and, as mentioned, your board was not a Chinese opening situation ). Like the :b4: hane example above, it may be educational if you could pinpoint the source ( a book, a video, etc. ), and compare it with your :b7: in the real game.
Quote:
This subtle differences might make a big difference in the long run.
Yes. It's not "subtle"; it's a huge difference. :) ( Re: picnic analogy )

Post #28 Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:35 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
xoxox wrote:
@Uberdude
Yes, you are right. It was kind of an experimental move, even knowing that it is against all Go commansense. I don't know why I thought for a while and made that counterintuitive move knowing fully well it might not work well.

Let me encourage you to experiment and to try out moves that may go against common sense or how other people play or advise. You have to develop your judgement, which is in the end all you can rely upon. As you point out, learning from mistakes is good. :)

Quote:
This probably happened because I was unable to decide whether it was a good move or bad in long run. My follow-up wasn't good and it didn't work well.

You don't actually know whether your follow-up was good or bad. True, your line of play did not work out too well.

xoxox wrote:
Yes, I probably could have seen it without Q10 but some other stone in vicinity of R9. This subtle differences might make a big difference in the long run.

EdLee wrote:
It's not "subtle"; it's a huge difference.

It's good to try things out, to learn from mistakes, and to explain your reasoning. But please understand, your (Edit: xoxox's) opinion is not worth much. Not yet, anyway. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.