It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unclear loss
Post #1 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:05 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 165
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: yakcyll
I played a game that left me scratching my head a bit. I'm not sure if my errors were uncharacteristically bad, but during the game and during analysis it wasn't quite clear to me where the major mistakes were (having three weak groups was definitely one). All input is welcome.

Post subject: Re: Unclear loss
Post #2 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:00 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
My thoughts...

Post #3 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:39 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
There is a theme to the opening comments. :)

Main focus: Getting enclosed, even if you make small life, is usually not good.

Edit: I have been thinking about what lost the game. No one thing, OC. Black came out of the fighting on the bottom side behind. Then :b71:, although joseki, was passive. :w76: gave Black chances, but :b77: should have been the jump attachment, attacking both sides. Then, :b79:, although maybe OK in itself, led to a complicated position where Black had difficulties. Finally, at least as far as I looked, the hane, :b87:, was an overplay, leaving Black with too many weaknesses.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:16 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1102
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
EDIT: I see that Bill posted while I was typing. Hmmm...I still don't like your direction of play at move 25, even if he says it is good.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:42 am 
Honinbo

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
EDIT: I see that Bill posted while I was typing. Hmmm...I still don't like your direction of play at move 25, even if he says it is good.

Nothing against your suggestions. In fact, attacking the White group on the right side might be best. But other moves are quite playable. If Black undercuts the White group in the bottom right (while making a live group himself), and White does not reply (and I think he should not), then Black M-03 is an attack against that group.

Not that that play occurred to me, but once Black plays it, its value becomes apparent. It is playable. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:57 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 165
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: yakcyll
Thank you all for comments :) It does look like I underestimated the strength of the wall a lot.
Bill Spight wrote:
There is a theme to the opening comments. :)
Some losses just look like I could draw some general conclusions from them. Other than that, I still have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. Also, it sounds like playing 2 is the key!
I think the main takeaways are to remember the shape in the bottom left (how white's tiger's mouth encloses black solidly and black's push prevents that and leaves potential for a push and a cut), avoiding getting enclosed, avoiding heavy play near strength and looking for counter-attacks. I really liked your idea to keep the three white stones on the bottom unsettled from the start, Bill.

@Joaz: Good point about not settling until necessary. Also, jumping out of a pincer after an approach like this always seemed like a no-no to me. What's different between a low 1-space pincer and a high 1-space pincer in this regard?

Post #7 Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 pm 
Honinbo

yakcyll wrote:
I think the main takeaways are to remember the shape in the bottom left (how white's tiger's mouth encloses black solidly and black's push prevents that and leaves potential for a push and a cut), avoiding getting enclosed, avoiding heavy play near strength and looking for counter-attacks. I really liked your idea to keep the three white stones on the bottom unsettled from the start, Bill.

I was around your strength when I learned about plays like White C-07, even if it does not carry a threat against the corner. I did not believe it was so big, but I tried it out in my own games, with great success. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: yakcyll

Post subject:
Post #8 Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:31 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi yakcll,
Some suggestions for :b25: .
( DeepLeela is a 'freebie' bot; other bots with better software and hardware may give different numbers. :) )
Attachment:
IMG_3476.PNG
IMG_3476.PNG [ 77.55 KiB | Viewed 4212 times ]