All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting into Tygem
Post #1 Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:38 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Tygem is sometimes thought to be one of the more difficult servers to get into, particularly if you don't have a Korean national ID. However, it's actually pretty easy to sign up through the Japanese and Chinese clients.

Some instructions that I posted awhile back about using the Japanese client are here:

Quote:
I made a tygem account through the Japanese website with no problems. You just follow the instructions that they have on the site, and things go fine.

Here are some steps.

1.) Go to tygem.co.jp, and click on the ログイン button (the top left button in the image below). Alternatively, you can click the link under "Step 1".

2.) On the next screen, click on the "無料会員登録" button (it is the top yellow button with the weird white character shown below the login dialog).

3.) You will see a big user agreement form. Just scroll to the end, and click on "WEBで申し込む" (shown at the bottom of the second of the next to images. There is a computer icon near the button.).

4.) Fill out the user information on the next page. In order, the items you need to fill out are:

Japanese Handlename, Foreign Handlename, Name, Password, Password Confirmation, Date of Birth, Email address, Email address confirmation, Go Strength, Number confirmation (just enter the numbers that are shown), and avatar.

5.) Click on the left of the two buttons at the bottom of the form.

6.) After this, you may get an email with information, and you should be able to log into the system. You can log in from the website, using your username and password.

That's all there is to it, really. I typically use the Korean client these days, so please feel free to post updates to the process of using the other clients in this thread.

Post subject: Re: Getting into Tygem
Post #2 Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
Thanks Kirby. Unfortunately, the URL redirects to http://www.toyo-igo.jp/ and it appears to be completely different from what you describe.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Déjà Vu wrote:
Thanks Kirby. Unfortunately, the URL redirects to http://www.toyo-igo.jp/ and it appears to be completely different from what you describe.

Tygem is Toyo Igo; from oren who posted in the Go servers section on my site:
oren wrote:
Tygem in Japan is known as Toyo Igo (http://www.toyo-igo.com). Though many in Japan still use Tygem since the name change was fairly recent.

Similarly, it is known as TOM in China.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:01 pm 
Honinbo

I'll elaborate more a bit later, and give a better explanation... Maybe with pictures. This initial post is just from the old GD site. I've got a couple of things I'm studying tonight. I've gotta get some of that stuff people refer to as time management.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 80
Was liked: 62
Kirby wrote:
I'll elaborate more a bit later, and give a better explanation... Maybe with pictures. This initial post is just from the old GD site. I've got a couple of things I'm studying tonight. I've gotta get some of that stuff people refer to as time management.

Time management? Boo.

Why do today what you can procrastinate tomorrow? Wisdom to live by. :roll:

Thanks for the info, and I look forward to the updates. Been considering checking this out for a bit, but haven't taken the time yet. More info will cut down on my excuses. ;)

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:47 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 188
Thanks Kirby for starting this. I will try to get some pictures up with random explanations when I can.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 pm 
Honinbo

Well, I started to make a more elaborate post about getting into the Japanese Tygem site so that I could make updates to the process as might be appropriate, but registering is not working for me right now. When I fill out all of my registration information, I"m redirected to a weird site. I think that the registration site is checking to see if you have a Japanese IP address, so it may be possible to register by going through a proxy server.

I'm going to have to investigate this a bit further before elaborating on what I have above.

Post #8 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 am 
Gosei

I should add to this thread that it is next to impossible to get the client working on a non-Korean copy of Windows Vista or 7 (unless it's Ultimate, which allows you to tinker with system locale). I've tried everything to no avail, and benwahwah on my blog made similar observations. So if you're a Windows user and you have Vista or 7 and it's in English, you're out of luck.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:23 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Araban wrote:
I should add to this thread that it is next to impossible to get the client working on a non-Korean copy of Windows Vista or 7 (unless it's Ultimate, which allows you to tinker with system locale). I've tried everything to no avail, and benwahwah on my blog made similar observations. So if you're a Windows user and you have Vista or 7 and it's in English, you're out of luck.

Does this appeal to the japanese and chinese versions of the tygemclient, too?

Post #10 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:55 am 
Lives in gote

Maybe a dumb question, but why would they want to shut out people outside of Japan? The site is full of flash type buttons so translations are impossible. It seems like they're going to a lot of trouble to keep certain people out. I don't get it.

Post #11 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Kirby wrote:
I'm going to have to investigate this a bit further before elaborating on what I have above.

This was my previous experience as well. Find a Japanese proxy server, register, and then turn off the proxy is the easiest way to deal with it.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:20 am 
Gosei

Jonas wrote:
Araban wrote:

Does this appeal to the japanese and chinese versions of the tygemclient, too?

I take my statement back - for some odd reason, I decided to try Tygem just using English system locale, even though the fonts look ridiculous. I have 2 accounts, one that uses Korean characters and the other using simply English. When trying to enter my Korean character account it fails to login (probably related to font/character issues), BUT when I try to enter my English character account - it works! Well, it looks kind of ugly with the broken characters but hey - I can't complain. Hopefully I can find a way to have it render correctly in Korean, then it'll be all good - but for now, I guess the best thing to do is NOT to change your system locale to Korean if you have Windows 7/Vista that's not Ultimate edition.

Post #13 Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:31 pm 
Gosei

I don't know how I did it, but somehow I got Tygem to work successfully on Windows 7 - no character problems, everything works fine. It was basically me swapping various files around for 30 minutes between two separate installations I did for Tygem, one using Applocale and one without it, then using Applocale again on LiveBaduk.exe. I don't know which files I copied over are from which installation, so I uploaded my Program File folder here: http://rapidshare.com/files/380882432/T ... _.rar.html - Yes, the characters on the folder should look strange. Just stick that into your Program Files folder and run LiveBaduk.exe using Applocale (make sure to put on Administrator privilege, otherwise it will just load for a second then disappear). There are guides out there that show how to use Applocale in Windows 7. I also had LiveBaduk.exe run under Compatibility Mode with Windows XP SP3 and with full Administrative privileges, though I don't think that matters.

Anyways, yessssss! I'm so happy, can't believe I was almost considering upgrading to Win7 Ultimate JUST for Tygem :).

I'm going to try and retrace my steps and compile a Win7 guide later - but first, homework!

Post #14 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:05 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
//offtopic
Oh my god, araban has installed Warcraft 3... and three different browsers oO ? ^^

Post #15 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:56 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 30
<offtopic>
And a Vim user. :)
</offtopic>

Post #16 Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:45 pm 
Lives in gote

And an R user

Post #17 Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:03 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 2
GD Posts: 21
KGS: Rafa
Jonas wrote:
//offtopic
Oh my god, araban has installed Warcraft 3... and three different browsers oO ? ^^

[Off Topic]
Not only Warcraft 3 but also Starcraft 1 and 2 heś the man!
P.S: Love your background

Post #18 Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:34 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
TOM is Tygem, really?

Post #19 Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:09 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 188
palapiku wrote:
TOM is Tygem, really?

Yep

Post #20 Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:38 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
Can you please post the registration page for tygem? For Chinese client please. Thank you.