It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tygem sucks
Post #1 Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:52 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 7
I've been cheated on twice by the disconnection error and in a recent game of mine when I disconnected, my opponent waited for 5 minutes in a game where he/she was losing by around 100 rather than just resigning. (I guess there's nothing wrong with this rules wise, but I'd prefer not to play against people like this)

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternate go server that I could use? Preferably not KGS or IGS because I don't really like using them anymore.

Post subject: Re: Tygem sucks
Post #2 Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
wbaduk is the only major one left.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:54 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
Sheesh, if only Tygem had a more relaxed attitude towards escapers...

(Sorry! Sorry! I just can't resist taking this chance to needle all the people who complain about my system!)

This post by wms was liked by 12 people: Eizero, ez4u, gasana, hyperpape, illluck, Jayy, Mef, mw42, Phelan, RBerenguel, SpongeBob, topazg

Post #4 Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:31 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Eizero wrote:
I've been cheated on twice by the disconnection error and in a recent game of mine when I disconnected, my opponent waited for 5 minutes in a game where he/she was losing by around 100 rather than just resigning. (I guess there's nothing wrong with this rules wise, but I'd prefer not to play against people like this)

Anyone have any suggestions for an alternate go server that I could use? Preferably not KGS or IGS because I don't really like using them anymore.

Out of curiosity... Why not kgs or igs?

Post #5 Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 7
thx for the suggestion, oren.

I prefer slow games and I don't like playing handicap games either. A lot of people play slow games as 2d on kgs (from my observation of the active games tab) but it seems to drop steeply KGS 3d onwards. (tygem 5d = kgs 3d according to this forum) I do have a KGS account but I mainly use it to chat and play free games.

Also I don't like IGS' interface.

I guess I'll stick to using tygem for now, unfortunately. xD

Post #6 Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:57 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: burrito
I think I prefer the Tygem policy to the KGS policy. I don't get very worked up about escapers (anymore) so it's not really a big deal. However, I would say the number of times I don't win a game that I should have won on KGS because of escaper is at least an order of magnitude larger than the number of times larger than the number I've lost on Tygem because I've been disconnected and couldn't get back online within 5 mins. (even when scaled to consider that I play more on one server than the other)

So, from the perspective of least total "harm" to me (number of incorrect results) and the perspective of which outcome I have more control over (zero control over escapers, lots of control over how reliable of a connection I pay for and whether or not I have other options) I say the Tygem approach works better.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:17 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
Eizero wrote:
Also I don't like IGS' interface.

I don't think IGS technically has an 'interface' (well, except for maybe a text terminal), although it has a recommended client. Have you tried difference clients? (By the way, I'm not a huge fan of the IGS clients I've seen--I just wanted to point out there are a few of them).