It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why don't more people use Tygem?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 12
I just played on it for the first time the other day, and I don't understand why it doesn't have a stronger US community. The client is great, it has a native iPad client (!) that doesn't require you to jump through hoops like KGS does, and most importantly, it's got developers who actually seem to care about it instead of neglecting it.

Post subject: Re: Why don't more people use Tygem?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:16 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
I picked up playing again on tygem recently and like it as well. I lend my iPad to my father though who is in hospital at the moment. But soon...

Post #3 Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:16 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Lamp wrote:
I just played on it for the first time the other day, and I don't understand why it doesn't have a stronger US community. The client is great, it has a native iPad client (!) that doesn't require you to jump through hoops like KGS does, and most importantly, it's got developers who actually seem to care about it instead of neglecting it.

The PC client has some odd bugs for me like the buttons not being fully viewable. It's a decent place to play games, but KGS just seems to have overall better features.

This post by oren was liked by: Ellyster

Post #4 Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:21 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 76
Was liked: 29
GD Posts: 1005
Universal go server handle: sverre
The tygem client doesn't work very well with linux, in my experience.

This post by Sverre was liked by 3 people: cdybeijing, Dusk Eagle, emeraldemon

Post #5 Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am 
Oza

Also they don't have an Android client which makes me lose interest away from the PC. I picked up the wbaduk client for Android in Japanese, and it works well.

I guess the real question is whether wbaduk or Tygem is better.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 24
KGS: 4kyu
If I play games on my iPad I can't get the files down onto my pc for reviewing. Otherwise I really like it there. Fighting is crazy.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:47 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Because there appears to be a strange GUI bug where the resign button isn't clickable for any of my opponents.

This post by Solomon was liked by 14 people: betterlife, Boidhre, ez4u, Hushfield, Kirby, Koosh, MS_Sydney, nagano, oca, oren, shapenaji, snorri, SpongeBob, topazg

Post #8 Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 65
Universal go server handle: pluspy
Araban wrote:
Because there appears to be a strange GUI bug where the resign button isn't clickable for any of my opponents.

The resign button only appears when you're ready to go to counting :p
Joking aside, the only bug I see sometimes is the bug where the opponent resigns and leaves immediately but the client tells you he disconnected and to wait 5 min. If you see the resignation then you're safe to exit the game.

When comparing wbaduk to tygem I'm vastly in favour of tygem. The same holds true for kgs vs tygem. Tygem rank system is simply better and if your opponent is rude and doesn't want to end the game or tries to cheat, you can call an admin who will react very fast. There are plenty of friendly people on tygem (I have accumulated a few friends there who seem to appear often when I play games. They barely speak English but still ^^). Tygem is all in all a great server for playing, but for kibitzing and socializing KGS is the server of choice. The reason most westerners avoid tygem is because they miss the social stuff KGS provides, but tygem has alot more strong opponents so if you're a mid-high dan then I can recommend tygem even more than if you're SDK/low-dan. If you're ddk/sdk kgs is probably better because in the kyus, the tygem rankings are weird and sandbagger infested. When you get to dan level, the playing experience improves drastically ;d

edit: It also feels kinda cool because of the flag feature. Aww yiir, Represent!

Post #9 Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:50 am 
Dies with sente

OtakuViking wrote:
Araban wrote:

The resign button only appears when you're ready to go to counting :p
Joking aside, the only bug I see sometimes is the bug where the opponent resigns and leaves immediately but the client tells you he disconnected and to wait 5 min. If you see the resignation then you're safe to exit the game.

When comparing wbaduk to tygem I'm vastly in favour of tygem. The same holds true for kgs vs tygem. Tygem rank system is simply better and if your opponent is rude and doesn't want to end the game or tries to cheat, you can call an admin who will react very fast. There are plenty of friendly people on tygem (I have accumulated a few friends there who seem to appear often when I play games. They barely speak English but still ^^). Tygem is all in all a great server for playing, but for kibitzing and socializing KGS is the server of choice. The reason most westerners avoid tygem is because they miss the social stuff KGS provides, but tygem has alot more strong opponents so if you're a mid-high dan then I can recommend tygem even more than if you're SDK/low-dan. If you're ddk/sdk kgs is probably better because in the kyus, the tygem rankings are weird and sandbagger infested. When you get to dan level, the playing experience improves drastically ;d

edit: It also feels kinda cool because of the flag feature. Aww yiir, Represent!

I don't understand the sandbagger hate. Normally people would kill for an even game against a stronger opponent. Why do things suddenly change just because someone is pretending to be a rank they aren't? The games in which I'm sandbagged are the best ones, because those are the ones where I'm usually punished the hardest for my mistakes.

That being said, so far the only thing I dislike about Tygem is that the score estimator doesn't seem to work in review mode, and the save game feature appears to be broken.

This post by Lamp was liked by: Splatted

Post #10 Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:58 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
When did people ever like charlatans?

Post #11 Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:34 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 10
KGS: Coyote
DGS: Coyote
I dislike sandbaggers because when I want to play an even game against someone of my level I don't want it to turn out to be a sandbagger.

If I'm going to play against a stronger opponent I'd rather get a review afterwards from that opponent. A true sandbagger doesn't tend to give reviews.

Post #12 Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:55 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Coyote wrote:
I dislike sandbaggers because when I want to play an even game against someone of my level I don't want it to turn out to be a sandbagger.

If I'm going to play against a stronger opponent I'd rather get a review afterwards from that opponent. A true sandbagger doesn't tend to give reviews.

The refutations are left as exercises for the student.

More seriously, they'd probably be good games to post here or on the gtl if you aren't able to figure out where you went wrong.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
About saving games from Tygem - it works. Also if you played on iPad your games are available via PC client. All is explained in other topics here on L19 (how to download a game from tygem, where the files are saved etc.)

This post by lobotommy was liked by: p2501

Post #14 Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:36 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
lobotommy wrote:
About saving games from Tygem - it works. Also if you played on iPad your games are available via PC client. All is explained in other topics here on L19 (how to download a game from tygem, where the files are saved etc.)

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely try that.

Post #15 Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:19 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
Quote:
Why don't more people use Tygem?

No Mac client, in my case

Post #16 Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:27 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
KGS: Baldanders
Same here -- no Mac client, and trying to get it to work via Wine
has been an utter failure.

Post #17 Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I got a Mac client (basicly a wine wrapper in a dmg) from a friend of a friend. I've long since lost the link, and no longer remember which friend (because it was from a random Facebook post). I might still have the dmg somewhere -- if they haven't updated the client, it might still work.

Tygem sucks.

Post #18 Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
KGS: Baldanders
I know there are people out there who have gotten it to work using Wine -- it just never has for me. It only successfully launches about 50% of the time, and the other 50% of the time everything works -- except the mouse (or trackpad). I can see what games are being played, but not view any of them or play myself. So, thanks, but it seems unlikely that would fix the problem, since I've already essentially been down that route.

Post #19 Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:21 pm 
Oza

No Android client is my main reason.

Post #20 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 98
Universal go server handle: Alguien
oren wrote:
No Android client is my main reason.

My only reason.