It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why don't more people use Tygem?
Post #61 Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Kirby wrote:
Do you have a source for this information?

Which ones? The pros playing rated games is just a guess from what I've heard of online. The relayed games are fairly obvious from just being online and watching the broadcasts.

Post #62 Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:04 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
oren wrote:
Kirby wrote:
Do you have a source for this information?

Which ones? The pros playing rated games is just a guess from what I've heard of online. The relayed games are fairly obvious from just being online and watching the broadcasts.

Well, I see relayed games happening quite a bit, so I am curious if it's actually the case. Sometimes you have to pay T-points to enter the game and see the analysis, but pretty much whenever I logon to Tygem, games are being shown.

Post #63 Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:20 pm 
Oza

Kirby wrote:
Well, I see relayed games happening quite a bit, so I am curious if it's actually the case. Sometimes you have to pay T-points to enter the game and see the analysis, but pretty much whenever I logon to Tygem, games are being shown.

Well, I'm on in prime time and can see 4-6 games being relayed on Tygem. I see those games plus sometimes 10-20 more on wbaduk. Especially if Chinese City league is going or a Wednesday night which is Japanese league matches. There just doesn't seem to be as many relayed on Tygem.

Sport Accord is another example. If you go on wbaduk Japan 1 now, you'll see a ton of those games and one on Korea 1 Tygem.

Post #64 Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
emerus wrote:
Is there any way to have the Korean text displayed instead of this?

Quote:
±âºÐÁÁÀº ´ë¼¼Á¡ÀÔ´Ï´Ù.
Áö±Ý±îÁö´Â ¹éÀÇ È帧ÀÌ ±¦Âú¾Æ º¸ÀÔ´Ï´Ù.

I remember fooling around with language packs in Windows but had no luck. I figure for some short comments, I could get someone from Google translate. :)

You need AppLocale. To get AppLocale installed I had to run windows command prompt as administrator, and then run the AppLocale installer. After that you run AppLocale and tell it to run Tygem or whatever using Korean language. This works perfectly on Tygem, but on Wbaduk the text for diagram popups is still garbage, and I cannot type in Korean.

This post by yoyoma was liked by: dfan

Post #65 Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
So why is Tygem bigger and more popular than WBaduk then? Just coincidence?

Post #66 Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:41 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Pippen wrote:

Tygem is most popular in Korea, but i'd bet it's not most popular in Japan or China.

Anyway, overall, Tygem has better features, more strong players, etc. I can't think of a single reason that wbaduk/cyberoro is better. There's also the snowball effect - when more people are on a server, it's more fun, so more people join the server.

But to be practical, why not try both servers and decide for yourself?

Post #67 Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:42 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Pippen wrote:
How do you guys rate Tygem vs. WBaduk?

ranks the same?

I'm 5d on WBaduk but was only 3d on Tygem for the short time I played there.

Post #68 Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:49 am 
Lives in gote

Shenoute wrote:
Pippen wrote:
How do you guys rate Tygem vs. WBaduk?

ranks the same?

I'm 5d on WBaduk but was only 3d on Tygem for the short time I played there.

:shock:

Cool, I may go from 1d-KGS to 3d-Tygem and 5d-WBaduk without actually improving^^. But I will not further try out WBaduk, just because I'm OK with KGS and Tygem. It's no fun to jump around to too many servers.

Post #69 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:35 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
1st thing, I hate the tygem looks... KGS is 10 times better in both design and community.

Also tygem is full of sandbaggers and their ranks are unrealistic.

A minimum ranking of 18 can be selected upon registration. Now when I play on any server I tend not to choose people with very few games played since I don't want to risk any sandbaggers, instead I choose someone with around 50%-50% win lose rate.

I am 9 kyu on KGS and I lose to a 18kyu there on tygem. And I am sure those weren't sandbaggers since they had like 500 won and 450 lost approx. You can also get total newbies with 18k or someone who would be probably around 7 kyu on KGS.

Which is why I don't like the server since it is not newbie friendly.

For higher dans, I can't tell.

Post #70 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:52 am 
Oza

Krama wrote:
A minimum ranking of 18 can be selected upon registration. Now when I play on any server I tend not to choose people with very few games played since I don't want to risk any sandbaggers, instead I choose someone with around 50%-50% win lose rate.

I met a sandbagger who just resigned 50% of his games from winning positions. :)

Post #71 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:47 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 702
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
A sandbagger could resign his way to 18k on KGS just as easily as on tygem I think. I haven't played enough on tygem to say whether there are more sandbaggers than on KGS, but if so, why? Does KGS have a strictly-enforced anti-sandbagging policy?

Post #72 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:02 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
emeraldemon wrote:
A sandbagger could resign his way to 18k on KGS just as easily as on tygem I think. I haven't played enough on tygem to say whether there are more sandbaggers than on KGS, but if so, why? Does KGS have a strictly-enforced anti-sandbagging policy?

I was under the impression that admins could forcefully derank someone who is clearly sandbagging, but I have no idea how often this happens.

Post #73 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:18 am 
Lives in gote

Can somebody tell me what - for those people - sense it makes to sandbag? Is it just the thrill to beat up the weaker?

Post #74 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:49 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
Krama wrote:
I am 9 kyu on KGS and I lose to a 18kyu there on tygem. And I am sure those weren't sandbaggers since they had like 500 won and 450 lost approx. You can also get total newbies with 18k or someone who would be probably around 7 kyu on KGS.

For a thick skinned kyu, this seems a great way to improve fast. Play even games against people stronger than you. So long as you review each game to figure our what went wrong, you will likely improve in real skill faster than a system with no sandbaggers.

If you care about ratings and winning more than improving, it sounds like hell.

This post by wineandgolover was liked by: xed_over

Post #75 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:57 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 38
wineandgolover wrote:
Krama wrote:

For a thick skinned kyu, this seems a great way to improve fast. Play even games against people stronger than you. So long as you review each game to figure our what went wrong, you will likely improve in real skill faster than a system with no sandbaggers.

If you care about ratings and winning more than improving, it sounds like hell.

How can I review a game when a high dan player destroys me completely. There is nothing to review since they get in complex fighting and I can't read that far ahead.

Post #76 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:30 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
You lost the fight for a reason beyond reading, in all likelihood. Whether that be bad shape, unwillingness to sacrifice, whatever. The review might be short, but could just be, "Damn, why did I try to save those stones!?! They weren't even cutting stones." Get punished for this a few times, and you'll do it a lot less.

Even if you do just get out-read, the practice will still help you get stronger.

For the record, I am not thick-skinned enough for this, and would get annoyed, too. But, I wish I wasn't.

Post #77 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:59 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
Kirby wrote:
Pippen wrote:

Tygem is most popular in Korea, but i'd bet it's not most popular in Japan or China.

Anyway, overall, Tygem has better features, more strong players, etc. I can't think of a single reason that wbaduk/cyberoro is better. There's also the snowball effect - when more people are on a server, it's more fun, so more people join the server.

But to be practical, why not try both servers and decide for yourself?

Actually, Tygem is most likely the most popular in China too (under "YiCheng").

Post #78 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Krama wrote:
they get in complex fighting and I can't read that far ahead.

...yet

This post by Mef was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, xed_over

Post #79 Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:10 am 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 2
KGS: xoxo88
Tygem: IxoxoI
IGS: xoxo
Quote:

true. high dans give you lecture games? "thanks alot guys!" should be the reaction. why pros dont do that for lets say 5d ranks??? :(

Post #80 Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:23 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 11
Tygem: shiva
When I was around 9k I would get demolished by the 18-15k Tygem players. Now at KGS 2k/IGS 4k, I've learned not to get fool by the overplay. You have to get accustomed to the play style, which is fast and aggressive. If you just make strong groups in the opening, most times you can punish your opponents thin shape. One thing I tried on Tygem that caused me to lose so much, was constantly trying to punish my opponent. In local fighting, typically my opponents have an edge, you have to play thinking globally. Sometimes you have to just let it slide. It taught me to not be greedy and hasty. Now I play at Tygem 1k.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next