Post subject: Tygem user names
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:15 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 18
KGS: bleep
Tygem: rbleep
IGS: rbleep
I have started playing again on the Tygem server, and so far am really enjoying it. I notice that a vast number of people I play against don't appear to have 'names' as such, but usernames like 'kfjjshs875428' and 'vsvsvsvsvsvs999999'. Is this just as a result of translation issues, or do all of the 1000's of players that play there have their names chosen by HAL9000?

Post subject: Re: Tygem user names
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:24 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
bleep wrote:
I have started playing again on the Tygem server, and so far am really enjoying it. I notice that a vast number of people I play against don't appear to have 'names' as such, but usernames like 'kfjjshs875428' and 'vsvsvsvsvsvs999999'. Is this just as a result of translation issues, or do all of the 1000's of players that play there have their names chosen by HAL9000?

They have registered for Tygem using one of the Asian clients which don't have English input for usernames. I'm not sure why the usernames are rendered that way - it could be system assigned.

Post subject: Re: Tygem user names
Post #3 Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:18 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
It doesn't appear to be the case in the sample names you provided, but I've noticed interesting names where I found a pattern before. For example, on Tygem I saw a player named, "gksrnrwja". Seems like a random name, right? Well, if you use a typical layout for the Korean keyboard, and type those letters, you get 한국점. Doesn't seem so random anymore. Still, kind of an odd name (한국 is for Korea/Korean and 점 can mean a few things: eg. dot, store, fortune-telling), but at least it appears to have some semblance of an intended meaning - more than gksrnrwja, for sure.

I've seen a few usernames that have more sensible names using another language of keyboard. I wonder if some of the names you see follow this pattern.