All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions on Tygem
Post #1 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 31
KGS: 2d
I am playing at Tygem more and more and I got two questions:

1. When I finish a game I wanna review it like when I play on KGS. But I can only review the game without changing any moves. Even worse Tygem saves its game in gib-Format and I just have CGoban3 that doesn'T support that. Does tygem have no client where I can review/modify games like in other clients?

2. There is a button: AI Game. Does that mean I'd play a bot there? Because there appears always the same bot "Silver Star (8k)". Do these game also count for the ranking?

3. Is there any help page that explains Tygem in detail? So far I just found very barebone help pages that only explain the most basic stuff.

Post subject: Re: Questions on Tygem
Post #2 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:26 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 128
Pippen wrote:
But I can only review the game without changing any moves. Even worse Tygem saves its game in gib-Format and I just have CGoban3 that doesn'T support that. Does tygem have no client where I can review/modify games like in other clients?

Have you tried the "preplay" button in review mode? Anyway, I don't know if that's doing an online-review (i.e. if your opponent can see what you're doing) or not. When you observe a game and one of the players starts a review afterwards, the (English) tygem client usually spits a lot of error msgs at you.. So not entirely sure about reviewing-functionality as you enjoy it on KGS. But anyway, just use the "preplay" button for going through variations.

As for the weird format, there are tools for conversion to sgf, see here.

Pippen wrote:
AI Game

I wouldn't hit that button. I don't know what it does. It just scares me.

Pippen wrote:
Is there any help page that explains Tygem in detail? So far I just found very barebone help pages that only explain the most basic stuff.

Most functionality seems pretty self-explanatory to me. (Except maybe the AI-Button. Don't click on that, I beg you.)

As a side note: one thing that really bugs me about tygem is that when the game ends the client just marks groups as dead and alive automatically and then gives me 10 seconds to either agree or disagree. (I usually panick and just click agree. Anyway, up to now it wasn't a problem because the marking was always right. But what if some bent4 in the corner weirdness happens? ..)

On wbaduk you can just mark dead groups at the end of the game. Is it true you can't do that with the English tygem client?

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:30 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Pippen, MultiGo supports .gib.

I'm not fond of Tygem's client. (*)

(*) Understatement.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Thx, leichtlöslich, it works.

@edleee: Yeah, I know multigo, I just don't wanna have multiple go-clients on my computer.

Tygem - in many ways - is still mysterious to me. What is the AI game? What are "points" for? Why is "opening" just for "members" and how can u become one and what will u see then? But I kind of like it, no idea why though^^.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:17 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 4
KGS: nacrox
Opening show patterns of pro games i think, it's like playing with a joseki dictionary (But koreans are too overplay people to use joseki :P)

AI game is a game with bots (AI = Artificial Intelligence)

Tygem is great for countering overplays and getting a good feel for fighting. But you shouldn't play as tygem users as they tend to play small moves or overplay a lot XD

Post #6 Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
nacroxnicke wrote:
Tygem is great for countering overplays and getting a good feel for fighting. But you shouldn't play as tygem users as they tend to play small moves or overplay a lot XD

Then it should be really easy to win? :)

Post #7 Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:02 am 
Lives in gote

Here's another one: One can use a score estimator during the game which is quite convenient (and makes the Goplayer lazier and lazier^^). In my last game I read: Black wins by 8 (without Dum). If "Dum" means Komi then it's a pretty tight ballgame, so does it mean "Komi"? (so that Black must always substract 6.5)

Do you guys think that Tygem has a future or will it be gone in 5 years?

Post #8 Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 702
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
I believe tygem is the largest go server in the world. I would expect KGS to fail before Tygem does.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:38 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
Tygem is weird with the iPad client as well. I have logged in a couple of times and tried the queue, but it timed out and I didn't find an opponent to play. Picking a server is also a little confusing, since there are many servers to choose from, and the English one doesn't seem very popular, and many of the Chinese or Korean servers are filled to capacity.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I would expect Tygem to be last server standing.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:23 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Pippen wrote:
Here's another one: One can use a score estimator during the game which is quite convenient (and makes the Goplayer lazier and lazier^^). In my last game I read: Black wins by 8 (without Dum). If "Dum" means Komi then it's a pretty tight ballgame, so does it mean "Komi"? (so that Black must always substract 6.5)

Score estimator can be turned off when setting up the game.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:44 am 
Lives in gote

I feel that Tygem is a more "nastier" place (but in a positive sense). People there fight harder and find "holes" you would not see people from KGS find. I'd compare KGS and Tygem with soccer and rugby^^.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:32 pm 
Lives in gote

What stands "RP" (rating points) for? Let's say there are two players A and B and both are 3D's. A has 20.000 RP, B has 21.000 RP. Does that mean that B is the better 3D? Or what sense does RP make at all when u have ranks already?

Post #14 Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
Pippen wrote:

I thought dum meant if the other side wasn't dumb and didn't do something stupid to lose points and the game.

This post by Abyssinica was liked by: zac

Post #15 Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:45 am 
Lives in gote

What stands "RP" (rating points) for? Let's say there are two players A and B and both are 3D's. A has 20.000 RP, B has 21.000 RP. Does that mean that B is the better 3D? Or what sense does RP make at all when u have ranks already?

Post #16 Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:26 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
This obviously works like the EGF rating points. You'll be 1d when you have 2088 points, but also when you have 2111 points.

Post #17 Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:02 pm 
Lives in gote

karaklis wrote:
This obviously works like the EGF rating points. You'll be 1d when you have 2088 points, but also when you have 2111 points.

But that'd mean that the 2111-1d is better than the 2088-1d, right? The problem is that Tygem doesn't seem to need RP's because it's already fixed when you will increase your rank (14 wins out of 20 games against equal opponents). So I do not see a sense in it....