It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scheduling a tournament
Post #1 Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
Suppose the tournament organiser has full five days for an eight round tournament. Assume the main thinking as 90 minutes for a player. Which schedule you would prefer (games in a day): 2, 1, 2, 1, 2 or 2, 2, 0, 2, 2?

P.S. I don't know, if it would be more appropriate to post this in tournaments or club leaders.

Post subject: Re: Scheduling a tournament
Post #2 Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I five days I would much prefer ten games. But the choice between the two options you offer would depend on location. If it were somewhere I had not been before and there was something to see then I would prefer the middle day off. If there were nothing much to see then the other schedule would be preferable and I would stay around and play pickup games on the afternoons off.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:10 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
I'd prefer 1,2,2,2,1, start late on the first day, finish early on the last day. Otherwise, from your options I'd prefer the day off in the middle.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:44 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
The London Open is similar to Herman's suggestion: it is over 4 days, 7 rounds with 90 mins each. On the first day it starts after lunch but has 2 games (so a late finish), a morning and afternoon game on the two middle days, and then on the last day only a morning game. That makes travel easier (if it's doable in a half day). If this was a tournament in Finland that I was going to from the UK then I would likely not be able to get there in a morning but travel the day (or two) before in which case I'd prefer a 2 2 0 2 2 schedule to have a rest/sightseeing day.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
HermanHiddema wrote:
I'd prefer 1,2,2,2,1, start late on the first day, finish early on the last day. Otherwise, from your options I'd prefer the day off in the middle.

With Full five days I meant that there is time to play two rounds on the first and last day. Of course if the time is short you option is a choice. Anyway full five days would likely be from Monday to Friday rather than over extended weekend.

So 2,2,0,2,2 seems preferable. However 2,1,2,1,2 might allow a bit longer thinking time like 120 minutes.

Anaway I don't currently have any real plans for that kind of tournament.