It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handicap variation & other variations
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
I've had a few ideas for some variations in the game of Go. Neither of them should/would become official, but regular players might play them just to mix things up a bit and further improve their skills in playing Go a little bit different.

Handicap Variation
The handicap variation is as follows: the game is played at a regular game of go, but the strongest player gets the weakest player's handicap stones in his basket. (The actual amount should be less than the current handicap, because the impact is more severe I think) The stronger player isn't allow to look at his stones before he plays them. He then plays the game as usual but at one point he'll play a move and "accidentaly" play a black stone there instead of his white stones. Bam, handicap.

Colored Gems Variation - Strategy
There are colored gems on the board before the game begins. This could be on a few spaces, but this could also be full-board. There are different colors. The board can be divided into zones of these colors.
Players get additional points or lose points for playing in a specific zone/color.
That way you could challenge players to mix up their playing style.
For example in one game you could have the 4-4 and 3-3 points neutral stones but the 5-4 point a 0,5 point stone. Players would be encouraged to open with 5-4, while they wouldn't do that in a regular game.

I'd take a lot of test-playing and good readers to figure out the exact value of the colored gems, though.

Colored Gems Variation - Real Time
The other variation is where there is some sort of judge/referee following the game and the colored gems appear during the game for a few moves. They change depending on the game situation. This could also be a handicap rule, as the referee might make the stronger player's obvious moves negative points.
That way, a player will have a real strong answer to a problem but that gem might turn into a -3 points. Does he still play it? Is it worth losing 3 points? Is there an alternative to get the same position but from another angle?

Don't take these ideas too seriously. I just had them in my head and I thought they might be fun for some people. I understand some of these concepts drastically change the game but some could even be used to teach or might just turn into a lot of fun and big laughs (I can already imagine a big capture but realizing you played a black stone instead of white)

Post subject: Re: Handicap variation & other variations
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:12 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I've played a variant like the first one, but with both players getting the same number of the opponent's stones in their bowl. We call it traitor go.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:25 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
It would make sense to require commitment to a move before a stone is selected in traitor go.

Otherwise, upon realizing the different colored stone, you can change your choice of move.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:01 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
The first variation you suggest is little more than gambling. May as well just play bangneki if all you want is to gamble. At least it would still produce real go.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:00 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
DrStraw wrote:
The first variation you suggest is little more than gambling. May as well just play bangneki if all you want is to gamble. At least it would still produce real go.

Hmm I don't fully agree.
Say the stronger player has 2 black stones in his basket.
That means that the game starts even and twice during the game (potentially, not all stones are used) he will pull a black stone instead of white. it'll put him in a tough situation but he's the better player, it's a challenge to work with.
Still a way from gambling I think.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:35 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 32
When designing handicap rules, make sure that the stronger player has an incentive to play such a game. Simply just to try something new, probably won't cut it. In the end it's he who gives time to teach somebody weaker.

When I play a weaker player, I want some of the following to be true:
- it helps the weaker player improve
- it improves my play
- there is a social aspect to it
- it doesn't last longer than an hour

With the hidden black stones in its bowl, the stronger player won't learn a thing. The outcome will very much depend on luck. The weaker player might learn as much as in a non-handi game, if at all. I'd rather play traitor go on even terms. Probably more so, when you can change your move when seeing that you grabbed an opponent colored stone and use it to fill some opponents eyes..

IIRC, some pros in korea played a go variant on a smaller board with hidden traps, hidden treasures and fancy stuff, presented as a live game show. There were some links from this forum (or godiscussions), but I can't remember the name.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:38 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
bayu wrote:
IIRC, some pros in korea played a go variant on a smaller board with hidden traps, hidden treasures and fancy stuff, presented as a live game show. There were some links from this forum (or godiscussions), but I can't remember the name.
Batoo

This post by Solomon was liked by: bayu

Post #8 Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:10 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 32
Right, batoo. Unfortunately there is also a different computer game of the same name.

I don't know, whether it is still popular. Have a taster. Not knowing neither the rules nor korean doesn't stop me from finding it hilarius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RLEda7UlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS_HagCF5zM