All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Recent rules debate on Baduk TV
Post #61 Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:27 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 788
palapiku wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
Here we see another carelessness of you: You did not consider your own made assumptions carefully! You presumed a repeated position, i.e., your assumptions did not allow for ko rules that would have prohibited repeated positions. In particular PSK is disallowed under your implied assumptions. Therefore single-stone suicide does not behave as you wish ALA we use your implied assumptions from your problem request message.

Sorry, I still don't understand, and I think you don't understand me either. First of all I'm not interested in cycles, either positional or situational.

You had written: "Positional repetition doesn't necessarily lead to a non-terminating game"

Positional repetition DOES CREATE A CYCLE! The cycle from the previous occurance of a position to its repeated occurrance. Therefore your new statement "First of all I'm not interested in cycles" contradicts your earlier statement. This is an example why I may correctly write "Here we see another carelessness of you: You did not consider your own made assumptions carefully!". Etc. But as long as you do not understand what you wrote (that it implies a cycle), it is pointless to continue discussion.

Quote:
First of all I'm not interested in cycles, either positional or situational. I'm only interested in non-terminating games.

Non-terminating go games contain cycles! Proof: The number of positions is finite. Therefore the number of possible sequences is finite. Therefore positions are repeated.

Quote:
Theoretically, cycles of any kind are harmless as long as the game ends.

Depends on what you call harmless.

Quote:
It's non-termination that superko is meant to address.

Superko wants something more specific: Prevent repetition in a board-global sense.

Quote:
The problem with PSK is precisely that it prohibits situations which don't lead to non-terminating games

Which and under EXACTLY WHICH SET OF ASSUMPTIONS?

Quote:
such as the suicide of one stone.

Recycling of (Suicide of one stone followed by a single pass) leads to a non-terminating game.

Immediate repetition of (Suicide of one stone) does not exist because it does not abide the alternation of turns principle.

Quote:
it doesn't lead to non-termination and therefore should not fall under the jurisdiction of a superko rule.

Whether it leads to non-termination depends on what you consider: Intervening single passes or none of them.

Post #62 Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:04 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
RobertJasiek wrote:
Positional repetition DOES CREATE A CYCLE! The cycle from the previous occurance of a position to its repeated occurrance. Therefore your new statement "First of all I'm not interested in cycles" contradicts your earlier statement. This is an example why I may correctly write "Here we see another carelessness of you: You did not consider your own made assumptions carefully!". Etc. But as long as you do not understand what you wrote (that it implies a cycle), it is pointless to continue discussion.

I agree that it's pointless to continue discussion. I'm sorry I ever bothered.

Post #63 Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
Back to the original topic, Kim Yun-Yeong just won this game against Rui Naiwei in the first round of the Women's Kiseong. That's got to make her feel better.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #64 Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:35 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
I think that whoever wrote that record down omitted some moves on the left side.

Post #65 Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
She just won the tournament. Talk about a quick comeback! Here's the game record, no missing moves this time:
This seems to be part of the larger phenomenon of young, low ranked new professionals outperforming the veteran players. Another similar recent case is that of the Quzhou Lake Cup, where Xie He 7P defeated Jiang Weijie 5P to win the title. All 9 dans, including Gu Li and Kong Jie, were eliminated even before the semi-finals! Here's the record:

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War